This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth iradney View Post
    I would be tempted to write to Cosmo, and say something along the lines of "since I read that article, I have saved much money by buying your magazine, reading it and returning it."
    You Sir, have my undying respect and admiration.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
      I'm curious - if something is returned, does the store then request a partial refund from it's supplier?
      I would be tempted to write to Cosmo, and say something along the lines of "since I read that article, I have saved much money by buying your magazine, reading it and returning it."
      Yes, stores do return it to the manufacturer for credit back. They usually do this once they have many products, and send them back in a large box or on a pallet all at once.

I work for one of those manufacturers.

We do deny requests from the retailer in cases where people return all sorts of crazy stuff, and that happens on a nearly daily basis. In this case its the retailer that gets stuck with the bag. They already refunded the customer his/her money, but we, the manufacturer, will not credit the retailer back because they are not returning one of our products.

I've seen people returning cassette tapes with a sticker for a very high end and very expensive electronic device on it. Its a sticker they very obviously photocopied and taped onto the cassette tape, but the retailer accepted it even though the most cursory examination from even the least attentive employee would reveal that it isn't even remotely the same kind of product.

So the retailer gives the customer his $500 refund.

Retailer will not be credited back the cost of the product, which is probably more around $250ish, as the retailer did not return one of our products to us.

Long story short, customer gets his money back, manufacturer keeps retailer's money, manufacturer is confused as to why there is a cassette tape in a box, retailer ends up out $750 on a product.

And some retailers accept anything! This is only hurting the retailer. Us manufacturers are very amused at the stuff they try to return to us for credit.

Comment

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post
        VAGINA, MOTHERFUCKERS. LEARN TO SPEAK IT.
        If the writers of those pieces had ever been near one and weren't intimidated by even the name of it, they wouldn't resort to cutesy euphemisms.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          If the writers of those pieces had ever been near one and weren't intimidated by even the name of it, they wouldn't resort to cutesy euphemisms.
          The sad part is, is these writers DO have vaginas themselves. I have yet to hear a male writer refer to a vagina as anything other than a vagina (excepting the usual male-oriented terms like "pussy" and so on, of course).
          ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post
            The sad part is, is these writers DO have vaginas themselves. I have yet to hear a male writer refer to a vagina as anything other than a vagina (excepting the usual male-oriented terms like "pussy" and so on, of course).
            I still stand by my statement of them being intimidated by even the name, let alone the body part in question.

And I have heard both vajayjay and vagoo being used by both genders.

Do they not realize it makes them sound like they're 5 years old? Do they still say peepee or weewee?

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              I still stand by my statement of them being intimidated by even the name, let alone the body part in question.

And I have heard both vajayjay and vagoo being used by both genders.

Do they not realize it makes them sound like they're 5 years old? Do they still say peepee or weewee?

^-.-^
              I hate the word vajayjay too...and I totally blame Oprah for its spread. Vagoo I don't mind but then I like Least I Could Do (http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20080524)

In the past year I've bought 4 Cosmos (I know they're horrible, a total guilty pleasure of mine from growing up in a small town and reading the magazine and believing when I was in my 20's my life would be like that - feel free to mock )

I don't know if it will make a difference but I just sent Cosmo a comment on the December issue:

I have to admit while I don't have a subscription to Cosmo I've been a fan since I was 16 and every year I'd by one at least once a quarter. I'd read the articles, look at the clothes and usually bought something from your makeup or skincare recommendations.

Unfortunately that stops now. In your December issue on page 178 you ran a blurb about how to get a refund without a receipt. I have been in stores behind people who use the tactics that were suggested. I know people who have been behind the counter who have gone home and cried because of how mean people can get when they can't get their own way. Shame on you Cosmo for encouraging that women don't take responsibility for their actions and bully a clerk who is just trying to do their job. Are you really telling me that it's difficult to keep a piece of paper for 30 or 90 days so that you can easily and without fuss return an item? Perhaps you should have blurbs about staying better organized instead.
              A crisis is a problem you can't control. Drama is a problem you can, but won't. - Otter

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                ^^^At the swamp, any unsold magazines being replaced by a new edition are returned to the circulation company, probably for a full or partial refund.
                When I was a retail slave, this was my job. I handled the whole process from ordering, goods in, packing shelves, and return to supplier. The whole lot (well almost) was sale or return, within limits (sometimes we would have to return less then ordered, and within time limits for returns).

I had the system so perfect, my store was constantly at the top for sales, least wastage and best presented.

Unfortunately when I left, Head Office got into arguments with suppliers which decimated what was supplied (not being able to sell the country's top selling newspaper for example.) Oh well, not my problem any more.

C.
                Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

Comment

Quoth JambaBamba View Post
                  I don't know if it will make a difference but I just sent Cosmo a comment on the December issue:

I have to admit while I don't have a subscription to Cosmo I've been a fan since I was 16 and every year I'd by one at least once a quarter. I'd read the articles, look at the clothes and usually bought something from your makeup or skincare recommendations.

Unfortunately that stops now. In your December issue on page 178 you ran a blurb about how to get a refund without a receipt. I have been in stores behind people who use the tactics that were suggested. I know people who have been behind the counter who have gone home and cried because of how mean people can get when they can't get their own way. Shame on you Cosmo for encouraging that women don't take responsibility for their actions and bully a clerk who is just trying to do their job. Are you really telling me that it's difficult to keep a piece of paper for 30 or 90 days so that you can easily and without fuss return an item? Perhaps you should have blurbs about staying better organized instead.
                  I give you many kudos and hope they publish it!

Comment

Looks like they've retracted. Maybe. A little bit.

Well actually they're saying that they're sorry they pissed off so many people, not that they're sorry for the content of what they printed.

http://www.retailhellunderground.com...s-to-yell.html

edit: I just re-read it, and they aren't apologizing at all, just acknowledging that they pissed people off, and "we love getting feedback from you".

Comment

Hyndis, yes..I would believe what some people get away with returning. When you get to see your assistant manager return something that defies description, with no upc, box, or any way of telling WHAT it was let alone what it might possibly be worth..nothing surprises you. I flat out refused the return, but of course was 'overruled', but the person who over ruled me had to do the return themselves, after I signed out and would not sign back in to do the return. I also said right to the manager "No way, YOU do the return, because I am not. You shouldn't either."

*shrugs*
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

The funniest thing, in my opinion, is that the majority of people who read - and were inspired by - this and similar magazine articles, probably just read the magazine (or just the "interesting" parts) instore and put it back without paying when they were done.

I have seen them do this too many times to be surprised by it. Some even read multiple magazines while I, in full employee-wear, passed by and/or offered them assistance several times in a single hour.....
                        Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth JarethsPet View Post
                          New York
                          Says it all.

Comment

Working...
                          X