Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arcade Game Issue - Any fellow techies here?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcade Game Issue - Any fellow techies here?

I'm having some issues with an arcade game at my workplace and am looking for a second opinion (or possibly confirmation) before I go buying spare parts, though I'm fairly sure I've pinpointed the error

It is a Maximum Tune Wangan Midnight (Version 1) dedicated cabinet running off the Sega Chihiro GD-ROM Operating System. When booted up it comes up with the error "ERROR 24 - GD ROM not found". The disc is clean and unscratched, I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting all the cables and have tried swapping the GD-ROM with a spare disc from the other unit we have, the error still persisting afterwards.

At this point after looking at a few sites online I have a strong suspicion it is an issue with either the laser assembly or the GD ROM drive motor.

Any other fellow techs out there had a similar issue in the past?
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Sounds like your GDROM drive is crapping out. Might be easier to get a replacement drive instead of trying to dig through parts on the drive itself.

Try posting your question on the KLOV forums or maybe Reddit's arcade subreddit, as I'm sure they'd know far more about this subject than most of us here.

Comment

I've lost count the number of times I've seen that error. I hate to say it, but it looks like you need a new drive or a new DIMM board. If you are lucky enough to have two machines that use the GDROM, try swapping the drive between the machines. If it works in the other machine, you have a bad DIMM board. There is a chance that you could get the drive you have fixed, but I haven't had luck with the rebuilt ones. If you are feeling brave, you could replace the GDROM optic yourself.

You have another option though. There is an upgrade kit you can get that will replace the GDROM with a Compact Flash card reader. I haven't heard how reliable they are.
      Last edited by Arcus; 01-20-2013, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X