This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth PepperElf View Post
    If he did the best response is "and that's why my prices are this. With the economy the way it is prices are INCREASING not decreasing."

and at offering to raise prices on him for being a jerk.
    LOL I was just going to say that. The line about the economy can go both ways..just sayin

Comment

I support the notion of raising your price if he contacts you again. "Yes sir, my previous quote was $35. That was before you insulted me. I have decided that I don't really want the job. The additional amount is what it will take to make me change my mind."

Then, every time he complains, raise the price by $5 or so. "I can keep this up all day, sir."
      I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
        Completely off topic but my autocorrect changes your name to werepig.
        So, the coffee went flying after I read that.......

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          "Cost of turning screw, $0.01. Cost of knowing which screw needs turned, $499.99"
          Or in the computer industry, button to push.

Quoth Seshat View Post
          Don't tell them how long it takes you. He has no need to know that.
          Yeah, and that's the top of the slippery slope of "It shouldn't/Why does it/ take that long."
          Seraph's already wasted too much time on this bozo.

In the back of my mind is Seraph agreeing:

"Sure, I'll send you ten dollars worth of pop-up."
          And then sending the bare-bones code for one, sans graphics or text.

Comment

"What can I get for $10?"

How about a resounding F*** You and a block? That work for you? Works fine for me...
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
              "What can I get for $10?"
              He gets this!

Comment

$10 for that! That's being generous as the words are correctly spelled too! haha
                Last edited by MadMike; 03-23-2013, 02:12 AM. Reason: Did you have to quote the damn image???

Comment

I laughed so hard I woke up the dog and now he's glaring at me.
                  Last edited by MadMike; 03-23-2013, 02:12 AM. Reason: Did you have to quote the damn image???

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    He gets this!
                    I laughed so hard my ribs are STILL hurting, that was simply beautiful.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    Don't tell them how long it takes you. He has no need to know that.

Also, your price includes materials, depreciation on equipment, administrative costs, and a whole lot of extras. Ten dollars for an ad would probably COST you to produce it.
                    Exactly, as I keep telling my clients, its not the time, it's the cost of all the experience, and what I have to pay for in expenses.
                    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Did he try again?

Comment

Nah, haven't heard back from him, and I probably won't, lol.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                          Exactly, as I keep telling my clients, its not the time, it's the cost of all the experience, and what I have to pay for in expenses.
                          Can't forget the PITA fee for this likes of this , can we?
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                            Seraph's nice original post...
                            To tell you the truth, Seraph, I think you're absolutely right, here. I do think it's very generous of you to price it at $35 an hour. I've seen $50/hour, but not $35. If you did that full-time, that would net you almost $73,000 a year. That's a good living.

I think that's very, very reasonable as far as pricing goes.

I don't think the guy understands what kind of talent and skill goes into something like that. If he thinks it's easy, and wants to pay $10 for it, let him open up Paint and try to make his own darn banner! OR heck, let him try to go online and find standard, royalty-free imagery...he won't be able to do it.

And yeah, you're absolutely right that the $10 is insulting.

I'd considered doing something like this on the side, myself, but I don't know how I'd handle the haggling other than "this is the price...take it or leave it."
                            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                              There is a fine line, though.

If I were commissioning for a graphic, I would certainly want the artist/designer to take their time with it. But I think it's reasonable not to have to wait an insane amount of time to get it, either.

That said, you sound like a responsible person who would say, "Ok, I'm a little busy right now, this will take me about 3 hours to do, and you'll get it in 2 weeks because I have other orders ahead of yours."
                              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

There's a difference though, between "How long is the turnaround for this project?" and "How long will it take you to make this item, because that's how I'm going to base your pay."

Comment

Working...
                                X