This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He threw my chair

OK, so maybe this is my fault because I should've called the company beforehand.

I had cable internet installed today. My jack has a huge easy chair in front of it. The chair is broken and I wanted to have it removed before the appointment today, but I can't get a pickup until Wed. It's really too heavy for me to move--I did last week and was in pain for 5 days--but I figured I would carefully push it out of the way as far as I could. I wasn't going to ask him to do it because there might be an insurance issue with them moving furniture. He saw me struggling and did help pull it out, which I thanked him for.

Now, he wasn't overly friendly, but he's like me: he has a job to do. He's not there for conversation. After I realized I was bothering him I left him alone. It was akward, but what are you going to do?

At some point he needed more room and attempted to pull the chair out further, which was difficult because the back falls down. I said, "Oh, I'm sorry--it's broken [the second time I'd said that]" and asked if he'd like it moved some more. He didn't answer and then this:

Now, I get that he did this for the sake of saving time, but I'm a bit miffed that he picked up the chair and tossed it further away. I mean, it hit the floor with a thud. OK, it's going to the dump, but he didn't know that. I guess I feel he could've said, "Yeah, could we move this a bit more?" and I would've helped and he could say "thanks".

I'm not going to complain about him because I realize that I've been the exact same way at work--just trying to get done and moving fast and tossing things to save steps--and people have complained. I wasn't trying to be rude, and I don't think he was, since he did engage a little in conversation with me, as much as he could. He said he does 10 installs a day, and I know they take almost an hour and there's driving.

So I think it was unintentional, but expressing it here helps me be at peace with it. Plus, I confess I should have called and said, "Hey, I have this chair....is there anyone who would be physically able to help me move it?" just to give them a heads-up. Fail.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Having done dispatch for techs.. there is never a good reason to be rough with a customer's stuff. Unless said item is being thrown at you by a customer. I'm talking fridges, stoves, washer, dryers, big bulk items. And yes, those big ass rear projection TVs The nightmare of nightmares that usually had so many cables attached that anyone wanting to steal the damned thing would have... ahem.

This meant the tech often times had to help a customer move something to get to said item. Not all of our customers were able to shove a huge washer out of the way so the tech can get to the dryer. Or shove much else, given they were sometimes disabled. And those TVs often had other big things in front of or around them that our techs had to move. Not once did I have a call come in about a complaint from a tech moving or helping a customer move an item.. usually because our techs also moved the items back.

All that out of the way... he was rude and destructive. Doesn't matter that the chair was going to go to the dump or not. That chair, when tossed, could have hit something else and broken that. Or worse, hit YOU.

I'm not gonna tell you to contact the company and file a complaint. As you said, it's not worth it at this time, but I am going to suggest that if/when you need a tech out again, you request that he not be sent and explain why. Do tell them that you felt a complaint was unnecessary, but that you need someone who is willing to work with you if something needs moved, due to your limits.
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I think raudf said it best. If something is big and bulky, I realize it can't be moved gracefully. But the impression I have from your post is that it was done in a disrespectful way. Good thing the floor wasn't damaged (I've had that happen...).
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

We've been dealing with a home repair nightmare for six months now, and just regained access to the basement (still don't have a working kitchen...after six months...with a family of four to feed...I loathe this restoration company). When the people originally came in May to begin dealing with the damage, they sealed off the area and we weren't allowed in the basement or most of the kitchen, so we had no time to pack up our stuff. They 'packed' it. When I finally got into the basement I found my mugs thrown into cardboard boxes and my serving platters...in a trash bag...with no padding of any kind.

Luckily I haven't found anything broken (yet). This company is already getting a long, detailed letter (AFTER the job is done, don't need them taking revenge) on their various failings, but a lack of regard for other people's stuff is definitely going on there.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Working...
        X