This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
    My dad had it as do I. Try cherry fruit extract--it works for me. I was on a medication, but that was nothing but a high-dose anaglesic.
    Cherry extract has helped. Right now I'm on a uric acid reducer and I have the high-strength NSAID in case of flare-ups.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I had scarlet fever as well; I'm 44. And chicken pox. Now that there's a vaccine, it's probably on its way on to the oldey-timey list too.
      "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
        I'm glad he got the rash, as he hasn't acted sick at all (of course, when he is puking his guts up he acts perfectly normal and active between vomiting sessions). I know left untreated any strep infection can be dangerous.
        I had scarlet fever for a few days before getting meds - the babysitter just told my folks I was really sick. They came home from the trip early, my Dad took one look at me, threw me over his shoulder and rushed me to the hospital. Luckily you caught it early!

I had to re-get my some vaccination in my 20's when there was an outbreak (measles I think) because if you got the vac in the late 60's they weren't strong enough.

This shows my age - but when I was a kid our parents would hold "chicken pox parties" - basically if one kid had it they would stick us all together in a room until we all got it. Now there is a vaccine.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
          Had, no. But there's a fairly high number of whooping cough cases going around too.
          I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they were talking about vaccinations and had a nurse and a doctor as guests. They were saying that the whooping cough vaccine wears off quicker than most others, so they recommend boosters for adults, especially if they are around small children, since they don't give it until age 2. The nurse was saying her hospital offers it to all new mothers before they are discharged. I know I got a tetanus booster a few years ago; I'm not sure if it was the combined tetanus, diptheria, pertussis or not (probably was).
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

My boyfriend had a touch of gout a couple years ago (sharp pain in the foot, limped around for like a month), he took a ton of ibuprofen and it eventually went away. Ive also met a guy that's had scurvy - twice. He just doesn't care for fruits and veg.

Comment

Oldest Daughter, Little Bits and I are all allergic to the Whooping Cough vaccine.

I got the mumps the day before I was supposed to get the vaccine for it when I was in 4th Grade. I was hospitalized with the Measles when I was 15 months old.

Both of my girls had Chicken Pox twice. The first time that Oldest Daughter had Chicken Pox she had to stay at her Grandmother's with her cousin since my sister and I were both pregnant at the time. Oldest got them again 15 months later and gave them to Little Bits on Little Bits first birthday. Little Bits got them again when she was 4.

Comment

I had chicken pox but I was 7; well before the vaccine came along. My brother and my friend and her sister all got it around the same time (I think I was last).
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
                  My boyfriend had a touch of gout a couple years ago (sharp pain in the foot, limped around for like a month), he took a ton of ibuprofen and it eventually went away. Ive also met a guy that's had scurvy - twice. He just doesn't care for fruits and veg.
                  You sure it was gout?

I had a foot issue a while back that I'm fairly certain was an atypical plantar fasciitis issue, but the docs did a blood test for gout while I was in despite none of us thinking that was my problem.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I had whooping cough the first year of high school. That sucked so much.
                    I got chicken pox like most kids in my area did, and according to mom, measles (i don't remember to be honest)

Apparently, my great-grandfather had TB and my dad was exposed to it, so he still fails TB tests even though he doesn't have it. (I can't remember why its that way)

You're lucky you caught it. My great-grandmother was 65% deaf due to scarlet fever, which isn't as bad as some others, but considering she was expected to die.....yeah, she got out easy

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
                      Now there is a person that needs that daily multivitamin!

I have troubles wrapping my mind around people who just dislike all fruits and veggies - I love fruits and veggies
                      Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      You sure it was gout?

I had a foot issue a while back that I'm fairly certain was an atypical plantar fasciitis issue, but the docs did a blood test for gout while I was in despite none of us thinking that was my problem.

^-.-^
                      There is also what I have, pseudogout. Different chemical , same painful trouble. Though it normally hits knees and ankles, I have it in my feet.
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        You sure it was gout?

^-.-^
                        Nope. He didn't go to the doctor, none of our friends are doctors. An older lady we know said it sounded like gout, because thats what she had, so we went with that.
                        I also found an old drawing of a demon biting a foot, asked him if that's what it felt like, he said yes, so I decreed it was gout. Not a professnal diagnosis by any means, but it gives me something to tease him about (lovingly). Like I said it went away after about a month of taking ibuprofen daily, so who knows.

Gout, I learned, has been called the disease of kings.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                          My 3-year-old has scarlet fever (confusingly, he has no fever). He had a weird rash that spread alarmingly in 12 hours, so we took him in and the doc did a strep test. She said he had scarlet fever! Obviously this is not as dire as it once was (it used to kill kids all the time) and 10 days of antibiotics should clear it up, but the diagnosis surprised me.
                          scarlet fever comes around in waves every 12-24 years, it's just what happens when strep throat is left untreated in some people, if left past that stage it can become rheumatic fever, which then leads to rheumatic heart disease, now that your son has had scarlet fever, he is more susceptible to rheumatic fever, I've had both, it's not fun.
                          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
                            I had scarlet fever as well; I'm 44. And chicken pox. Now that there's a vaccine, it's probably on its way on to the oldey-timey list too.
                            only if adults remember the boosters-IIRC it's only good for 12 years, you need a booster, and how many adults actually keep track of those things? It won't be "old-timey" it'll become "old timers".
                            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                              I believe my brother had scarlet fever in the 80s. He has a heart issue now. I remember my mom saying something about it being able to damage the heart. Whooping cough and polio are on the rise.
                              I've seen it mentioned down here in the mid south - whooping cough that is.

And polio... that one almost surprises me but I do know that some people don't like getting their kids inoculated, and others sometimes have so many kids they lose track of who's had what.

The latter is what happened to a priest at a church I use to go to. His mom (a nurse) had lost track and he and the brother closest in age were stricken with it. He bounced back but his brother took a long time. IIRC their mother had to cut woolen blankets into strips and soak them in hot water to work on the brother's mobility. Hard work, but in the end the brother could walk again.

Comment

I had whooping cough when I was a kid in the 70s. Dad was supposed to take me in for shots on his visitation, and decided "eh, what'll happen?". Yeah - five months later I was in the pediatric ICU. My roommate had scarlet fever when he was a kid.

Comment

Working...
                                X