This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irritating Youtube Issue...

Hey all. Run into a hiccup recently that I'm finding rather infuriating.

As of about a week ago, seemingly at random, videos on Youtube will simply stop loading, usually somewhere around the 2-minute mark of playback. It stops spooling and then sits forever on the loading spinny thing.

Firefox and Flash Player are fully updated, I haven't changed any addon settings, nor has my ISP done anything different, and nothing on the Youtube pages themselves is blocked by AdBlock or NoScript. FF purges its own temp files on every close. I've manually dumped my cache and cookies multiple times. Reloading the video doesn't help (even control-refreshing), closing Firefox doesn't help, and there are some videos that I first noticed this on that -still- won't play a week later - and I shut my PC down completely on a nightly basis.

What really kills me is that there is no rhyme or reason to what videos glitch out - three minutes long or thirty, any number of channels or posters, even within the same playlist (one video refuses to play, the previous and next do just fine). Youtube and Google's own help is completely useless on this - anyone at all have a clue?
    Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
    They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Not a clue but small suggestion... have you tried to see if the problem is replicated using a different browser? It would help narrow down whether it's an odd Firefox problem or not.
    Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Try disabling DASH playback in Youtube. Not sure if it's available in the normal options -- I use the YouTube Center add-on to handle it. Disabling DASH makes YT buffer the whole video instead of doing it in "chunks;" note that this may make certain video resolutions unavailable.

Alternatively, I have found that clicking on the timeline to "rewind" the video by a few seconds sometimes kicks YT back into gear.
      Last edited by EricKei; 06-08-2014, 01:58 PM.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Cazzi View Post
        Not a clue but small suggestion... have you tried to see if the problem is replicated using a different browser? It would help narrow down whether it's an odd Firefox problem or not.
        I'll admit I have not; FF is the only browser I have installed.

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Try disabling DASH playback in Youtube. Not sure if it's available in the normal options -- I use the YouTube Center add-on to handle it. Disabling DASH makes YT buffer the whole video instead of doing it in "chunks;" note that this may make certain video resolutions unavailable.

Alternatively, I have found that clicking on the timeline to "rewind" the video by a few seconds sometimes kicks YT back into gear.
        Youtube has options? Huh. I'll give it a shot, though I must admit I'm loth to install an addon to something that's worked for years to fix a problem that started last week. Re. rewinding a tick, unfortunately that just sticks on the loading spinny forever.

Comment

DASH is a terrible, terrible thing. I used to buffer entire videos before putting my laptop to sleep and heading off somewhere. Now I can no longer do that. Youtube Center does let you turn that crap off, but it caused other problems for me.

Now, if I have problems with a video I'll just fire up one of my youtube downloaders (atube catcher or YTD Video Downloader) and snatch the damn thing.
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

A brief followup - while I'm no closer to an actual solution, I have found one thing. Videos only appear to glitch out on me (knock wood) when I'm actually viewing in playlist mode - if I'm playing them individually, everything seems to work okay.

Comment

Apologies for double-posting, but I've another brief followup - I tried switching to the HTML5 player, and though I had to tinker with my Adblock/Noscript settings, things appear to have improved somewhat. I will cautiously say that I haven't -yet- hit a video that isn't available in the HTML5 player, though I've only tested a handful, and it actually seems to spool an entire video like the site used to.

Comment

My computer has started doing the same thing. Stopping partway in and then the circle thingy (sorry to get so technical)goes on forever. It will do this often and seemingly forever. I use Google Chrome or IE10. Firefox does not work for me and seems to cause more problems.
                "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Working...
                X