This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• online suckage

*posting this here because although this involves an online game, it got me wondering how this woman behaves when she has problems in the "real world".*

To give some brief background info, for those who may not be familiar with Hay Day....players have the option to join neighborhoods, and participate in weekly derbies. With the neighborhood I joined, people were great about helping each other out......"Shirley" in particular.

Some months back, the guy who created my neighborhood (I'll call him "Kevin") had to step back because of surgery/medical issues, so he made "Shirley" a co-leader. This worked well for awhile, but recently she started getting a bit fussy about doing well in the weekly derbies.....booted several members who hadn't played in awhile. And yesterday, she was making snippy comments towards another player about needing to opt out of the next derby, or she would be booted.

"Kevin" still plays occasionally, and he called "Shirley" out on her attitude, told her that she was taking this derby thing WAY too seriously, and reminded her it was just a game. "Shirley" was NOT happy to be told this, got really huffy, and dropped out of the neighborhood. (she's since created her own neighborhood, called "Fair Play")

A person in an online game community taking things too seriously?

I've NEVER heard of this phenomenon before!
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Well, what made this incident stand out to me is that, according to her profile pic, "Shirley" is in the 50s to 60s age range.

Comment

Suck knows no age, gender, orientation, religious, political, financial, or geographical boundaries.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
          "Shirley" was NOT happy to be told this, got really huffy, and dropped out of the neighborhood. (she's since created her own neighborhood, called "Fair Play")
          We've had a few former members from here do the same sort of thing. They decided the didn't like our rules here and/or got themselves banned, and tried to start their own customer service-related board. As far as I know, none of them ever really took off.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            They decided the didn't like our rules here and/or got themselves banned, and tried to start their own customer service-related board. As far as I know, none of them ever really took off.
            Looks like they didn't like the MacKenzie Brothers' (Great White North - feature of Canadian broadcasts of SCTV) rules either. After all, one of their favourite sayings was "Take off, eh!".

O/T, but do anti-nuclear activists object to your town's version of a certain rainbow-themed event?
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I played hay day and quit when the derby quests started. Hated them.

Comment

Why on earth should supergroups/guilds/neighborhoods be any different from a retail situation? You give what might have been a good player a little power and it will often swell their little heads. Then they make a huge mess, causing the actual leader to have to step in, often removing the power. Losing that power triggers a "I am gonna take my toys and go home," and they attempt to start their own group. Problem is they have a harder time attracting players to it, because their old group knows exactly how they are.

Of course, that the best case. Usually, it causes the group to fall apart.
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Back in the day I played WoW. It was fun when it was just my real-life friends in our own guild. Then some of us got slightly more serious and joined a laid back guild with mostly strangers. Laid back for WoW, that is... I kept logging on and seeing that I had nearly been kicked because I "didn't raid enough." Even though I was always up for smaller group quests, or helping someone level. I also played support classes, but I was always so nervous because you'd get really serious players and they would try to tell me how to heal. Or get really upset if we wiped (everyone died) and blame me. I just wanted to play a fun game, not get yelled at, thanks very much.

So I quit, and haven't played another MMORPG since. I like the idea of playing in a world along side other real people (not NPCs), but I DETEST being forced to team up in order to complete some quest, or get some item. So your whole derby drama is not surprising to me at all. And the name Fair Play? Just obnoxious, if you ask me.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    So I quit, and haven't played another MMORPG since. I like the idea of playing in a world along side other real people (not NPCs), but I DETEST being forced to team up in order to complete some quest, or get some item. So your whole derby drama is not surprising to me at all. And the name Fair Play? Just obnoxious, if you ask me.
                    Star Wars: The Old Republic

Extremely soloist friendly. The entire core plotline from 1st to 60th level (and 65th once the new expansion comes out later this month) is specifically intended to be done solo.

Most non-core missions can be soloed (and soloable modes of most of the ones that aren't are being added in the new expansion).

You can still get benefits from joining a guild, and there are other benefits of having other players around (like the Galactic Trade Network, i.e. Auction House), and there are side quests that require 4, 8 or 16 man groups. . .but you can play just by yourself all the way to the endgame.

If you do decide to play, I'm on the Ebon Hawk server :-)

Comment

Quoth silverstaff View Post

Extremely soloist friendly. The entire core plotline from 1st to 60th level (and 65th once the new expansion comes out later this month) is specifically intended to be done solo.
                      Good job by the designers making it so you don't need to get into a group in order to finish the game.

You can still get benefits from joining a guild, and there are other benefits of having other players around (like the Galactic Trade Network, i.e. Auction House), and there are side quests that require 4, 8 or 16 man groups.
                      On the other Han...
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Most non-core missions can be soloed (and soloable modes of most of the ones that aren't are being added in the new expansion).
                        I might have to check TOR out. Been looking for something new. I like gaming with others, but I don't want to be required to have others to make progress. Borderlands series, I'm pointing at you. The first one was great. Second, not so much. Utterly impossible to make progress in certain areas without extra players, overpowered weapons, cheat modes, or all of the above.

Comment

Thanks! I can't in good conscience start a new game right now, because of school, but that does sound awesome. Really, OT, but back in the day the first online game I played was Ragnarok Online in about 2003 or 04. If anyone's ever played that, you'll know I have no problem with repetitiveness, it's almost soothing. However, I do tend to spend lots of time when I first start a game. One word... Minecraft.

Something back on topic, I always hated boards which make you list your age... That's just seems silly. First off, it's online, people can lie. Second, like that makes a difference? On WoW I'd get people complaining to me about how "immature the teenagers are, we should make a guild with only people old enough to drink!" (21 here) And I was like, "I'm 18."
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I miss City of Heroes. It was fairly solo-able for the main content and leveling. Only things that required a team were the task forces and one holiday event. Major events, like Zombie and Rikti (spelling?) invasions didn't require a team to participate. All you had to be was OUTSIDE and things would spawn to try and kill you. If you wanted to do the major part of those events, you just met up with others in a certain area and started busting heads.

Super Groups were more for the Hideouts, where you had a place certain members of your SG could decorate for the whole SG. It had extra storage, ways to get to the bank vault without having to leave the hideout. You could also teleport from it to other zones, making travel less of a headache.

I miss that game...
                            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                              I miss City of Heroes. It was fairly solo-able for the main content and leveling. Only things that required a team were the task forces and one holiday event. Major events, like Zombie and Rikti (spelling?) invasions didn't require a team to participate. All you had to be was OUTSIDE and things would spawn to try and kill you. If you wanted to do the major part of those events, you just met up with others in a certain area and started busting heads.

Super Groups were more for the Hideouts, where you had a place certain members of your SG could decorate for the whole SG. It had extra storage, ways to get to the bank vault without having to leave the hideout. You could also teleport from it to other zones, making travel less of a headache.

I miss that game...
                              Have you seen City of Titans? It's still in development, after a very successful kickstarter, but is being made by a group of people who loved CoX.

Also - in regards to WoW, it's very solo friendly now. I've soloed nearly every class from 1-90 and have half a dozen at 100 all through solo PvE. Once you have a bit of cash the heirloom items (much revamped since they're first introduction and available with a moderate amount of gold) make it a lot easier to play & level.
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
                              X