This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwelcome Guest at Work

Last night, our team was getting ready to go home. As we were at the top of the stairs, we were stopped by a security guard. He was busy killing a tiny copperhead snake that somehow found its way into our building.

Although the security guard took care of it without human casualties, this does make me worried about having another snake sneak its way into the building.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

"Snake sneak" is my new phrase. So if I came upon a snake I would be startled and jump but my next impulse would be "Ooh, pet--pretty!" My friend is that way about cats, including the big ones. I tell her "That's how you're gonna die one day."
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

As an Aussie, can I just say 'Argh! Snake! There's a snake! Argh!' (Does the freaked out dance.) I have the heebie jeebies now.

Don't want to freak you out any further, but did you ever see the snake vs spider under someone's desk photo series? It was pre-facebook days and was sent around via email. I think I saw it 4 or 5 times.
      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Old Tom T's waiting in the hall for y'all... Sneaky Snake
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          "Snake sneak" is my new phrase. So if I came upon a snake I would be startled and jump but my next impulse would be "Ooh, pet--pretty!" My friend is that way about cats, including the big ones. I tell her "That's how you're gonna die one day."
          You do not want to pet a copperhead. Although its bite isn't usually fatal, it's still a venomous snake. You do not want to put your hand near the head.

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
            I just say 'Argh! Snake! There's a snake! Argh!'
            Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger...etc...
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Had a little snake slither his way into a storage room where I worked a few jobs back. I'm pretty sure he was a little corn snake, but he sure pretended he was a big tough rattler. Shook his tail, curved into an "S", struck at the bottom of my boot when I put it in front of him... I got him into a box (using a ~3' long piece of welding rod to do so!) and dumped him back outside.
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

The Wife found a snake skin just outside the kitchen door. Measured out at about 5'. Looks to be a black snake.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                  Had a little snake slither his way into a storage room where I worked a few jobs back. I'm pretty sure he was a little corn snake, but he sure pretended he was a big tough rattler. Shook his tail, curved into an "S", struck at the bottom of my boot when I put it in front of him...
                  That is the cutest thing I've read all day!
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My cousin who lives in Texas posted a picture on FB of the shed snakeskin she found under her stove when she moved it to clean under it. She didn't say what kind of snake it was from, or if she could tell, but I know there's several kinds of venomous snakes in TX. Not a surprise I'd want when cleaning the kitchen!
                    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

On the other hand, it could have been catching mice! Don't want mice either. Stinky little bastards.

Not that I'd want to find a snake or remnant thereof in my home either, let's be clear.... Nor would I want a home that porous!

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
                        On the other hand, it could have been catching mice! Don't want mice either. Stinky little bastards.
                        !
                        This is partially the reason why my dad had no problem with a blue-tongue that hung around our garden - it meant that my parents never had a slug or snail problem.

The first time around, he picked it up (and let me hold it wearing gardening gloves) and took it across the road. It came back, so he did it again. Third time around, it had babies (and I got to hold one of them - it was adorable ) so dad let it and the babies hang around.

When the cats came around, the eldest (Mitchell) wouldn't go near the damn thing, while the younger one (Oscar) would gently poke it (no claws) as if to say "What is this thing?" whenever it was out sunning itself.

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post

Not that I'd want to find a snake or remnant thereof in my home either, let's be clear.... Nor would I want a home that porous!
                          I grew up in deep country, in an old farmhouse. We had a garter snake that lived under the stove (presumably there was a hole there somewhere too). He helped keep down the mouse population and never got in our way, so we let him stay.

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                            I grew up in deep country, in an old farmhouse. We had a garter snake that lived under the stove (presumably there was a hole there somewhere too). He helped keep down the mouse population and never got in our way, so we let him stay.
                            Sounds like you both got something good out of the deal. The snake got warmth and food, you got free pest control.

I want a pet snake, darn it.
                            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                              That's how we had cats as pets when I was growing up. When my parents moved into the house, the former owner had a chicken coop that was infested with rats. The cats hung around because of the rats. My dad destroyed the coop, much to the delight of the neighbors.

If you're wondering, it was this guy. Some of the neighbors would have argued that my family took care of a "rat infestation" in the house just by moving in.

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                              Sounds like you both got something good out of the deal. The snake got warmth and food, you got free pest control.

I want a pet snake, darn it.
                              I'll stick to cats, thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                              X