This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seraph View Post
    There's a difference though, between "How long is the turnaround for this project?" and "How long will it take you to make this item, because that's how I'm going to base your pay."
    Absolutely! And I agree 100%.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

If he tries again, tell him 'sorry, my prices have gone up since your first enquiry. It is now $50.00 for a pop up ad.'

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
        If he tries again, tell him 'sorry, my prices have gone up since your first enquiry. It is now $50.00 for a pop up ad.'
        Definitely this, an asshole tax is definitely in order...

But you can guess what's going to happen. Captain Cheapass goes with the cheapest item out there, then his generic pasteup gets completely lost in the vast wastelands of the Internet. Then he'll whine, bitch and moan about it; mostly to people who don't care.

Then he comes back to Seraph, who not so politely tells Captain Cheapass to take a flying leap!

Comment

The only proper response to any "how long is this gonna take?" moaning-style question is "Longer, now that you've pulled me aside from my work to ask"
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

He's be the type to want a complex, God-awful gaudy design...yellow and hot pink with sparkles, blinking lights, and music. It just seems to go with that type of customer. They want to vomit a rainbow all over the Internet as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
              To tell you the truth, Seraph, I think you're absolutely right, here. I do think it's very generous of you to price it at $35 an hour. I've seen $50/hour, but not $35. If you did that full-time, that would net you almost $73,000 a year. That's a good living.
              That would gross $73k. In my neck of the woods it would net me about $50k. Still nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                SC: How long does it take you to make this
                Seraph: Excuse me?
                SC: How long does it take you?
                Seraph: Not that it matters, but about an hour, depends on the complexity and detail though.
                SC: So you want $35 for an hour of work? WTF
                You could take a tip from Scotty (of Star Trek). Never give the actual time it takes you to do something. Always quote a longer time.

Of course, in this instance you could have said five hours, and he would have complained that $7 an hour was too much.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Dadeo View Post
                  That would gross $73k. In my neck of the woods it would net me about $50k. Still nothing to sneeze at.
                  Correct...I meant gross. I forgot about taxes...
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

SC: So how much for the pop up ad again?
                    Seraph: Same as I told earlier, $35
                    SC: Your BEST price for a pop up ad.

Should have followed with"

Seraph: $40.
                    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post

Oh yes this. When haggling with idiots and losers, you should always raise the price. Back when I was selling comic books, I raised a guy 3 times before he caught on.

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post

SC: I said your BEST price.
                        Seraph: $50
                        SC: That's not your BEST price!
                        Seraph: It's best for ME...
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                          SC: So you want $35 for an hour of work? WTF
                          SC: I'll give you $10 for it, thats about fair

This is way too similar to a situation I was in with a (now-ex) friend of mine on World of Warcraft

Comment

Working...
                          X