X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a story from the retail world

Hey everyone:

I posted a long time ago under the old boards, and I have been reading these boards for quite a while but I havent posted in a long time. I figured that I would break my silence and start posting stuff that happens.

I recently changed jobs to work for a major retail clothing chain, and it has been a terrible experience (because of customers, co-workers, and management). Here are a couple stories from that experience:

The $1.00 savings

I recently had a customer come in to the store, and I helped her pick out clothing for herself, her daughter and her husband. As a result her bill came to be a total of $250 (my boss loved me for that one ). I also convinced her to open a company credit card account (boss loved me even more), and saved her 10% on her bill. I charged the new credit account (which was required due to the fact that she saved 10%). The lady picked that moment (when I had 4 other people in her line) to scrutinize every little detail on her bill, when lo and behold she found that I overcharged her by .75 cents to be exact so I had to return everything on her bill....void the credit card....re-ring her bill and then re-charge her credit card. by then end of all this I had a total of 10 people waiting in line

I have now gotten another job as an assistant manager at another store in the outlet mall where I work. SO, as an assistant manager, I will probably have a lot more stories to tell
    "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

back.

All that for $0.75? She lost money on that deal!

Heck, I think I'd have pulled a dollar out of my pocket, handed it to her, and wished her a nice life.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That reminds me of the people I used to get during my short lived career as a grocery store cashier. They would lean over and scrutinize every little thing I rung up and immediately complain if one item rang up a penny more than they were expecting.

As for that woman, as if $.75 was going to make that much of a difference. Sure, I can understand being overcharged by like $20 or something, but $.75 is hardly anything I'd even bother getting corrected. Especially due to the time it takes to get said refund. As you pointed out, by the time you get that tiny amount corrected, you've probably already got 10 people waiting in line.
      Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        back.

All that for $0.75? She lost money on that deal!

No, she lost time. And I don't know about you guys, but I charge way more than $.75 a minute.

"Chaos in the midst of chaos isn't funny, but chaos in the midst of order is." - Steve Martin

Comment

thanks for the great welcome back! yeah...I thought that she went a little overboard for a whole .75 cents. I really havent worked at this particular business long enough to have a lot of customer horror stories, but I have some other horror stories which are related to the employer/employees which I will try to post on the boards when I get a chance.
          "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
          X