Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just because I can do something doesn't mean I will!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just because I can do something doesn't mean I will!

Oh the joys of working in a call center...

M = Me
    SCs = well, you know

America's #1, dickwad!

You may recall I posted awhile back about a gentleman who demanded to be transferred to the US and barked on about how outsourcing stole jobs from his neighbours and bankrupted his relatives....this week I think had a run-in with one of his cousins...

M: Can I get your cell phone number please?
    SC: Where are you located?
    (for the record I sound american enough I could've said I was in New York state and he'd have believed me, but my honesty got the better of me)
    M: This center is located in Canada sir.
    SC: Ok, listen up buttwipe, would you please transfer me to the United States and don't tell me you can't because I know you can!
    (actually we can NOT transfer people there)
    M: I'm sorry sir I don't have any way to transfer you to the US
    SC: You're lying! I know you can do it asshole, transfer me!
    M: Sir, I have NO WAY to transfer you to the US
    SC: TRANSFER ME TO THE UNITED STATES BUTTWIPE!!
    M: I have no way to transfer you there sir.
    SC: WELL THEN MAYBE YOUR DAMNED MANAGER DOES!
    M: One moment sir.
    *CLICK* (he hung up, I didn't)

You know I like to think myself capable of doing anything an american can do for the most part, I just don't get why some people are so hardcore. Good riddance.

What I can do vs. What I WILL do

I played Sup on this call, basically the guy wanted an extension because he could not pay his bill. He'd already been given one on a promise to pay $150 but never paid his end of it. Suffice to say I'm not given him another freebie.

M: Sir I understand what you are asking but we made an arrangment with you, you failed to keep your end of it, you will not be getting another one.
    SC: Come on man, I only need until Friday. I got my wife and kids that be needin' to call me!
    M: Sir, you made a promise to pay us once and you broke it, what guarantee do I have you won't do it again?
    SC: Look, I SWEAR to you man, this time I'ma pay up! I promise you
    M: Well sir, you promised before and nothing happened. I do apologize but you are not getting another extension
    SC: Don't do this to me man, isn't this Customer Service, why ain't you serving the customer like you supposed to be doing?
    M: Sir, once again, you made a promise to us, broke it and we will not be doing it again. You are limited to one extension per bill cycle. Besides, even I did put a credit on this account it would not be enough to restore your service.
    SC: Oh so you mean you can and you're not going to?
    M: Excuse me?
    SC: You said "If I put another credit on" like you were thinking of doing it, obviously you can do it in the system so why won't you help me out?
    M: AGAIN sir, you made a promise to us, did not fulfill it and we will not be making another one with you.
    SC: But that's not customer service! Just press a few buttons and help me out. How can you play me like this? You can do it, you just don't want to!
    M: Sir whether or not I can is not the issue here. I certainly could do it if I wanted do, but given the circumstances I must follow our standard procedure and not do it.
    SC: What kind of service is this?? I'm asking for THREE days man! My wife and my kids, they need this! Just help me out man!
    M: For the LAST TIME SIR, you made a promise to pay us and you did not fulfill that, so we will not be giving you another change. Thanks for calling and have a good day.
    M: (puts headset down and lets guy keep venting until he eventually hangs up)

Walmart COULD discount a Plasma TV $500 for you if they wanted to, but just because you ask them doesn't mean they will. Some people don't understand.

Notable humor

Not a call, just a funny account note I saw today:

CUST MUST STOP TELLING US TO DO STUFF AND THEN HANG UP, SINCE WE NEED HIM ON THE CALL TO CONFIRM EVERYTHING. ADVISED CUST OF THIS.
    CUST HUNG UP.

I know it's not roll on the floor funny, but for some reason it just gave me a really good laugh.

Power Play

M: And the password on the account?
    SC: Man I don't know, I just need to get it changed to my name.
    Me: So you don't know the password or security info, but you want us to put your name on this account?
    SC: Yeah!
    Methinking: ) Well sir, firstly we can't change the name on an account over the phone, secondly we couldn't possibly change the name on an account at the request of someone who can't verify any information on the account.
    SC: Damn!...Am I ever going to be able to use this phone?
    Me: Excuse me?
    SC: She gave me this phone and now I can't use it.
    Me: (light bulb) Oh so you need to get the PHONE active on YOUR account
    SC: Yeah! That's what I told you!
    Me: Well in order for that to happen she has to pay her bill first.
    SC: DAMN. We'll I'ma hafta call her up. Thanks.

It made sense eventually, but at first it was a serious "WHO does this person think he is?" kind of moment.

Sob Story Soiree

And finally I thought it'd be fun to list some of the reasons people use to convince me to restore their service, even if they are hundreds of dollars in the hole.

"You need to turn my phone on because...

...my mother/brother/sister/uncle/dog is having major, life threatnening surgery"

...I just got out of jail/someone I know is in jail"

...I'm on a fixed income/retired/social assistance"

...It's the Christian thing to do"

...It's an American thing to do"

...I'm going to miss a really important party/date/birthday/anniversary/wedding"

...I need to stay in touch with my babies!"

...I have <insert ANY medical condition here> and you should feel sorry for me"

...I have <insert ANY psychological condition here> and you should feel sorry for me"

...I just got in a car accident and nearly died" (sucks for you, but what does that have to do with your phone?)

And... *drum roll please* My all time favourite from last Spring:

...I live in Virgina and all of us here have been going through hell since the shootings (VA Tech), It's been so awful around here and I'd really appreciate the help"

(She lived over 150 MILES from VA Tech!! Yeah...nice try lady)
    Last edited by CrazedClerk; 09-27-2007, 02:10 AM.

I *love* the outsourcing calls. People are so stupid--it costs much more money to pay a worker in the US, and they don't want to eat the amount it would add to their bill, but are angry that businesses take advantage of outsourcing.

I'm in a field now that I do work for Homeland Security, and other gov't customers, so we can't be outsourced, but I'll be darned if we don't have people here who sound like they're still in India or the Philippines.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I would gladly take somebody at a call center in Canada over some of the people you get from overseas sometimes. I could hardly call outsourcing to Canada true outsourcing since I'm sure you get paid approximately the same as somebody in the States would for a similar job.

That being said... With regards to that first story, why the hell wouldn't he just pay his damn bill and be done with it. If it were me, I'd send what I could then, and send the rest at the next paycheck. I would also call customer service and explain the situation to them. But that guy didn't even seem to be willing to make an effort. Too bad, so sad, looks like you aren't going to get to use the phone since you weren't willing to pay for your service.

On the power play person. We get people like that at the bank too. Mommy calls up and wants to know the balance on little Timmy's account so she can know if she needs to put money in the account or not yet, surprise surprise, she's not an authorized person on his account. After all, Timmy is at school now and can't put money in the account for himself. Now, my dad knows my checking account number only so he can go and deposit money into my account if it's an emergency and I need it. He does not, however, know my balance or any other information, nor does he really care about it. Then mommy proceeds to complain about how it's not fair that we won't let her know about her son's personal and private account information.

Some people just don't get it.
      Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

Actually outsourcing will eventually become a non-issue. As outsourcing rises, the competition between outsourced companies abroad is causing workers' pay to increase. Meanwhile, here in the USA the cost of work is dropping due to outsourcing. Eventually (probably within the next 20 years, or sooner if communications and transportation continue to improve and get cheaper, faster, and more convenient) foreign workers and U.S. workers will be at a fairly similar pay rate, and a balance will be achieved. Until one economic disaster or another floors one of the economies involved. Then everything will be in disarray again.

Does this mean U.S. workers and foreign workers will have equal qualities of life? Maybe. Or maybe not. It all depends on politics and the national economies of involved (and uninvolved) nations.
        "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
          SC: Don't do this to me man, isn't this Customer Service, why ain't you serving the customer like you supposed to be doing?
          : "Aren't customers by definition people who pay for services? Why ain't you paying us like you supposed to be doing?"

Comment

crazed clerk: SC: Don't do this to me man, isn't this Customer Service, why ain't you serving the customer like you supposed to be doing?
            you sir, cannot receive customer service until you're actually a CUSTOMER who pays his bills (on time, preferrably), so, once we receive your payment, you will receive your service. good day, and goodbye.

customer, or leeching freeloader; you decide...
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

There was another story I left off this thread...

It's got my name on it, but I'm not responsible!

SC: How was my daughter able to get her phone reactivated after I suspended it???
              M: Well unfortunately someone probably allowed her access to your account when she provided your social, that's not supposed to happen.
              SC: So why did it???
              M: I don't know ma'am, I did not hear the call and the account notes do not say what info was provided for verification.
              SC: Ok look, I'm sick of tired of this! I've been paying my bill on this account and she never pays hers! If you check your records you'll find an old account of hers that she never paid either! I'm the only one who is supposed to access the account. ME.
              M: I completely understand and I do apologize for the security breach.
              SC: I have asked three times today for a Supervisor and no one will ever get me one!
              M: I never said I would not get you a Supervisor ma'am, but even he could not guarantee that your daughter would never be allowed access to your account.
              SC: I knew I shouldn't have put her on phone on here...*sigh*..how much to cancel this account?
              M: $200 per line ma'am
              SC: Ok now you listen up. I am going to cancel this account but mark my words, I will NOT be held responsible for a SINGLE dime of the charges on her line! I will pay what *I* owe and not a penny more!
              M: You can cancel if you wish, but you WILL be responsible for the charges on ALL your lines--
              SC: The HELL I will!! You better not try and charge ME for my DAUGHTERS phone...I swear if you do...
              M: Ma'am, the account is in YOUR NAME and I'd be willing to be it is YOUR signature on the contracts as well. That being the case, regardless of who has the phone, YOU ARE responsible for ALL charges on YOUR account.
              SC: Well we'll just see what my lawyer has to say about that! *click*

Well at least I can take solace in the fact she'll look like an absolute retard if she ever actually does speak to a lawyer about this. Word to the wise people: If it's in YOUR name, it's YOUR responsibility.

Comment

SC: TRANSFER ME TO THE UNITED STATES BUTTWIPE!!
                Probably wanted support for his BlackBerry....
                There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Power Play

M: And the password on the account?
                  SC: Man I don't know, I just need to get it changed to my name.
                  Me: So you don't know the password or security info, but you want us to put your name on this account?
                  SC: Yeah!
                  Methinking: ) Well sir, firstly we can't change the name on an account over the phone, secondly we couldn't possibly change the name on an account at the request of someone who can't verify any information on the account.
                  SC: Damn!...Am I ever going to be able to use this phone?
                  Me: Excuse me?
                  SC: She gave me this phone and now I can't use it.
                  Me: (light bulb) Oh so you need to get the PHONE active on YOUR account
                  SC: Yeah! That's what I told you!
                  Me: Well in order for that to happen she has to pay her bill first.
                  SC: DAMN. We'll I'ma hafta call her up. Thanks.
                  I know that the cell phone may not be the only phone, but, after reading this, my first thought was "Your phone isn't activated, her phone is shut off for non-payment, how are you planning on calling her up?"

Comment

...I need to stay in touch with my babies!"
                    wow, babies who can use the phone?! I couldn't use the phone till I was at least 4 or 5! Kids grow up so fast these days...

...I live in Virgina and all of us here have been going through hell since the shootings (VA Tech), It's been so awful around here and I'd really appreciate the help"

(She lived over 150 MILES from VA Tech!! Yeah...nice try lady)
                    Well, if she had a family member or friend at the school, I could understand (my cousin's daughter just started her sophomore year at VT), but just because you live in the state? Yeah, sure...
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      Well, if she had a family member or friend at the school, I could understand (my cousin's daughter just started her sophomore year at VT), but just because you live in the state? Yeah, sure...
                      She didn't mention any family members or friends, just used the general "we" so I think she was just looking for a break.

Comment

Working...
                      X