Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't buy that, and you're not buying this.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't buy that, and you're not buying this.

Today, when working at the thrift store, two guys came in. They were in a hurry, or so it seemed. They scanned the clothing quickly, and one of them pulled a pair of jeans off the rack. He didn't try to haggle the price with me, which made me suspicious (it's a common thing here, and the jeans, though far less than you would pay in a regular store, were more than most thrift-store shoppers want to pay).

He asked if we took cards, and I told him we did. He handed me a card and asked, "Do you have a reader?"

I thought that was an odd question. I suppose he might have been thinking that we had one of those old-style card machines that just make an impression on a sales slip and a carbon copy - I do know of one place here that has one. I was suspicious about that, too.

So I ran the transaction, or tried to. When the card reader asked for his PIN - oh, guess what? Well, it seems that THIS guy has shopped at OTHER stores, and THEY don't need his PIN!

Uh ... yeah. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. If it's a debit card, as this one was, a PIN must be entered. I did try swiping the card instead of inserting it into the machine, and the screen just told me to insert the card so the chip could be read.

I don't believe for a minute that other stores have these magical readers that don't need a PIN to be entered. I believe he stole the card, and was trying to get all the purchases he could out of it before it was reported stolen. Also, he didn't even try on the jeans.

I told the owner, who is going to review the security footage. He thought the same thing I did - that not only was the card stolen, but Guy 1 was trying to distract me while Guy 2 did whatever Guy 2 planned to do. I checked the cash after they left, and nothing was missing, but they may have been looking around to see how easy it would be to rob the place. I don't know.

And that's my card adventure of the day.

Even if it wasn't a "stolen" card in and of itself, it might well have been that the programming on the card's strip didn't match the name/number combo on the card and the old fashion method of rubbings would have screwed that little scheme up. The screen telling you to "insert the card so the chip could be read?" That's a good sign it's probably a stolen number on what was once a legit card.

Some places will run a debit card like a credit card if it has one of the major credit card company logos on it. So.. no pin required. Sadly, it happens all too often, as my hubby found out. Fortunately, being at home and having the card used in Florida at the same time kind of kicked that idea. (He'd used it for HIS gas just minutes before the guy used the stolen number!)
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I'm in the Czech Republic, so things are a bit different here. I have yet to see a card reader that doesn't require a PIN (or, if it's a credit card, a signature). The guy claimed that he used it at a nearby store and everything was fine, but I've purchased a few things at the same store, used my card, and lo and behold, I also had to enter my PIN.

I think he's full of it.

Comment

In Australia, it has recently changed. If you have a credit card with a chip, the transaction will go straight through when under $35 no pin or sig.
        If it is a "tap and go" - "paywave" card it will go straight through under $100, pin required over $100, although these both are for credit accounts - debit still requires pin.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
          I'm in the Czech Republic, so things are a bit different here. I have yet to see a card reader that doesn't require a PIN (or, if it's a credit card, a signature).
          I really like the idea most of Europe has going with the PIN always required. I might consider getting a debit card again if the U.S. went that way. Right now I specifically request my bank card be for ATM use only, so it can't be run as a debit or credit.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

We have the "paywave" tap-and-go system these days in New Zealand too, though most chip cards MUST be inserted, if you try to swipe the card, it simply says "Insert card" or "Insert chip" and will not proceed any further unless there is something wrong with the chip itself (at which point it will want you to remove the card then swipe it again)
            Violets are blue,
            Roses are red,
            I bequeath to thee...
            A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Working...
            X