Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL no. You whack the F keys and make note of which F key is a Boot Sequence key, which F key is for Settings (bios) and if there are any other F keys which might be important.

Like I said, trial run.
    Find the F key that boots via the CD.
    Poke around in there; I think upthread there is a step by step to find that folder you need.
    Don't CHANGE anything, just get comfortable on how to maneuver via keys - up down arrow? Not all tech CDs have the same Select This Menu, Move down In Menu, Get the Thing You Want. Just fool around; look at the menus, look IN the menus. Test drive in neutral. Make sense?
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Makes perfect sense. I'm writing all this down for the test run.

Comment

EEEEEEEEEEEK!

Good God!

I turned on my computer, had everything up and running, and then it all disappeared, to be replaced by this text on a black screen:

***Hardware Malfunction
        NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error
        *** The system has halted ***

I freaked. The computer wouldn't turn off, so I unplugged it, waited a few minutes, then plugged it in and started it. THIS time, everything was okay. I hope that the problem was just that I was charging my iPod, and I plugged it in before Windows had started fully.

Anyway. I took this opportunity to hit F9 as the computer was starting up; F9 is the boot key. It asked me where I wanted to boot from, and I chose CD, having put said CD in already.

This is what I got:

Ultimate Boot CD V5.1.1
        BIOS
        CPU
        HDD
        Memory
        Others
        Peripherals
        System
        Parted Magic V6.6 - Press F1 for more information
        UBCD FreeDOS R1.44 (Based on NwDsk V3.40)
        User-defined

Boot next device
        Reboot

CRUB4DOS menu

So - what's next?

Comment

Ack.

Certain types of system crashes can cause a parity error by turning off the RAM refresh, but it's also potentially a hardware problem; and using the machine with bad RAM can cause file corruption.

I strongly recommend downloading, burning and using Memtest: http://www.memtest.org/

Comment

Which download do I use? There are several.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
              Which download do I use? There are several.
              Memtest is also under the memory section of the Ultimate Boot CD. Several versions - I used the 4.20+ version)
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I haven't used it yet - DerCute has been holding my hand through this, so I've been waiting for another post.

Comment

It happened again!

I turned on my computer, Windows started up - and then I got the "Hardware Malfunction" screen.

So, unplug the computer, wait a few minutes, plug it in, start it, it tells me Windows didn't shut down last time, etc.

After seeing the options, and attempting to start in Repair Mode, it told me it couldn't fix whatever the problem was, so I chose System Restore. As you can see, it's working now. I found it interesting that it told me to unplug any music devices before restarting - is my iPod what caused this problem in the first place?

Comment

All is well today.

Comment

When I boot, I do NOT have my iPod plugged in. Because some BIOS sets will have a boot section/possiblity for USB boot. And, well, iPod..usb.

So.
                      Unplug anything that's not needed. You need monitor, mouse, kbd, sanity. Boot to CD. Find the mem test in there. Realize if you do a thorough test it's gonna take a few hours (overnight). Find something to do.
                      A different thing to do would be remove one stick of RAM, reboot, (NO iPOD!) and see if you crash. If it's ok, try the other stick. Hm. They both work? Hm. Definitely test RAM.
                      But before we get all hardware-y, go check your event log, please.Evevent viewer, Windows logs, system logs. Dig in there for the most recent error (you remember, yesterday oh shit screen? Guestimate time, you might find the error.) Find that error number. Google it.
                      Or tell us. Like Error 07968768 - vague description Microsoft KB 03489384789r7934094 kind of shit.
                      Dig there, we can see if it's the iPod, or something else the PC knows that we don't, and still do that RAM test.
                      I'd say Event Viewer, pull that for us. We have your specs up thread. Run RAM test if you're lazy. Watch all of Star Wars. It's that long.
                      Keep us posted?
                      And sorry I took so long.
                      Oh, btw, you're doing ok w/ the machine today? Driving feels same, no change? Possibly iPod but look deeper

Comment

Oh. You booted to the CD, got there? YAY F9 then. After you've done the above, get to CD...boot, F9, get in...and Memory menu is where you want to go. Find the app called MemTest, it's on that cd.
                        Probably highlight it, hit enter? (really low level graphics LOL) and start it up. You can try a quick test. Won't take as long, but it's up to you

Comment

Okay, I've found a whole slew of "Error" messages on Event Viewer from July 4, the day I turned on the computer with the iPod plugged in. I'm convinced that was the problem - the computer started downloading driver software, and then it crashed; an online search later revealed that this often happens with iPods.

Here's one error message: "Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for ."

After that: "The DHCP Client service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error:
                          A device attached to the system is not functioning."

Then: "The DNS Client service depends on the NetIO Legacy TDI Support Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

And: "The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error:

Further: "The Network Store Interface Service service depends on the NSI proxy service driver. service which failed to start because of the following error:

Yeah, that's the long and short of it, for now.

But then, there is this one:

"The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
                          AFD
                          avipbb
                          avkmgr
                          CSC
                          DfsC
                          discache
                          NetBIOS
                          NetBT
                          nsiproxy
                          Psched
                          rdbss
                          spldr
                          sptd
                          ssmdrv
                          tdx
                          vwififlt
                          Wanarpv6
                          WfpLwf"

Since the mem test takes so long, I think I'll do it tonight (overnight).
                          In the meantime, what else?

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post

But then, there is this one:

"The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
                            AFD
                            avipbb
                            avkmgr
                            CSC
                            DfsC
                            discache
                            NetBIOS
                            NetBT
                            nsiproxy
                            Psched
                            rdbss
                            spldr
                            sptd
                            ssmdrv
                            tdx
                            vwififlt
                            Wanarpv6
                            WfpLwf"

Since the mem test takes so long, I think I'll do it tonight (overnight).
                            In the meantime, what else?
                            Woot woot we figgerd it's the iPod. And do you feel comfortable digging in the Event Viewer now? (btw you can use the columns at the top to sort by date, error/instance/good, all that stuff)
                            Ok, looking at the av*** it's an anti virus. The other stuff: pretty important parts of a startup. BUT if that event viewer issue has not happened SINCE that dates's error, I think it is fine. Was that issue ^ there on a day you booted w/ iPod?
                            Hm.
                            Ok, boot into CD and run the Memtest overnight. It's like watching water evaporate. It's THAT interesting. Yeah. But do keep in mind, that we found the iPod being an issue with the boot/mem stuff. Try the quick kind of memtest. Should be one in there (god I'm using my picture memory to mentally navigate that menu).
                            Let's see how that goes. Keep Le iPod off machine for now - only have it connected after a great boot up and the PC is happily running. (please)
                            Let us know!
                            and I'm touched that you're letting me do this with you - Barcode has helped a lot! but you've picked me awwww

Comment

No offense to barcode! None! None whatsoever! At all!

Really!

I'd love to get online with both of you, on my laptop, and run diagnostics on this computer - if my laptop worked, which it isn't doing too well. Plus, I think it has a broken fan, because it runs hot. Not to mention that the hard drive is a whopping 512 MB.

Comment

FYI THIS IS A LECTURE/READING MATERIAL NOT TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS WE HAVE BEEN DOING

Wow. I found an article about a BIOS. Would you like the link? http://bit.ly/NdgUFi
                                That's a good way to explain what a BIOS does. The pic probably won't match your BIOS pic. Try this page here to see if your BIOS looks more like this pic. bit.ly/mQIklM Notice there is a boot order in there.

And now to confuse you even MORE! There are multiple ways to tell the puter what to boot from. The first, most fundamental one is the BIOS. You change the order in THAT, and it's pretty damn well set up. In puters older than yours, that WAS the ONLY way to tell puter how to boot. Just think Soup Nazi. NO BOOT FOR YOU! lol

Now, recently, puters are booting up most of the way, then showing you a black screen with white text asking you what to boot from. This is kind of easier, because if you've got a solid setup and don't want to fuck with it, a person can kind of cheat and say "oh, hey, let's boot from CD right now, not Hard Drive. hehe we cheat!" Fuck, I can't find a picture. It'll be white text and you just pick a number and the puter will boot from that. it is TEMPORARY. Next time you power down and reboot, it shouldn't ask. Hey Barcode, help!

So what I do, personal preference is to make sure the BIOS has this setup: Hard Drive. CD Rom. USB. Just those 3 for me, I don't need more. Because when the power's up, the puter just grabs the hard drive and ignores everything else. This way I don't fuck with it, I can go get a soda, whatever.
                                Previously, a few years ago, I would manually go in and change from Hard Drive / CD/USB to CD/Hard Drive. That way when I was futzing around with troubleshooting and stuff, I could trust the machine to grab the CD. And I could go get my soda. Then after I was all done doing what I did, I'd go back to the BIOS and change it back to Hard Drive/ CD/ USB. This way I could trust it, and go get my soda.

You have choices here. It is up to you. I'm not sure exactly how you've been grabbing the CD (maybe you changed BIOS or did the cheat thing lol) but whatever you're doing is great.

Did ya know that in previous (think P3's P4's times) you had a POS BIOS and really didn't have many choices? It was Floppy Drive. CD. CD. Hard Drive. Hard Drive (remember back then we had 2 of each, many of us did) and no USB boot. Dalesys can remember another boot thing, it's older than floppies, I forget. Hey Dalesys, wasn't it a raindance we used to do to get it to boot? :P Now it's all shiny and bells and whistles, we can boot from a lot more hardware choices than we used to have. I'm thankful.

Back to the previous troubleshooting stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X