This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera woes (Long)

I just remembered this incident from years ago when I worked for a company that did video work for conferences and such. We would often do work for a Tele-evangelist who held week long "healing" conferences in a very large church building. Please let us NOT take this into the fratching areas because this post is NOT about religion. I am not religious but a job is a job.

Many times during these meetings, I would be the camera guy on stage dressed in black and trying to be inconspicuous while filming the closeups of the main speakers and such. If you have ever seen any concerts, you will notice that guy on stage with a camera, not noticeable at all most of the time if we are good. Our company would basically live stream the video onto big projection screens on either side of the stage as well as recording everything on site to sell DVDs to people as they left. [/End BG]

This one conference we did was huge, 10,000 people, hugely popular speakers, etc. so we were all hyped up and doing our thing. Well the last night of the conference, the main speaker is doing his thing and I am up on stage with my camera being inconspicuous as per normal. Of course, the one camera I had that night was the battery operated camera. 3 guesses as to which batteries were not charged properly and the first 2 guesses dont count. Right in the middle of the big close up on screen where the speaker was going to make some big point, my camera turns off and the big screen shows Blue. BSOD. At this point my BTMF (brain to mouth filter) fails horribly, my stage whisper was "OH SH**". Of course, the main speaker turns around, points right at me, and says to the entire crowd "That guy just swore on stage" and then proceeds to turn it into a point for his speech. At that point I wanted to make like an Ostrich and bury my head in the sand. I have never had a customer (and yes he was a customer as the company was paying us) call me out so badly before. I am pretty sure the only reason I havent remembered it since is because my brain did not want to remember.

That was and still is my most favorite job of all time and I could tell you great stories of 15 hr days, lugging hundreds of pounds of gear up 5 flights of stairs to the rafters of some of these places but we will leave it at that for now.
    "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

LOL That's awesome. I'm thinking it must have been more of obvious inner monologue, but still can't stop laughing about it!

"OH SH**!!! The batteries ran out of juice.."

"That man is a SINNAH, but I can HEAL by the power of Eveready..."

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post

"That man is a SINNAH, but I can HEAL by the power of Eveready..."
      In the name of the Duracell and the Everady and of the Holy Energizer....
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
        In the name of the Duracell ...
        You shall be reCHAR-GED! YAYUSSS!
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Just the thing I needed to start the day. I love those comebacks! ^_^

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
            Just the thing I needed to start the day. I love those comebacks! ^_^
            Sadly, the day will just keep going, and going and going...

Comment

Yeah, I've been in a fubar situation publicly occasionally, but 10k in the audience and the focus on me? No thanks Sand. Thank your nice brain for blocking it out for so long.

Comment

Working...
              X