Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crappy Day (a.k.a, what is it with Thursdays?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy Day (a.k.a, what is it with Thursdays?)

So, a little background. Several things have been stressing me out and making my life hard right now, but one of the biggest things has been the death of my beloved cat- she died 2 weeks ago in her sleep, at age 18, and we'd had her since 6 months. I am absolutely heartbroken and have been struggling. But my coworkers have been lovely.

However, I think the emotional state I'm in makes it harder for me to put up with bullshit right now.

My first 45 mins or so were ok until I was sent to the refund desk to assist my coworker, R. It was really busy, and she was due to have her 30 min lunch break, so they said to get the queue down, and then cover her lunch. Ok thats fine. We're both there for a little while getting the queue down, during which she gets a real dickhead customer- he seemed to be convinced he was smarter than her, that she was getting confused and being stupid and actually said to her "Well, if you had an Engineering degree like me, you'd understand!" The subject in question? Curtain poles

Anyway, she goes for her lunch, and I man the desk, and I'm doing mostly ok at first, but then it goes a bit manic. All stuff I can handle, but you got the phone ringing off the hook while I have some jackass asking me stupid questions, and other people just getting in the way, and I did get a tad frazzled. I'm dashing back and forth etc.

Then I get this guy trying to bring back some fence paint, claiming it looked "orange" on the fence (its clearly brown, its dripping down the sides) and that he should be allowed to get a new paint for free because he bought it at a staff member's recommendation. I called bullshit on it, but played it dumb and called a manager to just get some back up and confirmation that I couldn't refund (they are usually ok at backing you up, although some are spineless). I mean, it was clearly a case of "I just didn't like this colour".

I'm on the phone explaining to a manager, H (who is usually good at backing you up but it also sometimes a bit unhelpful) that I didn't think I could take it back because it didn't seem to be a fault, and the seals were cracked quite badly, to which the customer started raising his voice and having a go at me. I actually said the words "Will you just-!" to the customer and stopped myself. I was going to say "will you just let me speak to my manager, I cant hear him over you" but my tone was coming out very sharp because I was so exasperated. Fortunately for me, though, H heard everything, and said "Ok, just refund it, get rid of him." Ok, so its rewarding bad behaviour, but I reckon H decided it wasn't worth the hassle, and probably did me a favour.

By this point, R had been gone for an hour and a quarter. She came back from her lunch late, and then started going elsewhere, apparently on errands, taking items back and forth, but I suspected that she was also taking advantage of my presence and easy-going nature to go round and chat with people. I wouldn't have minded except that I had needed the toilet BEFORE I came down to refunds and I was bustin'. That and I could feel myself tearing up again because I was thinking about my cat (it had gone quiet again, no distractions). I called up my supervisor to ask if she knew where R was- she was hanging around the checkouts (where I was supposed to be!) chatting, so she sent her up.

I hovvered by the gate doing the wanna-pee-shuffle, and some customers came up to the desk- I could see R only a few yards away and told them she was coming so I could go pee, and she would be with them in less than a minute. As she approached, I shuffled past saying "There are some customers waiting, but I couldn't wait any longer!" At this point, the customers would have been waiting 10 seconds, and she was 5 seconds away from the gate, but still called back to me in an incredulous you-can't-do-that tone "You just LEFT them there?!"

Cue me muttering angry things to myself like "you fucked off for an hour and a quarter and I need to piss, what the fuck am I spose to do!?" I don't usually get annoyed with R, but I think my tolerance levels crashed today. And then as I was going towards the loos, I felt the tell-tale signs of "gonna cry". I felt so dumb, but the truth is, I just felt overwhelmed. Between mental images of my cat curled up peacefully asleep forever in my arms, R telling on me and getting me in trouble and the customers being jerks, I was just overwhelmed (although usually it wouldn't upset much if at all). By the time I was in a cubicle, I was crying.

I felt like such a jackass. I cleaned up my face as best I could (can't believe what minimal touch-up my makeup needed afterwards, usually looks awful when i cry!), then headed back to the checkouts (I had no intention of letting R doss around for the next hour until the end of her shift). I was actually due my own break now, and decided I would politely ask if I could go to calm down. Before I even said anything, my supervisor saw my face and said "Rabbit, are you alright?" She let me go for break, said I could have a chat if I wanted- I don't want anyone to think I can't be relied on to work properly or am taking the mick or something, so i declined, and to be honest, just sitting down, having something to eat and drink in peace and fixing my makeup was enough. I felt loads better when I came back. R clearly hasn't said anything, and nobody even bought it up. Which i'm grateful for, I have a feeling I'm going to remain emotional for a while, but it doesn't mean I'm going to let it impact my work.

I guess it was all stupid stuff, but it all got on top of me. The mania I was left to deal with alone, R taking the mick and being funny with me, the rude customers...just a bit much to handle at the second.

Bonuses

A Real Class Act
    I had to laugh at this one- this woman was just such a snobby, stuck up bitch. One of those ones who refuses to lift anything out of the cart onto the counter, because she's too good for that. One of those ones who demands a plastic carrier bag, but doesn't say please or thank you. She clearly thought she was better people than everyone else, including a lowly cashier like me.

She was doing her decor shopping in PJ bottoms and slippers. SOO classy.

I just amused myself by sticking my nose up in the air and acting a bit stuck up in a very-polite manner :3

Black and White are Different Colours...
    Another one I called bullshit on at refunds. Customer comes back with specially mixed Dulux (unless we fuck up the mix, specially mixed paints are non-refundable) in a colour not far off from white, sort of a vanilla-cream colour, complaining that it was coming up in loads of different patchy colours on the walls and that his wife was "in tears" over it. I doubted we could do much, but called the decor manager, J, to get back up on that. You see, I actually sent this jackass to the paint desk first and they told him no dice, and he came back to me demanding a refund anyway. So I have J on the phone, and its this little bit that makes me realise just how much bullshit this was.

(J said he was trying hard not to laugh when he heard this)
    Customer: (in the background) IT COMES UP WHITE IN ONE SPOT AND BLACK IN ANOTHER!
    Me: ...WHAT!?:eek:

The "what?!" on my part was at how crap his lie was! It so clearly is never going to come up black when it is "vanilla dawn" or some such off-white colour! XD He was clearly over-exaggerating to make his bullshit story sound plausible, but it just made it worse

In the end, he even admitted to me and J that he'd only been painting 2 hours before, and we said as it wasn't even dry, of course the colour would be patchy! But he still kept demanding a new colour for free or a refund, so it was obvious that he just changed his mind about it (also, he brought no photographic evidence or anything to show how "black and white" his walls were!).

Nope. Refund denied!

I needs some chocolate ^^;;

*hugs* hun. Its horrible losing a pet and you do seem to have some nastys to deal with at the moment.
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

So sorry for the loss of your cat. The only consilation is that she went peacefully in her sleep and did not suffer at all. She's in a better place now. Cherish the memories you had with her.

Comment

18 years! That's a good run, you must be one heck of a "mom." I'm sure you know, but it bears repeating, that the pain lessens with time.

And just about everybody can get worn down by too much piled on too much, sounds like you've already got a good attitude in hand, and glad you have somewhere to vent.

Black and white paint boy? Glad this time the MoD refused. I'd be inclined to think 'poor wall prep' before I'd believe 'multi-coloured paint'

Comment

I'm so sorry about your kitty.... *hugs if you want them.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat *hands you Chocolate Orange volcano pudding*.

Comment

So sorry to hear about your kitty.

And your paint customers are delusional.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

My deepest sympathies on the loss of your kitty. No one can take away the memories or the love.

Sorry you had to deal with all that crap on top of losing your kitty.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit View Post
                  I needs some chocolate ^^;;
                  Yes, you do. You deserve some very high-quality chocolate for all that crap you put up with, on top of losing your beloved furry friend.

Give R the Salmon Special from me.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Sorry about your kitty. =^..^=
                    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Sorry about your kitty, and have your customers been inhaling paint fumes?
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

That 's gotta be it!
                        Sorry about your kitty.
                        Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
                        It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
                          There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
                          There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
                          The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

RIP, Kitty
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                            Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
                            huh. (sniff, sniff). Allergies seem to be acting up.

Seriously, that's a nice piece, I'm saving it now, thanks.

Comment

May your cat enjoy many happy years beyond the Rainbow Bridge, and run and play and have fun.

And then, eventually, may her heart be filled with joy when you rejoin her.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X