Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eh, it'll never catch on. (Newsweek article Re: internet)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eh, it'll never catch on. (Newsweek article Re: internet)

Apparently written in 1995
    "Even if there were a trustworthy way to send money over the Internet—which there isn't—the network is missing a most essential ingredient of capitalism: salespeople."-- sometimes, this is a good thing-- other times, that's why you have live chat and descriptive articles... although, some can attest that some fall through the cracks.
    One of the commenters made a good point: "Rob Harris
    Credit him with identifying the areas the web needed improvement. The web needed organizing and products and services filled the voids."
    It's awesome how far the internet has come. I was born before it took off, and it must be even stranger for those born around 1990 and after...
    I remember sending email to my dad in South Korea via some sort of DOS program...
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
    "Even if there were a trustworthy way to send money over the Internet—which there isn't—the network is missing a most essential ingredient of capitalism: salespeople."
    Apparently Newsweek hadn't heard of the Sears or JCPenny or any other catalog back then.
    To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
    my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

Well, this whole computer thing is just a passing fad...
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Interesting who the author is. I loved his book "The Cuckoo's Egg" and I'm quite surprised that he was as pessimistic about the possibilities of the internet as this article says.
        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
        X