X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't poke the bear

Especially not the old grizzly bears.

I 'd been into town with my Dad and stopped at a supermarket for a few things. At the checkout, our things were being scanned when Dad suddenly remembered something else we wanted and scurried off to get it. Before he got back with it, a very smartly-dressed young man came to the checkout and the cashier explained we were waiting for my Dad. Now Dad is in his eighties, so doesn't sprint, but he's not a slow shuffler either and he was back within about a minute. That was obviously too long for the young man though...

YM (snarkily): I had to wait!

Dad (instantly fiery): HARD BLOODY LUCK!!

I don't know what reaction the man was expecting, but it wasn't that - he took a step back, the cashier jumped a bit (thinking there'd be a fight, perhaps?) I paid for everything and picked up my bags, with Dad still glaring at the young guy, and we left. The thing is, if the other guy hadn't said anything, I know Dad would have apologised for keeping him waiting; but when he jumped in first with the snarky comment, he got it paid back with interest.
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Quoth Marmalady View Post
    The thing is, if the other guy hadn't said anything, I know Dad would have apologised for keeping him waiting; but when he jumped in first with the snarky comment, he got it paid back with interest.
    Quite right, too. You get back the attitude you give; politeness breeds politeness, rudeness gets a verbal smack-down.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
      rudeness gets a verbal smack-down.
      It certainly does from my dad Be nice to him, he'll be nice as pie to you; but if you want a row, he'll be more than happy to let you have one.
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Haha I LOVE YOUR DAD!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

So do I

He may have arthritis in his bones but he's still got fire in his belly.

Comment

My gpa was like that... Well both of my gpas were. You just weren't rude around them, or they'd flay you. Andvwoe betide anyone that was rude to the women in their lives...

Comment

Working...
            X