This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
    Should I put more warnings on that? I figured anyone who knew me would know for me to call something dark means it's pretty bad, and the quotes around "joke"... but with at least two people now potentially traumatized...
    Nah, you're fine. It's not the "joke" but the reminder of the reality of the situation that's got me going 'ewww'.
    I enjoy history, and history is not gentle.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My city can get pretty cold, in my opinion. But it infrequently gets below 0F. Still, there are plenty of homeless people found frozen to death outside in their sleeping bags. It never makes the news, but my dad is a police officer, so he tells me about it. They've nicknamed them "bumsicles". It's twisted, but with his job, you have to develop a sense of humor or else you'll end up losing your mind.

Most of the homeless they find dead in the morning were also extremely drunk, so they were probably fortunate enough to not feel anything.
      "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

I hate to say it, but for everyone who's said "give shelter names!", I have to tell you there's really not much the OP can do about that. Just about every single shelter here in Edmonton is full up, and then some. The city is trying to SHUT DOWN our shelters because "they don't do much" or are a "drain on the city resources". It's a major problem here. I'm not going to full detail though, because I don't particularly follow the stories all that well. (Not for lack of trying though). And I don't want to head into fratching territory either!

Anyway, Edmonton Int'l recorded a record-making -46.1C. I work indoors and I wore a sweater all that day, despite the heaters in the airport going full-blast. My roommate, poor bastard, works OUTSIDE on the ramps. They literally COULD NOT do their de-icing because their de-ice mix FROZE SOLID. It's rated to -42C. My roommate also wears some heavy-duty winter clothing and he almost had to double up on his clothes that day.

And Broomjockey - too true! If you've never been to Canada before, and you decide DECEMBER is the time to come here... DO YOUR RESEARCH. PLEASE. No, that fancy jacket that says "Rated to 5F (-4C)" is not going to protect you in a -30C weather. Trust me. I have lived here my entire life. I wear 5 jackets, a toque, an 11-ft scarf, two pairs of gloves, two pairs of pants and a fleece-and-wool cloak and i'm STILL cold.
        "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
        ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

Quoth Munkie View Post
          And Broomjockey - too true! If you've never been to Canada before, and you decide DECEMBER is the time to come here...
          Yeah, I think Broom's been to Canadalandialand in the winter a time or two before...

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            Yeah, I think Broom's been to Canadalandialand in the winter a time or two before...

Rapscallion
            I think it'd be technically about 6 times, though for very extended visits each time.

Quoth Munkie View Post
            I have lived here my entire life. I wear 5 jackets, a toque, an 11-ft scarf, two pairs of gloves, two pairs of pants and a fleece-and-wool cloak and i'm STILL cold.
            My winter gear is my winter boots (which I just purchased, and are a size too small ), a pair of gloves that I wear when it's above -15C, and a different pair for when it's under -15C, a heavy coat, a pair of sweat pants over my jeans, and a sweater over my shirt, and I just picked up a nice face mask to replace my old toque. And it's rather overkill for anything above -20C.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I live near (just south of) Ottawa, and honestly, I've seen local temperatures hovering near -40 not counting Windchill a few times.

At least Ottawa knows that having Frozen Homeless isn't a good thing, and has a rather hefty slush fund for shelters in the city.

Now, in Rural areas, it's a whole other story; when your next-door neighbour is nearly a mile away, in a straight line, no less, you're going to be spending nearly all of winter in your home, wearing about 10 heavy wool blankets on top of at least 2 parkas.

Comment

Quoth Salted Grump View Post
                I live near (just south of) Ottawa, and honestly, I've seen local temperatures hovering near -40 not counting Windchill a few times.

At least Ottawa knows that having Frozen Homeless isn't a good thing, and has a rather hefty slush fund for shelters in the city.

Now, in Rural areas, it's a whole other story; when your next-door neighbour is nearly a mile away, in a straight line, no less, you're going to be spending nearly all of winter in your home, wearing about 10 heavy wool blankets on top of at least 2 parkas.
                Yeah that or they stuff themselves in the heated OC transpo shelters.

Usually February is the coldest month of a Canadian winter, but when you live in the Great White North you learn to be ready for winter whether during any period between the start of october and mid april (or year round if you're in Alberta!)
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

As the old joke goes; Canada has the full selection of seasons. Winter, More Winter, Colder Winter, and Hockey.

Comment

Working...
                  X