This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front end staff at Kroger needs help with new supervisor/manager trainee

The front-end cashiers and courtesy clerks/baggers need help dealing with a new supervisor/manager trainee whose approach at supervising/managing the front end is causing the front end employees to want to do the following....

I have spoken to several front end employees the past 2 days, and they feel that way.

This particular supervisor/manager trainee leaves me emotionally and physically worn out at the end of my shift

We need help dealing with her.

What is the best way to deal with her that will not cause us to get into trouble?

So, what is she doing that's making you angry and worn out?
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
      So, what is she doing that's making you angry and worn out?
      The short version of this is....

She is a high maintenance supervisor/management trainee

How do you deal with supervisor/managers who are like this?

When she is supervising/managing at work, she is like a hurricane or a tornado.

The impression I get from her, by the way she acts, is that she is afraid of something, and she is projecting her fears onto the front-end staff.

We should not be dealing with her fears.
      Last edited by snugglegirl05; 07-25-2018, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Update

I found out today from one of the courtesy clerks/baggers that this particular supervisor/manager trainee and one of the front-end cashiers got into an argument at the front-end in front of everyone.

Apparently the cashier got tired of the supervisor/manager trainee continuously calling her back to the front while she was on her break, and so she told her she was a bitch in front of everyone at the front-end.

The 2 of them then argued back and forth while the customers, cashiers, and courtesy clerks/baggers looked on.

Neither were at work today.

Comment

This is bad. Your coworker that called her a b will get in trouble for this, but when upper management finds out why, there will be more trouble for the manager trainee. With any luck, she will be moved to a different store with a hard learned lesson.

Comment

Yeah, not good... That employee would have been better off to complain to whoever is above the manager in training about the break issues. It's my understanding that employees are supposed to have uninterrupted breaks.

My way of dealing with a whirlwind manager is not glamorous or exciting. The more stressed and hyper they get, the more calm I get. Often this makes the other person look even more crazy, because of the contrasting behavior between me and them. This is how I dealt with many sucky customers, but when Old Manager was at the fabric store she was pretty anxious and I responded by slowing down and being very precise. I'm sure there is another, better, way but I don't know it.

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
              Apparently the cashier got tired of the supervisor/manager trainee continuously calling her back to the front while she was on her break
              This is why employees learn to physically leave the workplace while on breaks.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                This is why employees learn to physically leave the workplace while on breaks.
                That would be great, but at the Kroger I work at you get a paid break if you stay at the store, and an unpaid break if you leave the store.

So if you want to leave the store, you have to clock out for your 30 minute break, & clock back in when you return.

So if you work an 8 hour shift and decide to leave for lunch, you only get paid for 7.5 hours.

Comment

...Is this a state thing? I've never heard of anything like that here.

At my current and previous work it is always 15 minute paid break, 30 minute unpaid lunch, and then another 15 minute paid break. That's for an 8 hour shift. We stood up to New Manager at the fabric store when she said you could only leave the store for your 15 minute break if you were a smoker. Everyone collectively said "nope!" and continued leaving the store.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    ...Is this a state thing? I've never heard of anything like that here.

At my current and previous work it is always 15 minute paid break, 30 minute unpaid lunch, and then another 15 minute paid break. That's for an 8 hour shift. We stood up to New Manager at the fabric store when she said you could only leave the store for your 15 minute break if you were a smoker. Everyone collectively said "nope!" and continued leaving the store.
                    Probably it's a Kroger thing. Maybe even a "This particular location" thing. I suspect this "policy" came about for exactly the reason that the coworker complained of...so that employees can be pulled off break if there's an "emergency" rush or something.

Comment

If things are hitting the fan, I typically don't mind getting pulled off a break every once in awhile. That said, my break starts all over if that happens (can't remember if that's a company thing or a state thing, but it doesn't matter). So if they interrupt me at 29:59 of a 30:00 break and tell me to get back right then and there and I'm feeling particularly vindictive, my 30 starts over.

I've never had to be like that, but I have started over after 10-15 minutes because someone had a question I needed to answer or wanted images sent to another location or whathaveyou.
                      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

The other option is to not respond. I was in the break room when an employee was paged. He went on eating his lunch. Some one said, "Dave, maintenance is being paged." He said, "I'm eating my lunch."

One week I was attending a wedding, and a customer insisted that that Saturday was the only day her precious daughter could come in for a fitting. I told her I wasn't scheduled to work that day, but I would be there at 1:30. I left the wedding reception, drove to work, and was there at 1:30. I waited...until 2:00. I had the presence of mind to speak to the sales person in that department, and told her I was waiting for someone. I asked her to check her watch before I left, what time did her watch say? We agreed it was 2 p.m. I then said, I waited for 30 minutes, I'm leaving. I was halfway to the exit when I heard my page. I kept walking, out to my car, back to the wedding.

Comment

Working...
                        X