This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to drive us all up the wall!

For one of the courses I help with the field placements for, I get to hear some of the most insane batshit stories to come out of said placements.

It takes a LOT for someone to be booted from their field placement early, I might add. When that does happen, their case is assessed on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes we'll offer an alternate placement, other times it's basically "So long, farewell, auf wiedersehn goodbye! "

Enter Sucky Student, who is doing a postgraduate refresher course of sorts (So she'd been out of the loop for a while and needed to do the course to get back up to speed). She had, from the beginning, been complaining about various aspects of the course she was in. First week of her field placement, we get a call from her mentor. Turns out that the student was threatening to withdraw and wasn't coping, as well as feeling like the staff in the area she was in were against her - or so we thought.

What had actually happened was that the student had nitpicked on what she thought was bad practice and submitted an entire laundry list of complaints to the place she did a field placement at, and had generally been rude and disruptive to the staff. She also submitted the same complaints to US and then wanted to know what WE were going to do about the complaints with the place she was at! We made it pretty clear that if she submitted the complaints to the place she was at, any updates were between her and the facility, not us. While we didn't disregard the complaints, we DID make it clear to the facility that we would be doing a re-education session later down the track with them to clarify things. (The other student in that particular area did fine)

So, she comes back, we have a meeting with her and opt to give her a slight break before she goes and does her second field placement a few weeks later. This was at a very different facility (Facility B), with the view that she would repeat her first placement afterwards at yet another facility (Facility C).

While I'm interstate handling stuff at the conference, I find out that Sucky Student had been removed from placement at Facility B. When I get back, I discover what actually happened and THIS one merits its own list.

- She was generally rude and disruptive to the staff to begin with, feeling as though they weren't performing up to HER standards and actually threatened to report every single one of them to the medical board. (Whether or not she actually did that is another matter)

- She also threatened to report the facility she was at to the regulatory authorities for what she thought was "bad practice."

- The incident however, that actually got her removed (and does tie in with the other two above), was that one of the residents at the facility she was at had been admitted to hospital. She overheard (not sure if it was deliberate or not) two of the managers talking about it in their office and the words "end of life directive" popped up. So what does she do? She goes around and tells the staff AND the resident's family that the resident had died, when in actual fact, the resident was very much alive!

Meetings are had, and Sucky Student is STILL complaining, this time about our own practice, claiming that we discriminated against her on age and/or race grounds (she was white, the other students in her class were not), we didn't do enough to support her and that we didn't check the facility thoroughly enough. (None of which are true)

The end result for her?

- She gets expelled from the program and is prohibited from doing any further study with us in the future .

- She will be likely getting reported to the medical board as well (there were some other behaviours not mentioned which mean that we're required to do a mandatory report to them on "possible risk to the public" grounds)

- I also checked her registration today on the medical board website. Her only option to be allowed to practice again was to do our long program. We are currently one of the only places in the state offering this program. She's basically screwed herself over

Wow, she was really full of herself, wasn't she?? Here she is doing a refresher course, and yet she thinks she knows better than everyone else!

I sure wouldn't want her taking care of me, with that attitude.

Reminds me a bit of a summer temp we had at my old job, some years ago. On the second or third day, she went to the manager's office and told him how he could "improve things" in the dept. This girl was, at the time, in her early to mid 20s and had never worked in our industry before. She also had a bad attitude with customers later on, being very abrasive during cold calls. Not the best way to get someone to buy something.

But at least we weren't dealing with anyone's health care.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Wow

Telling a family that a member has died when in fact they have not could someone in that family so much distress that you could cause a medical program.

I has seen people faint or in other cases go into a panic on lesser news.

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
        Her only option to be allowed to practice again was to do our long program. We are currently one of the only places in the state offering this program. She's basically screwed herself over
        Isn't that a crying shame? On the downside: this won't be the last your hear from her.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
          - She will be likely getting reported to the medical board as well (there were some other behaviours not mentioned which mean that we're required to do a mandatory report to them on "possible risk to the public" grounds)
          Yikes! Well, I guess if you're going to get yourself blacklisted, go all out?
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
            Yikes! Well, I guess if you're going to get yourself blacklisted, go all out?
            The possible getting reported to the board thing doesn't mean she'll get blacklisted - the board might opt to put further conditions on her registration. Unfortunately, it's part of our duty of care to do those sort of things.

And guess what guys?

We actually have a student who tops this one!

So far in the last two weeks, she has basically been nitpicky to all hell, made SEVERAL racist comments towards students and staff (to the point where I've had to separate one of my mentors from her to reduce the risk of further complaints) and has generally been a bully. For all her faults, the student in the OP was at least polite towards us, albeit anxious (field placement is another story).
            This one however, is FAR worse than that and HAS NOT stopped complaining from day dot. (And like the student in the OP, only has this as her choice)

Comment

So believe it or not, I actually have an update!

Like most colleges, we allow students to appeal a grade, but we have very strict criteria on how this works and there are three things they can appeal on: either we didn't follow policy, we didn't take into account someone's circumstances (eg they were sick and that got ignored) or the penalty was too harsh (eg expelling a student for a minor plagiarism offence). We aren't horrible people and if the student puts forward a decent case, their appeal tends to be granted in part.

So, the student in the OP unsurprisingly appealed. However, she didn't appeal to us, she instead tried to appeal directly to the medical board.

Comment

Always lovely when an arrogant newbie shows up and thinks they can do the job better than everyone else who, you know, has been doing that job for years and KNOWS what the hell they’re doing.
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

More updateyness!

The medical board wrote to us, basically asking "What the hell?" They had also been clued in on our appeals process. Weirdly enough, they requested a meeting with us if the outcome of her appeal wasn't in her favour, but if it did go in her favour, they didn't want a meeting. The thing is though, they wanted that meeting to be held BEFORE the appeal meeting.

So cue the actual appeals meeting. It then comes out that the student had actually lied about a few things to the medical board, claiming that we told her that her registration would be removed and that she was being picked on in general. I also found out a little more about the incident which got her removed that I mentioned above.

For field placements, it is made VERY, VERY clear to the students that once their shift has finished for the day, that's it - they cannot work later hours unless it's been cleared with us first and they have a damn good reason why (in most cases, it's usually due to the student missing a few days and needing to log hours). So with this in mind, the incident I mentioned above where she overheard the conversation? That actually occurred at a time when she wasn't meant to be there in the first place. Yeah...

End result of this though is that the medical board will be told that no, we won't be granting her another opportunity and we won't be calling for her registration to be removed either. If she wants to get back into the swing of things, there are other courses she can do interstate.
                  Last edited by LadyofArc; 11-30-2018, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Damm there's shooting yourself in the foot and there's dropping the whole mag in it.
                    AkaiKitsune
                    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                      Damm there's shooting yourself in the foot and there's dropping the whole mag in it.
                      Or calling in an A-10 to Warthog Stomp it.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Bet

If she does get into an interstate course who wants to bet she has learnt her lesson and will stick to the rules this time?

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                          ... she has learnt her lesson ...?
                          Bet? Snerk! She's a Wrecked'um, ah mean, victim, and is righteously exempt! (in her pico-bit intellect)
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Learn her lesson? Seriously? Come ON now. She wouldn't have her exploits listed here in such anonymous detail if she were the type to actually learn or take responsibility for her actions.

2 worries I do have though: One, for the potential damage she'll do down the road to those who can't defend themselves. Two, for the lack of updates on how badly she keeps screwing herself up. I mean, how many CS members do we have in the proper field, able to keep tabs on this one?

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                              Would that be shooting yourself in each toe?
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X