This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jacen View Post
    I personally love to read (maps are JUST another book to me :P) but there are tons of people around that refuse to read books of any kind. (can I declare war on DVDs, and GPSes and the like? please? :P)
    See, for me, reading is a means to an end. I need to get something specific out of it. Even if that something is just entertainment. I read constantly, though entirely too much of it is technical reading (unfortunately).

Maps? I can read them. But they're not a book to me. And definitely not something I can read while driving. Studying them can be done, true, but too often I don't know I need to study them. I'm suddenly off and running to get somewhere that, 10 minutes ago, I didn't know I needed to go there.

For that reason, GPS navigation systems are a god send. Declare war on DVDs if you wish, but not on the GPS system. It's entirely too useful for day to day life, at least for me.

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
    We don't bite. Much.
    Damn. I'd seen a few on here I was hoping did bite. And you've just dashed my hopes. Ah well

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post

Damn. I'd seen a few on here I was hoping did bite. And you've just dashed my hopes. Ah well
      I did say "much". And I do believe I've seen one or two people who say they don't bite unless requested
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

My boss has a GPS and he prefers to have printed maps of anywhere he's going.

Google Maps are great. I prefer them a whole lot over Mapquest, myself. But I, personally, don't trust any map sites directions; I always come up with my own whenever I go someplace new.

I'm another "map packet" person. If I know I need to go somewhere new, I'll hit Google, check out the way the roads work, and if I'm at work, I'll print myself a set of maps, with both full overview and closeups of the places I'll likely be, and I'll use a highlighter to mark where I'm going and the route I think will be best.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

60 year old people can not read maps!!!
          I'm not surprised. Neither can people from Asian countries, South Africa, and "the Iraq."
          "several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years."
          -FSTDT

Comment

Quoth ContraCorriente View Post
            I'm not surprised. Neither can people from Asian countries, South Africa, and "the Iraq."
            What's worse, many U.S. Americans don't have maps
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Ducky Dew View Post
              (Yeah, yeah, you're all just awesomeness incarnate really, that's it, but I won't feed your egos any more )
              But...my ego is still hungry.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

In defense of the OP

While the points about what the OP did wrong are true, there is a detail mentioned that I think is important.

The lady wanted someone to come to her at 5AM, this is early, there is not much in the way of traffic that early. And if she left a little earlier like 4:00-4:30 AM then she will be able to make her trip using a map on very quiet streets.

It is one thing to find your way through a strange city at 12:00 Noon, and a totally different thing at 4:00 am when all is quiet.

As for reading maps while driving. DON'T! I pull out my map, plan ahead as far as I can firmly remember, and when I reach that point or near it, pull over and read the map some more. I never get lost if I have a good map with me, because I use it in stages.
                Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 09-29-2007, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Quoth ContraCorriente View Post
                  Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  What's worse, many U.S. Americans don't have maps

I think, before anyone else misunderstands, we better clarify that you guys are poking fun at the recent Miss South Carolina beauty pageant screwup, and we haven't really allowed racial type slurs to remain on the board.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII
                  Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                  X