Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Have My Permission, To Grow a Brain!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Have My Permission, To Grow a Brain!

Apparently, there's a business in town here that has grown a bit too large for it's designated parking lot and the customers there frequently have shown up to find all the stalls occupied.

The businesses' solution has apparently been to tell their customers to park in the lot across the street. One minor problem with that. They DO NOT OWN that lot and have no AUTHORITY over it. That lot and the 5 story building on it belong to a totally different entity than the one that owns their side of the street. Apparently, this has been going on for some time unnoticed. It wasn't a problem I was aware of because the peak busy times for this place usually are after 5pm, long after the office has emptied out for the day. Meaning there was nobody around said office to notice that a whole bunch of people were claim-jumping their property at night.

You don't need spider sense to see where this is going, heck, horse sense would probably be sufficient to predict that one day, this cheerful arrangement would end in Shakespearean tragedy.

One of the customers for said business parked in the office lot.... before 5pm, were noticed, and ordered towed out.

No points for guessing that I simply could not, despite my best efforts, make it clear to said person that they COULD NOT park on SOMEONE ELSE'S PRIVATE PROPERTY without their permission, even if someone else, ESPECIALLY SOMEONE WHO WASN'T THE PROPERTY OWNER said they could.

"They told me I could park there!" She moaned

"That isn't their property, they don't have the authority to do that, it's the same as if I told someone else it was okay to park in your driveway, I can't do that" I replied

And around and around and around we went, she was SURE the problem was that I just didn't understand that SHE HAD PERMISSION!

And then, when I thought she finally got it and hung up, then, her DAD called me

(Sidenote, when the aliens I've secretly been contacting on my dental fillings finally arrive here and sublimate the world governments, putting me in charge, the first order of business I'm going to get out of the way is NO MORE DESIGNATED HITTER in baseball! The second issue? ANyone who's response to getting fined is to sic their Mom or Dad on me will have said fine summarily TRIPLED! But I digress.)

And I couldn't get it through to HIM either.

"They told her she could park there!" he moaned

"They have no authority to do that, they don't own that lot, it's the same as if I gave permission for people to park at your house, I can't do that" I replied

And around and around we went, right round, like a record baby, right round round round.........

He eventually hung up too, declaring his intention to call the owners of said office building up and have it out with them over just who they thought they were, towing his widdle angelkins off of THEIR property when she HAD PERMSSION! Oh, and for the icing on the cake, he suggested that maybe, just maybe, his precious WAS indeed told not to park on that side, but might have "misheard" or "didn't understand" the instructions because she has a "audio disability" (his words, not mine). He seemed rather crushed when I informed him that was irrelevant, since the lot is signed "Private" anyway. (Further sidenote, neither on the phone, or when she came in to pick up the car, did this young lady seem to have any trouble hearing or understanding me, even in a small office full of ringing phones, yapping technicians and rapidly-plummeting patience levels behind the counter).

It is important to note, that at no time did either of these people raise their voices, cuss, interrupt or get cross with me. They were actually very polite. THey just couldn't understand that people who don't own a given piece of property are, well, not in control of said property. That's, the whole IDEA of private property.... one of the big tenants that this whole durn country was founded on........

*sigh* Where did natural selection go wrong? I'm weeping for my hypothetical kids again, and it's only Tuesday..... that's a depressing new record.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

If a business owner told me I could park in another lot, I would probably assume that that business owner was somehow associated with the other business, and therefore had the authority to give me permission to use the lot. But if I got towed, I would address my complaints to the business who told me I could park there, not the guy who towed me!
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Yeah, if someone pulled that excuse on me...

Them: "Well, So-and-so gave me permission to park in your driveway..."
      J2K: "That's nice. Move your car before I have it towed."
      Them: "But So-and-so gave me permission!"
      J2K: "And now you have MY permission to stop making excuses and start moving your car!"
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        *sigh* Where did natural selection go wrong? I'm weeping for my hypothetical kids again, and it's only Tuesday..... that's a depressing new record.
        So this was yesterday? Because today's Wednesday. :P

Comment

Ugh, you have my sympthies. These are the same people who say things like, "My friend told me you charge [X] for your [fill in product or service here.]" And I have to tell them their friend was wrong. Cue inability to understand. "But my friend said...." on and on and on....
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I know! Why do they choose to believe uninvolved 3rd parties over those actually INVOLVED?

Also, the whole concept of "prohibited" is lost on a large part of the population, they just don't understand that something, while physically possible, is NOT ALLOWED, and furthermore, the fact it's not allowed is independent of their opinion.

As if to drive that point home, once I hung up on these folks, it took longer than it should to explain to my next customer that we do not take checks for impounded cars.

"Do you take checks?"

Sorry, cash, credit or debit only, we don't take checks

"But I don't have a credit card!"

Sorry, we don't take checks

"But I only have checks!"

Sorry, we don't take checks

"But...."

Why do they try so durn hard?!
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I know! Why do they choose to believe uninvolved 3rd parties over those actually INVOLVED?

Also, the whole concept of "prohibited" is lost on a large part of the population, they just don't understand that something, while physically possible, is NOT ALLOWED, and furthermore, the fact it's not allowed is independent of their opinion.

Because they've always managed to moan and whine and scream and cajole and otherwise bully-badger their way into getting their way, prohibitions and rules and regulations be damned.

When they were kids, they screamed and whined and cried until Mummy and Daddy caved and gave them what they wanted.

In school, they managed to coast along in much the same fashion, since so many schools these days seem loathe to actually flunk anyone, and the same whining and moaning always got Mummy and Daddy to call the school and yell and scream at the faculty to change that barely-passing C into an A.

In the employment arena, once they got a job, they've been the same Sucky Co-Irkers we've all complained about, who do the bare minimum for their job (IF THAT) and manage to squeak by because that same attitude they've used all their lives kicks in and tells the managers that firing them will lead to lawsuits, and so they let them keep their jobs just to avoid making trouble.

In short-- it's always worked before, they have no reason to suspect it wouldn't work now.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                But if I got towed, I would address my complaints to the business who told me I could park there, not the guy who towed me!
                Exactly! Why didn't Princess and her Daddykins contact the idiot who told her to park there and rip him a new one? He's the one who deserved it!
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  Exactly! Why didn't Princess and her Daddykins contact the idiot who told her to park there and rip him a new one? He's the one who deserved it!
                  Put yourself in Her Highness' shoes-- who are you going to believe?

The person who catered to your whim, and gave you permission to park there...

...or the jerk* who towed your car and won't give it back without monetary compensation?

(* - Note that I am not calling Argabarga a jerk. I am merely phrasing things from the point of view of Princess. Now that I've temporarily channeled her way of thinking, I must go restore my sanity points. Booze, ahoy!)

Comment

I'm weeping for my hypothetical kids again, and it's only Tuesday..... that's a depressing new record.
                    ...But for me..? It was Tuesday.

Simple. They are used to parents/spineless managers who will eventually cave in just to get rid of them. They have come in with the horribly, horribly wrong supposition that you guys are the same. Pity.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Ugh, you have my sympthies. These are the same people who say things like, "My friend told me you charge [X] for your [fill in product or service here.]" And I have to tell them their friend was wrong. Cue inability to understand. "But my friend said...." on and on and on....
                      I get this all the time too. I work for a drugstore. We CLOSE at 10pm, EVERY dang day of the week. At least 5 or 6 times a week, someone comes running in at exactly 10pm, when we are locking the doors, with a prescription.

"Sorry we're closed." "You CAN'T be closed! THE HOSPITAL told me you are open 24 hours!!!!!!!" Yeah, well guess what, the hospital doesn't own us, and has been open even less time than we have (2 years). We were here first, and WE get to decide when we close, not the hospital

Of course, this cues the "But I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED" So sorry, there's a 24 hour pharmacy 15 miles away. "Well I'm not driving ALL that way!!" Then I guess you don't neeeeeeeeeeeed it that bad, I drive farther than that to come to work every day.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post

When they were kids, they screamed and whined and cried until Mummy and Daddy caved and gave them what they wanted.
                        Some years ago I worked with a lady who had separated from her husband and had a young daughter and son. When I first met her (before I worked with her) she gave both children whatever they wanted. When it was a completely outlandish demand from either child she would initially say "No" but after a short period would always give in and give them what they wanted.

The daughter was pregnant at 16, married to an idiot who was in jail soon after they were married and I have since lost touch with her.

The son had a number of jobs (including where I worked) and was sacked from all of them for laziness and being totally useless. He was actually sacked from where I worked 3 times and re-employed twice, every time he moaned and whined to his mother about how unfair it was that he got sacked and got his job back for the "last time".

His total attitude was that anything he didn't like he could just walk away and hide and not do it, even if it had to be done. As far as I know, he never improved and never got any job for any time after that.

That is what happens when you let kids scream and moan and give in to them.

Comment

Argabarga, does your boss not allow you to say something similar to:

"Since Business X told you to park there without authority to do so, and you feel you should be reimbursed, take it up with them."

Comment

"Do you take checks?"

Sorry, cash, credit or debit only, we don't take checks

"But I don't have a credit card!"

I don't know why people can't join the 21st Century already. When I first got my checking account when I was 16, I didn't trust myself with a debit card so they gave me a card that was pretty much just an ATM card. If someone had told me I couldn't write a check, I'd probably just have sucked it up and found the closest ATM, paid any fees, and gone on my way. Of course, that's the logical thing to do and we all know that most people don't think using logic.

Comment

If a business owner told me I could park in another lot, I would probably assume that that business owner was somehow associated with the other business, and therefore had the authority to give me permission to use the lot.
                              This makes sense. BUT, if I go and there are signs everywhere saying NO UNAUTHORIZED PARKING that's going to set off my hinky meter and I'm going to definitely start asking some hard questions.

But if I got towed, I would address my complaints to the business who told me I could park there, not the guy who towed me!
                              Quoth Dytchdoctir View Post
                              Argabarga, does your boss not allow you to say something similar to:

"Since Business X told you to park there without authority to do so, and you feel you should be reimbursed, take it up with them."
                              Exactly, if that fool gave people unauthorized permission then he's responsible for any and all bills.

And whoever actually owns the lot should have their lawyer call this fool and remind him that he _CANNOT_ give anyone permission to park on other people's property PERIOD!

Comment

Working...
                              X