X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold spore problem inside the booth caused more problems

Long post.

First, some background information pertaining to the "more problems".

When the Parking office took over Visitor Parking this summer, we never received any information regarding what their guidelines and or procedures are regarding 1) bathroom breaks, 2) handling difficult customers at the exit gate, & 3) handling difficult customers when Visitor Parking is reserved, 4) handling customer complaints, & 5) handling university staff members coming down to the booth when the garage is reserved, & their guest called them because a parking spot was not reserved for them & they were told that they cannot park. That last one puts me between a rock and a hard place. I work full-time as a contract parking attendant from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. The parking company I work for has a contract with the university.

The client never informed my employer regarding what their guidelines & or procedures were either.

I had a urinary tract infection in the spring of 2008, & when I want to my doctor, I was given a prescription to be filled & was told to go to the bathroom more often & to drink more water. My doctor asked me at that time how often did I go to the bathroom & how much water did I drink. I told not that often & I did not drink a lot of water. She told me that had to change. Then I went for my yearly checkup later that year, & a urine sample was taken as part of the visit. I received a phone call from the doctor's office stating there was urine in my bladder & that my doctor prescribed the same medication when I had my urinary tract infection, to drink more water, & to go to the bathroom more often.

Since the parking office never informed us nor my employer of how they want us to handle bathroom breaks, I call campus police when I have to go. When Community Relations/Visitor Parking was over the garage, I was informed by them to call them & they would contact campus police.

Flash forward to a couple of weeks ago on a Friday. I noticed what seemed to be many mildew spots on the wall where I open the window to greet the customers. Being that I did not want to be breathing anything that could possible be harmful, I went to Facilities. I was told to go to John Smith's office. So I go to his office. He comes down to the booth with me. He tells me the mildew is mold spores. He calls someone from custodial services to look at the problem. Someone from that dept. comes down to the booth to look at the mold spores. That person advised me to contact "Andrea", the Parking office manager, to put in a work order since one is needed to address the mold spore problem. John Smith told me he would e-mail "Andrea". He gave me his business card with his e-mail address. The problem was taken care of a couple of days later.

Then last Friday after it rained, I noticed mold spores in the same area again. So I e-mailed John Smith, & I e-mailed "Andrea" about the problem this morning. I thought John Smith had contacted her about it the first time. I was wrong.

Well...
    That opened up a big can of worms.

"Andrea" sent "Bill", the parking company manager over the account, an e-mail & she also called him.
    "Bill" calls me to discuss several problems
    1) According to "Andrea", I have been leaving the booth (for bathroom breaks), & no one knew where I was even though campus police was notified. I told "Bill" I was never informed by the Parking office regarding how to handle bathroom breaks. He mentioned to me that I should not be leaving the booth anyway. That was when I mentioned my urinary tract infection. I am not about to stay inside the booth from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. 5 days a week & not go to the bathroom.
    2) I did not notify him of the mold spores but instead notified "Andrea" of this since I was advised by a university staff member to do this. I explained to him I was advised by a university staff member who came down to the booth of what had to be done to address the problem.
    3) "Bill" also mentioned that "Andrea" spoke to him today about "other problems". He told me he does not want to receive any phone calls from "Andrea" about any problems & that he wants everyone, the client, him, & me, to "be on the same page". I mentioned to him we were never given any guidelines and or procedures to follow, & so we have to use our best judgment. Apparently my best judgment is different from their best judgment.

I am

I would appreciate any advice from the customerssuck.com members regarding how to deal with "Andrea" and "Bill".

http://www.ehso.com/cssdol/dolbreaks.php#federal

I would look into the OSHA part (if you're in the USA) about having reasonable access to bathroom facilities. Is this a government-funded university?

Comment

Good grief and good luck. Not sure where to begin, since it sounds like they don't give a damn about you and could care less about where you end up (and may try to get you fired). First off, stay civil and polite. I hope you're starting to document everything and every contact with the parking office, etc.

Who's your direct boss as a contract employee? Meaning your boss, not who you answer to at the university? Who do they answer to (meaning the client)? I suggest you try to have your boss try to hash out the details of who to contact, when to contact, etc. Throw in about bathroom breaks, regular breaks and lunches as well.

You want my honest opinion? This isn't the job for you. They're going to move you or fire you or make your life hell until you quit. It isn't right and it certainly isn't fair, but that sounds like where things are heading. The university is so disorganized with no single individual making the appropriate decisions regarding your position. They want a quiet little person (robot) to fill a position and never have to cause "trouble" or have human needs (federally/state protected needs, I might add) such as going to the bathroom and having breaks. This includes lunch breaks (off the clock) where you aren't required to stay in the booth "just in case" something happens.

Can the contract company you work for move you to another position? You can fight to stay where you are and have specific guidelines to handle things like breaks and problem customers, but it sounds like they'll try to get rid of you one way or another. They just don't seem to like you. Nothing personal, it just happens sometimes.

A friend of mine used to work at a security company and was contracted for overnights at a law firm. He was let go from that position because he was too "creepy". Yep, you read that right. Basically he'd walk his shift very quiet-like and nobody heard him coming until he was right there. Scared a few employees, who then complained and had him fired. He next worked at a TV station who loved him and he stayed there a few years. Maybe you just need a better place. Either way, good luck.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Update on this incident.

I received an e-mail from the supervisor in Custodial Services stating that the mildew problem is in the ceiling. The person who e-mailed me carbon copied John Smith. So I forward that e-mail to "Andrea" because she informed me that I need to let her know of these things since she is over the Visitor Parking booth & to "Bill" because he informed me to only go through him. He will contact "Andrea" as he sees fit. I also received an e-mail from John Smith as well which I forward to them as well. "Andrea" calls me to let me know that 1) they (the Parking office) are not ignoring the problem and 2) I overstepped my bounds regarding carbon copying "Bill". I informed "Andrea" of what "Bill" told me. She ended the call.

I tried to compromise by forwarding the messages to "Andrea" & carbon copying "Bill", but that even caused problems.

Then "Nancy" calls to ask if I let Ms. Jones into the garage. Visitor Parking was reserved today. Ms. Jones, a faculty/staff member, was here to pick up a guest speaker at one of the reserved events. Ms. Jones told me when she pulled up to the booth window that the faculty/staff garage was full. Even though Visitor Parking was reserved for events, I let her in since she was here to pick up the guest speaker. "Nancy" said that was ok. Then she mentioned that "Andrea" was getting snippy because the sign stating Visitor Parking was closed for an event was blocking the entrance to the garage, & some faculty/staff members were complaining about that sign being out. "Andrea" was the first one to show me that sign several months ago, & she put it in front of the entrance to Visitor Parking when it was reserved for an event. This particular event was several months ago. She has also reminded me on several occassions when the garage was reserved to put that sign out.

Comment

Snugglegirl...I hate your job and want to b*tchsmack your bosses.

That being said, regardless if you were having UTI's or not, YOU NEED TO GET TO THE BATHROOM! How can they expect you to sit in there for hours without a break?

Do you even get lunch? Do you get regular breaks? PLEASE TELL ME YOU EAT LUNCH!!

If I were you, please please print out OSHA reg's on breaks and etc, present them to EVERYONE, tell them to SUCK IT and that you will be using the potty when nature calls.

In a nicer way of course, but still. Thats ridiculous.

Comment

I know that (at least in certain states) you aren't required to get a lunch break as long as you sign something when you first start your job. People at my job don't get the option of a lunch break until they move up the food chain. I'm guessing something similar applies to the OP, especially with the hours listed.

Read the linked site, though. OSHA guarantees, at the very least, bathroom breaks.

Comment

Working...
            X