Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have a bank account, and I don't want one at the moment. Why? Because there isn't a trustworthy bank in my area. And I mean that. Not. A. One. Every one of them has gone out of their way to screw over someone I know personally, several have even STOLEN money from my family members, then gave us on-hold-hell when we tried to investigate.

I feel much safer cashing my check for the time being. Wal-Mart, Albertson's, etc., always cash it for a mere three dollars, which is way less than having $20 at a time just "vanish" from an account.

Besides which, I don't have "good enough" credit, because I've only had one credit card for a year, and had to max it out because of a family emergency, and am still paying it back. I hope I'm not an asshole because of that.

I'm not offended or chewing on anyone, just pointing out there are perfectly legitimate reasons direct deposit doesn't work for everyone. Maybe if I move off somewhere and run into a new bank, I'll give them a try, but I flat don't trust any of our local ones.
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

I had a job that did not offer DD at all! The company has such a high turn over rate that it is no wonder they didn't offer it.
      Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
        I had a job that did not offer DD at all! The company has such a high turn over rate that it is no wonder they didn't offer it.
        Our dealership didn't offer it at all either. All payroll stuff was handled in-house, although that doesn't necessarily explain why they didn't offer DD. *boggle*
        "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
          I'm not offended or chewing on anyone, just pointing out there are perfectly legitimate reasons direct deposit doesn't work for everyone. Maybe if I move off somewhere and run into a new bank, I'll give them a try, but I flat don't trust any of our local ones.
          I know there's legitmate reasons, and I'm not ragging on people without one either, but I'm just saying is all, there's options incase you *had* to get direct deposit for some unknown reason. Here in Canada the biggie is President's Choice I believe. It's pretty much an online only bank, and they suggest it to only be used for deposits and storing money,, with a "regular" bank account for bill payments, transfers, etc. because they don't actually have any ATMs or branch locations, so you have to use other banks' resources. I believe internationally there's ING Direct as the biggie for that kind of thing, though I don't know their requirements. There's probably more than a few others, whose reliability can be ascertained with a quick search around the 'net.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Around here, the temp agency Benchmark does all payments as direct deposit. If you don't have a bank account already, they set something up with one of those money-holding groups, and you get a card that's really only useful for pulling all your money out. It's $3 to get money out, and there was one other type of transaction you could do, but I can't recall what it was.

I've found that all banks suck. Every last single blessed one of them. It's just a crap shoot on whether you get a good branch or sucky branch. Although Wells Fargo still goes through transactions in the order most likely to cause overdrafts rather than the order received, even though the got a huge fine for it several years back.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Wells-Fargo is the worst I've ever seen. The gas station I worked at in Colorado used it, and they still wouldn't cash my paychecks without an account.

Comment

Maybe it depends on the Wells Fargo, because when I didn't have a checking account and my job used Wells Fargo, they let me cash my checks there.

Plus I've seen them cash checks for non customers as long as they were payroll checks

Comment

Direct Deposit is a viable idea for large companies.
                  But, I am contract labor (self employed) and the only employee where I contract work. Direct Deposit is not an option.
                  I can understand how dealing with people of lower ethical values can cause frustration. Please remember every situation is different.
                  I handle the accounts payable . . .many contract labor vendors are not set up to take payment outside of cash or check. It isn't safe to put cash through the U.S. Mail that leaves the only other safe option of a check.
                  myself I end up with two slips - one for each account- if the need should ever arise.

Comment

Another ID horror story. I asked this woman for her drivers license and instead of saying, okay? She basically berates me telling me bullshit stories. That everyone here knows her, that I *MUST* be new ( No bitch, you are NEW to me and I am pretty sure she has NEVER seen my face) and that she can't believe this.
                    I wanted to say something so badly but I kept it to myself. Frankly, when she was yelling at me, I just kept my mouth shut. I didn't argue with her cause you know what, she is the one embarrassing herself and she is NOT going to bring me down to her childish level.

The thing that is FUNNY is that while she says that everyone knows her, NOBODY i repeat NOBODY said anything! Nobody told me, "she's okay, moonchild" but you know, they AGREED with me so I am so happy that they didn't say anything.

She was a bitch and I can't believe that anybody would KNOW her.

In my world, I would have shoved that check right back to her face and said, "ma'am, since you are giving me so damn grief about this, i will not be able to cash the check". She will ask why? " Cause only a person who gives a teller, cashier whatever THAT much grief over a damn ID has something to hide.

It makes me wonder if she will show her id to a police officer. I can imagine the convo

PO: Ma'am, may i see your id and registration please?"
                    SB: Why? Everyone in the police academy knows who i am!
                    PO: ma'am, license and registration.
                    SB: I can't believe this! I have been a citizen of this town for 30 years! I have never gotten a ticket in my life!
                    PO: Ma'am, if you don't give me your license, i will have to arrest you.
                    SB: You must be new cause everyone knows me!

BAM! In the slammer.

I am not upset cause one day, karma is going to bite her in the ass!

Comment

I love my bank. Eastern Bank (localish) has been so good to me, my local branch all know me well and are great people. They always put my paychecks in as "available" for me. ^.^

But... I don't do DD because I don't -want- to. Having to go cash my paychecks forces me to re-evaluate my financial situation every two weeks, and I very much like being in control of what percentage of my money winds up in my wallet vs. my account. I'm happy it does so much for other people but, yeah, I'd be annoyed if I was forced to do it; I like seeing how much I have, holding it in my hand, getting used to the idea of "I can put $xx in my gas tank, buy M that present, get that thing I wanted..." DD would throw off my routine a lot. Admittedly, it isn't an "important" or "critical" excuse to not have it, but yeah, I like things the way they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X