Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have near panic attacks at the idea of driving in large cities like Los Angeles and doubt I'd do any better with a GPS. While I'm fine in places I've already been or know exactly where something is, there's just something that kicks in and causes panic when I don't know. Some people just can't do it.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
    ~Clerks

Comment

Giant block of text,,,,can't...read.
      Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

I just wanted to apologize for this first post. I was unfamiliar with how your site worked and I am sorry.

This post actually started as a blog post on a different site I am on. It was the first thing I could think of sharing. I used to work at Walt Disney World and Universal Studios and if I can come up with any of the sucky stories I had from there I will gladly share them.

As for the paragraph problem I have, I know how to use paragraphs, I just tend to forget online. As you can see I do use appropriate spelling, punctuation and grammar most of the time so I am learned in the area of writing. I'm just lazy about some things.

I will think long and hard before my next post and hopefully I will be able to redeem myself in the future. Thanks for your comments, they will make me a better person.

And also, as for the woman being sucky, she was. Just because it did not come across that way, it was true. I was not trying to be racsist in anyway. I would treat any customer this way regardless of race, age or language issues. I just don't like customers. And as for this not being done with proper customer service, I am not in the customer service department. That is not a great excuse, but it is the only one I have. Good day.
        Last edited by avissucks; 09-24-2007, 10:12 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Quoth avissucks View Post
          I just wanted to apologize for this first post. I was unfamiliar with how your site worked and I am sorry.
          Don't worry. We're well aware that customers can be sucky, but it can take a lot of work to convey this in text. We're looking forward to seeing more of your posts, after a bit of proofreading.

Comment

23 year olds can't read maps either.
            When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Personally, I read the comments about hitting a certain age and losing the ability to read maps as sarcasm...though, I suppose there's some truth to it, as most people's eyesight does start to go and they may be fine seeing distances to drive but maybe not so much with the close up reading necessary to use a map. Though I've never used a GPS, I'm much more comfortable driving someplace new (especially if it involves a lot of traffic or tricky roads) if I have someone with me to navigate. If that's not an option, I make sure to study the directions and look at the map before I go. Hey, I made it to my friend's wedding and back so I guess I do OK

As for your first comment about mentioning your company, that's fine, as long as no one's going to be able to figure out who you are and use something negative you post against you. Just something to keep in mind.

Welcome to the site, and I'm glad to see we don't seem to have scared you off!
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I have never been able to read a map or know how to go East, West, etc. I need landmarks.

I don't have GPS on my car, my husband has to help me the first couple of times I have to drive somewhere unfamiliar until I have the landmarks down.

If someone is giving me directions and my husband is not around, I ask they do so by landmarks, so that I know I'm going the right way.
                Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Fashion Lad! View Post
                  Don't worry, I'm 25, nearly 26, by human standards, come from a family where only Mom & I have no direction sense, and I can't do more than point to a map. "Yup, there it is."
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I will say, after reading all the response on this, that I'd like to add another 2c. I'm terrible with directions, for the most part. I can follow them, but I'm bad at NESW directions, love landmarks, and can't make up my own directions unless I'm familiar with the area.

The difference between myself and the SC in the OP? I print out multiple sets of maps/directions anytime I go anywhere unfamiliar. When I travel to a new/out-of-state venue for a sporting event or concert, I look up the venue's directions/map online, print those out, then Mapquest the address from my place, print out those, and sometimes, if I'm driving alone, even re-write the directions on my own, on a piece of white paper using a Sharpie so the print is big and clear. I'm a huge nerd, and look silly with my packet o' directions, but at least I know where I'm going and don't have to rely on anyone or anything else.
                    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I do the exact same thing myswtghst! I print out directions to anywhere I am going to want to go in the big city and I even print it in reverse order and sometimes I print it in a couple of different orders. I am never sure where the day is going to take me but wherever I am in the city I am sure to hit a road that is in my directions. Then I know I can eventually find my way.

Comment

Don't worry about it, you'll do fine.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                        ~Clerks

Comment

Hey, everyone starts somewhere. Takes guts to leap into an established culture with both feet. For what it's worth, welcome, and don't be scared of us. We don't bite. Much.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I do the exact same thing myswtghst! I print out directions to anywhere I am going to want to go in the big city and I even print it in reverse order and sometimes I print it in a couple of different orders. I am never sure where the day is going to take me but wherever I am in the city I am sure to hit a road that is in my directions. Then I know I can eventually find my way.
                            I didn't even mention that, but I have a tendency to print the MapQuest directions both to and from, both with and without highways, etc, etc, etc. Saves me from worrying about what to do if there's a ton of construction or something unforseen.
                            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Google Maps works fine for me

About people not being able to read maps at certain ages, I think this more or less comes down to the laziness issue of the current generation. I personally love to read (maps are JUST another book to me :P) but there are tons of people around that refuse to read books of any kind. (can I declare war on DVDs, and GPSes and the like? please? :P)
                              MMO Addicts group

Comment

Quoth Fashion Lad! View Post
                                I was able to read a map, when I was first learning to drive

I do the same thing.

I never thought about writing it down in a note pad before.
                                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Working...
                                X