This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Dasota View Post
    Also #GeekWorldProblems for many of my friends: Which book to read first? Cold Days by Jim Butcher, or the 5th Iron Druid book by Kevin Hearne, Trapped?
    In my case it was, Cold Days or Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Butcher won. Butcher always wins.

Finished in two nights... would have been one, but when I started having little dreamlets and stopped actually reading, I decided maybe it was time to go to bed. >_>

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
      Talked his way out?

Try making his way through hell on earth >.<

Or, more appropriately, making Harry go through hell on earth.
      He does have a tendency to do that, doesn't he ...

He's lucky Harry can't actually come gunning for him.

Comment

Amen to that!

But, yeah, you only have one book between your stopping point and Cold Days. Two if you count the short story anthology Side Jobs that got released before Ghost Story that has some filler info.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Side Jobs is a definite must have if you like the series even a little bit (and how could you possibly not?).

I loved Cold Days. I didn't expect most of where it went (I love the way Butcher writes), but it ended the way it had to.

Can't wait till the next one is in my hot little hands.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

just started reading....erm...listening to it.

Santa....REALLY?!

No more spoilers here...I'm barely through remeeting *spoiler*Bob and Andy in butters apartment*spoiler*
            It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Do we wanna start a new thread or get this one renamed?

I really enjoyed the book and it had a lot happen. To be honest Changes felt like a major turning point but actually this book here is the main turning point for the series. It revealed some big stuff and made a lot of things clear. The game has definitely changed. Spoilers
              So I'm betting the parasite in his brain is Lash, Jim said there was a conversation with her in Ghost Story (I think little girl in graveyard) an that her story wasn't over. They made a bargain with her to save Harry apparently and they never would have made a bargain with the adversary and the headaches have been there for quite a while. Also two best moments of the book learning DemonReach is a supernatural prison and Harry shattering the mind control SuperSaijan style.
              Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
              Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

We already have spoilers listed as a possibility....

But I counter your thought that this is the real turning point. Changes was the turning point, for a simple reason. Harry made the choice in that book. This is still just fallout from those major decisions he made. Sure, we got a lot more info and we're obviously climbing to a climax, but Changes was THE decision point for Harry. Now he just has to learn to live with things.

Like, who wants to see SPOILERS the conversation with Michael and Chasity over Molly's new role?

Although, I while I won't disagree that Lash may be the parasite, it's also possible that it's something else from his encounters with Outsiders. We did get a discussion in the book that we don't know what the goal of the Outsiders are. Maybe one is helpful?
                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

OK from here are full uncovered spoilers.

Well they did say that outsiders all work together.

Second I disagree, this is a major turning point more than changes because Harry thought he ended world war 2 while in reality he ended Korea and the war itself is on the scale of the galactic rebellion rather than what he thought.

Basically the scope of the books has changed, I now want to reread the past books and look at a lot of stuff because the curtain has been pulled aside, not completely I'm guess but we're getting a much clearer picture of everything moving in the background.

Comment

Observation: wizard Rashid is "The Gate Keeper" supposition : Wizard Dresden is now " The Warden" as he now has a specific duty relating to his wizardly duties. this may be something the ORIGINAL Merlin intended which was lost/misinterpreted over the centuries. he could then be a de facto member of the senior council under the most traditional terms of the order.

On walkers: so far of the 3 walkers we have seen there is "he who walks before" and " he who walks behind". I am guessing the third could be "he who walks alongside" and is working directly with the Circle/the Black Council to release the outsiders.

Mac: he is "out". declaring himself appart from the ongoing conflict. he seems to be a version of Uatu who is only supposed to observe, yet will meddle obliquely when needed.

more to follow...
                    Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
                    Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
                    Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

I can't wait for the big reveal of who the hell Mac really is. I have my theories, but they're so undeveloped as to be not really worth voicing. Yet.

^-.-^

Comment

Also if you notice in the book Harry kills a man with magic.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                          Also if you notice in the book Harry kills a man with magic.
                          Which guy are you referring to? I don't remember him killing any humans with magic.
                          It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doing it! -- Julio Scoundrel, Order of the Stick

Comment

it happens quickly but when he's battling the wild hunt he kills a transformed human.

Comment

He-Who-Walks-Before, He-Who-Walks-Behind, He-Who-Walks-Alongside, He-Who-Moonwalks-Above, He-Who-Jaywalks-Below...

Comment

Grem, I'm still going to disagree with you on the turning point. But I'm thinking you're just considering scope of story vs. character arc, which is the direction I'm coming from. So while the "curtain" may have been pulled aside, this really has nothing to do with a turning point. It's just a reveal. It's a build up to the climax. But the decisions that Harry made to get there, they are what are changing him, shaping him, and defining the story itself since it is centered on him. So while the scope has changed, the focus has not. Hence Changes is still the bigger turning point.

As to Harry killing a man, he didn't know the man was a man until after he was dead. Given the nature of the situation and the nature of Halloween itself, I doubt this will come to bite him. Even if it does, he was serving in his capacity as Winter Knight. He's under a little different rules now.
                                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
                                X