This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yelp needs a crazy filter.

Last week a woman comes in with an 1888, eight volume Shakespeare (He is Kenneth Branagh's screenwriter) set. This is nothing special. The late eighteen hundreds is when they started making wood pulp paper and books dropped in price and consequently pretty common and, consequently, not very valuable now. These were otherwise kind of nice, marbled boards, leather spines that were still in pretty good shape for their age, and leather corners-what we call 'decorator' books.

As I was examining them, checking out the engravings and the tissue paper that was bound with them, I found a loose bit of paper that someone had used as a bookmark at some time. I pulled it out and tossed it aside.

I figured we could sell them for U$100 so I offered her U$35. She rejected the offer, claiming that she paid more than that at the estate sale. Sorry lady, you didn't find a hidden treasure, but they're still pretty.

About 20 minutes after she leaves she comes in demanding the 'parchment' that I took out of her book. So I picked up the bit of paper I tossed aside earlier and handed it to her. She freaked, screaming about the 'parchment'. Now, I've never handled or even seen real parchment in my life. and told her so. She storm out claiming that she is going to call the cops.

She later calls making the same claims, still claiming to call the cops. I don't know if it was an empty threat or if she did call and they laughed at her. Whatever, I blew her off.

I get a call from my co-worker the next day and he tells me that she told her story of Yelp, and of course left us a one star.--bitch.

I just hope that people are smart enough to look at a users other comments before considering them. She one starred everybody she has dealt with.

Lune probably thinks any old paper is parchment and anything older than her is a priceless antique.

Comment

People are definitely smart enough to read the reviews rather than just looking at the star ratings, for the most part. Her story sounds like a bit of BS that she should have posted to PFB rather than Yelp. I think it'll be fine.

Comment

But... but... what was on the parchment?!?!?
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Comechatcha View Post
          Lune probably thinks any old paper is parchment and anything older than her is a priceless antique.
          Mrs. TGK's ex was that way. Of the 'valuable antiques' she kept in her divorce, I did get an appraisal: less than $500 total. We ended up donating them to the local humane society.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I don't think you need to worry - most sane folk take all reviews with a grain of salt. I generally look at the negs before paying attention to them because I like to get a feel for whether they are sensible or not. For instance, when I was shopping for a digital photo frame, one of the negs effectively said that it wasn't a very good alternative to a tablet for watching videos. Gee, you think?

So yea, normal people will see the crazy and write it off.
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Juggler View Post
              Last week a woman comes in with an 1888, eight volume Shakespeare (He is Kenneth Branagh's screenwriter) set.
              Yeah i loved Will's screenplay for Thor.

Comment

What the hell was her problem? She got the paper back. What, she was mad that you touched it? Honestly, where do these nuts come from.....
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

At least now you have NastyClient.com on your side:

http://consumerist.com/2013/01/14/la...bad-customers/

Comment

Can you make a reply to her review? I've seen a lot of businesses do that - one even called out a reviewer who apparently had a habit of leaving 1 star reviews.

Comment

You probably hid the real parchment, a letter in code from Arne Sagnussem .

Comment

The thing about leaving a bad review or making a complaint to the BBB is the overwhelming majority of customers don't check... unless they're also making a similar complaint.

'I'm never gonna do business here again, and everyone after me who also gets pissed off enough to complain will know why...except that the overwhelming majority of them wont bother to read past reviews either. Take that!"
                        Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                          You probably hid the real parchment, a letter in code from Arne Sagnussem .
                          Did it look like this? | | |
                          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Yelp does have a filter. I found that out when I posted a mixed review on a restaurant (mediocre Mexican food at best but their "Gringo Burger" is the best cheeseburger in town!). I happened to be on Yelp and looked at that restaurant but my review was not to be found...until I saw a thing that said something like, "Some Reviews Have Been Filtered - To View Filtered Reviews Click Here", and sure enough my review and a half dozen others, both good and bad, had been hidden and not included in the rating calculations.

They never gave any reason why some reviews were not considered and I saw no consistency in what they accepted and did not accept so I figured there's no real point in submitting reviews to Yelp anymore.
                            You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Makes me pretty glad that where I live no one cares one little bit about internet reviews. Not that there generally are any, but I digress.

Comment

Working...
                              X