This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
    Especially once the end users have gotten their hands on them.
    ...or because they're cheaply-built pieces of shit to begin with. When my boss was still somewhat involved with the company, he'd buy equipment solely based on price. He didn't seem to care about if it could actually handle the load we'd put on it. Naturally, whatever he bought, was crap. Then he'd scream at me when it failed, and it took "too long" to fix it.

He actually backed off after I snapped at him. I was in the server room, server is apart (panels and doors off the case), and I'm trying to run tests. As expected, the hard drives (which were too close together--not ideal for heat transfer!) had overheated, and crashed. I'm trying to get some space between them, to increase the airflow, and he just wouldn't bugger off. So I lost it--something like "what the FUCK do you want now?" Surprisingly, I kept my job. He just turned at left. But at the time...

At least he left me alone after that, unlike J. After several hours of moving drives around, trying to test the data's integrity, backing it up onto disc, etc. I had the entire thing ported onto one of the other less-shitty machines and ran it like that until the server could be replaced.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
    X