This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate applying for jobs!

grrrrrr Since losing my job I've been on the hunt for something new. But it's just so hard!

I spend a lot of the morning trying to look for a job that is along the lines of what I can do (due to the small amount of experience I have in the field). There are not many.

Whats worse, is most of the adverts don't have phone numbers to call so you can only email. It's almost like emailing someone means that they can simply ignore you if they don't like the look of you.

I think I've sent out 100 or so emails/left messages and so on. I've had ONE response and that was for a resume then I got no response after that.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR am I really that bad? The parents I've worked for all seemed to love me :S I hope....hrm....one wants me back when they have a second child. But yeah

Who else is going through this sh*t?
    I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Job hunting sucks, this economy sucks, so job hunting in this economy sucks squared.

I've been job-hunting for over two years, and wasn't able to get anything but a handful of assignments from temporary agencies. I've finally gotten a seasonal job that has a possibility of going long-term.

I wish you the best of luck. Don't give up. Try the local employment office. They may offer training courses, and if they do, look into them. Try the temporary agencies. Expand your horizons; learn more skills and try for jobs outside your norm.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Everyone under the sun is in the same boat with you, from lay-off bank executives to construction workers. I've seen countless news reports about it, so yeah, it's that bad.

I remember an episode of "Good Times" where James Sr. talks about losing his car washing job to an unemployed brain surgeon. I seriously wonder if that could happen today in real life if the situation came about.

Comment

Quoth Binky View Post
        I spend a lot of the morning trying to look for a job that is along the lines of what I can do (due to the small amount of experience I have in the field). There are not many.

Who else is going through this sh*t?
        *raises paw* I have plenty of experience, but somehow not quite the level that employers are looking for.

That requires additional training, which requires money, which the state agency I'm working with doesn't want to pony up as they think I can get a decent job with only an A+ (not anymore, at least not here). I'm presently fighting with my job coach to get my primary caseworker to approve training in the security/data forensics field. Screw the repair-only 'career plan' I made 2 years ago, things can and have changed.

She also thinks I'm incapable of dealing with customers...no, I just said that if I had to handle things on the phone I wouldn't be able to handle a call center environment.
        Last edited by Dreamstalker; 10-17-2009, 02:00 PM.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Ooh! Me! Me me me me me!

And the sad thing is, I HAD a decent job where me and my wife (then girlfriend) were living. Then my truck crapped out. But zut alors! We'll just use her car to ferry us both back and forth!

Er, no. Because her parents got THEIR van repossessed and had to borrow her car. So, to speed along, we ended up having to move in with them. In Michigan.
          MICHIGAN! &#@^$&%#&^%@#&^#$&(!!!!!!!!!

No jobs here. At all! And their employment services here? Won't pay out for training, because they're out of money. It would be funny if it wasn't so @#$%ed up.

Comment

The only think worse than looking for a job is surviving the job interview!
            Good luck to you!

Comment

All I can say is keep spamming those resumes. Make sure you're sending out the appropriate resume and a brief cover letter (just a paragraph will do, doesn't have to be War and Peace). But don't expect to get a reply.

Almost every single email you send out will get no reply at all.

When I was job hunting earlier in the year I was getting around a 2% return rate on emailed resumes.

The only upside to this thing is that odds are if you get a reply, the recruiter likes you enough already that unless you completely botch the interview, you'll probably get the job.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                The only upside to this thing is that odds are if you get a reply, the recruiter likes you enough already that unless you completely botch the interview, you'll probably get the job.
                I wish I sometimes get a call for an interview (before the last job) and they would be like "OMG you are perfect! I have two/whatever number of people after this and I'll give you a call after to arrange when you can start".

Then I get a call "oh, sorry but the other person had more experience/lived closer/had a second head, and we decided to go with them. Good luck!"

Thanx you F*&*&%%(*^*(%*&%$U^%$&^$%&I(^ grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I've also had a few people who wanted a babysitter that would end up as a Nanny when the mum went back to work. Only to have them use me 4-5 times and never call me again. Honestly, I don't get it :S I'm sick of being used!
                I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

Oh, have I got a story!

While running around trying to find ANYTHING, I ended up at a tax relief company. They asked me to stay and work a few hours as part of the interview. I filled out the W4 and everything, stayed for 6 hours, and was told they'd call if blah blah blah.

I never got a check. I went down there a couple weeks ago and they said they already did the payroll for that time, and I should have gotten it in the mail, but they'd check and if it didn't go through, they'd call me.

No call, no check. Bastards.
                  "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
                    I never got a check. I went down there a couple weeks ago and they said they already did the payroll for that time, and I should have gotten it in the mail, but they'd check and if it didn't go through, they'd call me.

No call, no check. Bastards.
                    Call your local labour board. Do not pass go. Do not smell the roses. Call now! They should jump on these people with both feet stomping for pulling this kind of crap. Don't hold your breath waiting to be paid if you don't take action.

NEVER fall for the "do a sample problem/some sample work" scheme. A lot of companies will pull this crap for free tech support, also.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                    X