This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're not projecting alot of self confidence

This is a class story buckle up folks (move if you decide this is the wrong place)

So one of my classes this semester is Introduction to Special Education.

We just started learning disorders this week. While starting the the chapter she gives us the federal definition of what a learning disorder is and the National Committee on Learning Disorders definition on what a learning disorder is. As she starts working her way through the definition she comes to the word 'Heterogeneous' of which she then tells us to circle it cause she is going to give a description of the word so we understand what the sentence says (instant thought- wow you have no faith in our intelligence).

Now that sentence is basically- Learning Disorders are a heterogeneous collection of conditions that effect a child's ability to learn.

Her description of Heterogeneous? A group containing both boys and girls.

Brain screech. Think about that description in the context of that sentence. 'Learning Disorders are a group containing both boys and girls collection of conditions that effect a child's ability to learn'

Now my mind says 'that can't be the definition' but not wanting to just say that without proof and an example I quickly look up the word and find the real definition - diverse in character or content.
    Now think about that sentence with that definition 'Learning Disorders are diverse in character or content collection of conditions that effect a child's ability to learn.' Makes more sense does it.

So we haven't really moved on from this part of the description (its like a 12 sentence description and uses a lot of 3 dollar fancy words). So I figure it would be best if we all had the right definition and raise my hand. She calls of me and say this - 'Um, I just wanted us all to know so we had the correct information the definition of Heterogeneous isn't a groups of both boys and girls its diverse in character or content.'
    'Okay, thank you Slicey but my definition is the one we are using'
    'Sorry your's just didn't make sense in the context of the sentence'
    'Actually yes it did but lets move on'

So for the rest of class she keeps making snarky passive-aggressive comments about me. Like snarky comments about me looking up the definition of other words or pointing me out for something in a sentence.

So at the end of the class I am packing up my bag and grab a flyer she sent around the class to take it back up to her so she didn't have to run it down. Since I had a lot of loose stuff I was the last one in class. The moment I hand her the flyer she starts ripping into me telling me that you should never correct a professor during a lecture and that I was incredibly inconsiderate and I should never do it again.

I was speechless. I have pointed out small mistakes like this to professors and teachers before. Usually they laugh it off, thank me, or explain why I'm wrong in an equally respectful way with a possibly more descriptive manner.

As far as I know I had 4 options.
    A. Do what I did -respectfully raise my hand and politely give the real definition.
    B. Say nothing. Let myself develop a belief that my teacher is stupid, let my classmates have a wrong info maybe to find out that the teacher gave us a totally wrong definition.
    C. Say nothing in class. Tell all my classmates outside of class and spread the image of our teacher might be a moron around.
    D. Wait until the last few minutes of class and then tell the whole class meaning they have to go back and fix it in their notes and probably still get told off by the teacher.

I didn't stand up holding my kindle with the definition displayed on it and said 'You're full of bullshit and are a moron'. I was polite as possible.

I have to point out this teacher is a specially trained and licensed special education teacher. I have meet plenty of people with autism or down syndrome who will be more than willing point errors when they notice them. HOW THE IN THE BLOODY HELL CAN THIS WOMAN HANDLE WORKING WITH PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES OR DISORDERS IF SHE CAN'T HANDLE ONE COLLEGE STUDENT POINTING OUT ONE MISTAKE!

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
    I was speechless. I have pointed out small mistakes like this to professors and teachers before. Usually they laugh it off, thank me, or explain why I'm wrong in an equally respectful way with a possibly more descriptive manner.
    You have been incredibly lucky if none of your teachers reacted badly to being corrected. I learned this lesson in middle school. 6th or 7th grade, I corrected a teacher's pronunciation. It was really, really awful and I can't even remember what the word was anymore. She full on HATED me and also made mean comments about me for a good long time after. I was a little kid, and she hated me. So it does not surprise me that even with specialized training a teacher would act like this.

PS: Technically, diversity would include both genders, I suppose. However the word heterogeneous is much broader, and includes MUCH more than mere "boys and girls." If your teacher thinks this is an acceptable definition I'd question what knowledge I could possibly gain in her class.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
      HOW THE IN THE BLOODY HELL CAN THIS WOMAN HANDLE WORKING WITH PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES OR DISORDERS IF SHE CAN'T HANDLE ONE COLLEGE STUDENT POINTING OUT ONE MISTAKE!
      Well, your professor is a perfect example of the old saying, "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach."

Comment

She apparently doesn't know the difference between an example and a definition. Frankly I'd report her to the dean. Her behavior is unacceptable and her failure to understand a word that is as basic to both science and social science as the word "mama" is to your average toddler indicates a severe lack of knowledge of her subject matter and abilility to teach.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Wow, you got a smart cookie there. Is it too late to switch to another class?

Comment

Quoth flyonthewall View Post
            Wow, you got a smart cookie there. Is it too late to switch to another class?
            Unfortantly it is. I have to suck it up.

What made it funny to me was what happened before class

Mini story!

So the day before i was sitting in one of the dining halls reading and working my slowly through dinner when i suddenly hear pounding on a window and someone calling my name.

I look around and see one of my classmates from this class and another girl a vaguely remember meeting before. They wave to me with big ol' smiles and I wave back, i have no clue what is going on but i appreciate the gesture.

So before class I'm setting up my supplies and knitting and said classmate comes over to sit next to me. She explains that she and her best friend had been walking to another class through the union when her friend looked down and saw me. She then pointed me out and said 'Oh I meet that girl the other day, she seems so sweet and adorable' so classmate looks over sees and recognizes me and says 'She in one of my classes she is sweet and adorable!' so they decided they had to say hi before running off.

She then proceeded to tell me I was one of the coolest people she meet in her class because I was nice and sweet and because I dressed in shirts that said things like [] gay []straight [/] WIBBLY-WOBBLY SEXY WEXY and Books turn Muggles into wizards. She also said one of the reasons she liked me was because we where both older students who changed our major once we realized we liked working with kids and liked the thought of teaching more.

So even though i had sucky teacher moment I at least got to have a nice ego boost that day.

Comment

Oh, she'd have a field day with heterozygous, then. Surely it must mean "boys and girls," (X and Y), rather than the proper dominant-recessive meaning in genetics!

Example: In my family, I'm homozygous A in blood type, but my kids are heterozygous A. I know this, because I am an A from an A heterozygous and an AB. My husband is an O. Plot on a Punnett Square and there you go. 100% AO, and no other outcome.

What gets me is this woman is teaching and doesn't know the meaning.. I haven't covered this stuff in 20 years and I still do!
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

A few of my friends who recently went through classes to obtain their B.Ed told similar stories about clueless teachers who clearly hadn't been out in the regular workforce for years. It's definitely a good thing that these teachers weren't in charge of elementary or high school students because they are really out of touch with how to teach, and they probably weren't all that in touch with things even when they were still in the school system! It definitely made me glad that I didn't get into the B.Ed program because I don't suffer stupid people easily and have driven more than one post-secondary teacher to retire early or quit.

Comment

"Use her definition", huh? Sorry, that doesn't cut it. Her definition was COMPLETELY INCORRECT.

a heterogeneous collection of conditions
                  In this context heterogeneous was not referring to the fact that both boys and girls can have learning disabilities, it's referring to the learning disabilities themselves.

In other words, this teacher is an idiot who doesn't understand a simple sentence.

Yes, I've encountered this sort of thing before. Waaaay back in, I think, third grade. My teacher wrote out a poem (taken from a book) on the blackboard for us to copy into our notebooks. The poem was about the sun coming out and one of the lines was "Through off the blanket and bustle about."

You read that right: "Through" off instead of "throw". I kept looking and looking at it and finally went up to the teacher and quietly asked if "through" was correct. She looked through (ha!) the book and decided that yes, it was. I went back to my seat, having learned my most valuable lesson that year: The teacher is not always correct.

It still bothers me to this day that she believed what was obviously a misprint and that she didn't know the difference between "throw" and "through."
                  Last edited by MoonCat; 10-05-2015, 03:01 AM.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    ... she didn't know the difference between "throw" and "through."
                    Really bamboozle her... Toss in "thorough."
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My middle son had it out with his third grade teacher because the teacher insisted a square was not a rectangle.

My oldest son (with my help) got a state test question thrown out in the 6th grade. The question was: true or false? Multiplication is alway commutative. The "right" answer was true, but the statement is actually false. There are other sets of numbers besides the real numbers and multiplication is not commutative in all of them. Matrix multiplication is the most common example of that.
                      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Oh, just remembered another good time in school. I was in fourth or fifth grade,(mid 90s) and we had to do a report on an historical figure. I chose Nickola Tesla. My teacher didn't know who he was, and didn't believe me when I said he invented many things along side Edison. She told me that Edison did everything, and that I could do my report on him. My mom got involved, and I ended up doing my report on Tesla. I had a bunch of biographies to bring in, too. In this case my teacher was humble and we got along just fine after that.

In high school I was in a web page design class, where you turned in your work electronically. My friend turned in an assignment, and the teacher somehow didn't get it. But my friend showed her the assignment in the "sent" folder, with time and date stamp. Teacher refused to believe that it was accurate and gave her a 0.

But I do think most teachers are awesome, it's just when they're wrong they seem POSITIVE they are right, which makes everything so much worse.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Oh man, this reminded me of when I was taking a university class on Imperialism in History, and I had it out with my prof over the difference between British imperialism and Russian imperialism. He admitted point blank that he had absolutely no foundation in Russian history or anything else and was completely coming from the model of British imperialism, and that ALL forms of imperialism followed that model. I am pretty certain that I backed myself up rather well in my 20+ page term paper, but he still did not agree although he gave me a passing grade. Probably felt sorry for me because I had a nasty bout of pneumonia going on when I came in to do my presentation for the paper, but jeez. If the class had been on British imperialism I wouldn't have set out to prove that Russian imperialism is different...but then I wouldn't have taken the class in the first place because my focus in History was Russia and Germany.

Comment

The scientist in me twitched reading this story. She says you shouldn't correct her in class, but really she shouldn't be using words she doesn't know the definition of.

There's a very important person at work who regularly incorrectly uses the words homogeneous and heterogeneous and it takes all my effort not to start a fight over it. He got super pissed the first time I tried to correct him and since he's technically the customer, it's just not worth it.
                            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I've told the story before about a math professor I had in college who was utterly flabbergasted I knew how to do something we hadn't covered in class yet. I'd learned it in high school, and instead of being excited or just indifferent about it, she was condescending and hateful. That was about the time I quite paying attention in that class.
                              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                              X