Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My boss says we should be thanking our customers profusely for shopping here.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My boss says we should be thanking our customers profusely for shopping here.

She's used that actual phrase before. And yet, in the short half hour I've been shoppingon my store, I've seen a used diaper in the cosmetics racks and discovered that some SC has opened up makeup and sampled it. We don't get credit for those kind of defectives. We lose money. Yeah, let me thank you profusely for taking money out of my pocket, since payroll is based directly on sales.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    And yet, in the short half hour I've been shoppingon my store, I've seen a used diaper in the cosmetics racks
    Yikes.

I was there earlier tonight but ventured nowhere near the makeup.

Damn. If I did I'd have something to submit to Piggy People.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I bought a mascara anyway, but it wasn't by the diaper.

Comment

Please, sir, may I have some more?

Has your boss not been in retail long? Or have they simply sampled the kool-aid one too many times?
        What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

To be called a customer would actually involve buying something, which the sampler didn't. Does that mean you can tell off any non-customers?
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            Does that mean you can tell off any non-customers?
            That's what I was thinking. BTW your avie is funny and cute.
            ......../\
            ....../__\
            ..../\...../\
            ../__\../__\

Comment

Wait, payroll is based on sales... commission type thing?

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
                Wait, payroll is based on sales... commission type thing?
                I believe what the OP means is that the number of labour hours that corporate allows for in each store's budget is based on sales, so if sales are down (or profits are down because there aren't enough employees on the floor to catch and stop SCs destroying the merchandise), fewer hours are available for the manager to distribute in the schedule, so each employee gets fewer hours, and therefore less pay.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Exactly what wolfie said. And it's based on our store's sales, not those of the company as a whole. Makes no sense to me. Also, I have confronted non-customers several times, but this time I just wanted to get my stuff and go home. One time I confronted some girls spraying the perfumes and they had eyes as wide as saucers as I pointed out they were lucky I didn't have allergies to said products, and hopefully no one else would end up in the ER, and also that the product now couldn't be sold, which to me was tantamount to stealing.
                  Last edited by Food Lady; 02-28-2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    I believe what the OP means is that the number of labour hours that corporate allows for in each store's budget is based on sales, so if sales are down (or profits are down because there aren't enough employees on the floor to catch and stop SCs destroying the merchandise), fewer hours are available for the manager to distribute in the schedule, so each employee gets fewer hours, and therefore less pay.
                    That's what we deal with at the Litter Box every week . . . and one of the results has been with our inventories getting worse (b/c we don't have the LP guys coming by more regularly to wander the store and watch for shoplifters, for one thing) so we end up losing more money all the way around.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

hmm, the next time this sup pipes up with that line and there's garbage (or the aforementioned diaper) hanging around, show her the mess and ask her, "are you sure about that??"
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                        That's what we deal with at the Litter Box every week . . . and one of the results has been with our inventories getting worse (b/c we don't have the LP guys coming by more regularly to wander the store and watch for shoplifters, for one thing) so we end up losing more money all the way around.
                        Tis the downward spiral of retail... Too bad most execs don't care that they are dooming the store to worse and worse profits by doing so. When I worked at C-Store, they actually let me run case studies, and if I showed that adding payroll increased profits, they would give it to me. You bet those workers were highly motivated to prove all my case studies right.

At grocery store, they kept cutting and cutting until there was only 1 manager, 1 cashier, and 1 clerk covering meat and produce. They store is only still open now because they are waiting for the city to buy the property to put in an overpass and its worth a lot more occupied.

Comment

Then I guess I was wrong years ago for thanking people at Publix that would come in, open a bag of potato chips or cookies, sample a few, then roll the bag back up and stick it on the shelves. Or years ago when the deli sold fountain soft drinks, and the customers would shop in the store, drinking away, then stick the empty cups on a shelf before checking out, in essence getting a free drink.

Man, was I wrong not to thank these people, oh, I mean, thieves, for shopping at my Publix. Come back and see us again soon!

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                            Man, was I wrong not to thank these people, oh, I mean, thieves, for shopping at my Publix. Come back and see us again soon!
                            yupo same thing here with my pizza place. all those free scam pizzas we give away, all of that stuff we throw away cause it is NOT perfect or is just one minute past its expiration time (no I am not kidding), me chucking all of the "in aticipation of the zombie appocolips" ordering the GM does, all of that overtime (which I do enjoy) which could be avoided by having some standing around "got my thumb up my ass" cook do dishes AND take out trash so the closers do not have to, etc.
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                            X