Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 08-17-2019, 06:16 AM
JAFP

I never understand this kind of ranting at the employee level. WE DO NOT MAKE DECISIONS! Call corporate. Boycott the store. Start a group so that corporate may pay attention. Oh no, that requires effort, she just wants to do her "good deed for the day" and tell everyone how these things cost jobs.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:36 AM
Tarot-carrying novelist.

You're the one they can see, so they'll take their rage out wherever it is most convenient. Calling corporate would require effort and thinking, as where melting like a volcano immediately is easy to do.

Though I'm afraid I do not share the optimistic view of self-checkouts that I seem to be reading. Jobs are for people, not machines.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:08 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Quoth Android Kaeli View Post

Honestly I like self checkout, because 9 out of 10 times there's almost no one using it so I don't have to wait a half hour to get to the front of the line.
If I have several items to purchase and/or am not in a big hurry I'll go to a manned register. If I only have one or two things and want to get out quickly I'll use self-checkout.

Sometimes it's worth it to get on with life and not be stuck waiting behind Karen challenging the prices on everything in her cart and demanding the cashier accept her 12 expired coupons while her 4 kids orbit her in a frenzy of checklane-wrecking destruction.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Old 08-18-2019, 11:34 PM
Den Mother

Or, another tactic to use here with these rock-chewers is to simply ask if they would like to speak to a manager and then call one on your radio to come over for a customer assist.

While waiting for the manager to come to deal with the situation (ie, earn their paycheck) you can simply do the "Nod and smile" with an occasional "Bless your heart" thrown in for good measure.

May work, may not but at least they can't accuse you of not caring . . . .

Old 08-19-2019, 01:16 AM
Area Manager

The alternative that I plan to try when I win the lottery is to ignore them totally until they really crank up the siren, and then turn my nicest smile on them and say, "Oh, I'm sorry, did you say something?"

Old 08-19-2019, 03:13 AM
Assistant Manager

Quote:
Quoth XCashier View Post
Yeah, she didn't want to hear reason, she just wanted to bitch. People like that, you just have to ignore their ranting.

And her response of made me want to reach through the screen and I hate bigots.
...and what would you like to bet that if she ever encountered a person who couldn't work due to a disability, she'd whine about the 'freeloader' living off the taxpayers?

Yes, I've encountered her type. Many, many times. She's not happy unless she's making someone else miserable. There's really no rationale otherwise. I just remember that she must have a miserable life indeed if that's the only way she can validate herself.

Last edited by CyberLurch; 08-19-2019 at 03:16 AM. Reason: added a thought

Old 08-19-2019, 11:10 PM
Pedestrian of the Apocalypse

The nasty woman from the OP is... I have no polite words, and can't really articulate the impolite ones.

I had a few people rant at me when I was still at the wholesale club about the self-checkouts when we installed them. The whole "they're taking away jobs!!one!eleventybang" stuff. My response was a shrug and explaining they'd installed them toward the end of the summer, when we were going to be losing a lot of cashiers anyway to the start of the school year.

There are only four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Old 08-20-2019, 10:30 PM
Injector of Radioactive Things

Quote:
Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
Sometimes it's worth it to get on with life and not be stuck waiting behind Karen challenging the prices on everything in her cart and demanding the cashier accept her 12 expired coupons while her 4 kids orbit her in a frenzy of checklane-wrecking destruction.
I see we shopped at the same store the other day. And then my three year old told me he had to potty.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:08 AM
Pune Massacreeist

Quote:
Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
I see we shopped at the same store the other day. And then my three year old told me he had to potty.
Sweetie, you can potty in her bags.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:18 AM
Area Manager

Do NOT tell a Southerner, "Bless your heart." Just don't. We (Southern born, Southern bred.. and I hope like heck I'll be Northern dead...) all know it's a polite way of calling someone a rock-chewer. And don't say, "Bless your ever-loving heart," either. You're implying that they gargle gravel too! :P

I learned to really tip them over the edge by just nodding and agreeing with everything they rant about. They're crazy. They're just the only ones that don't realize it yet.