This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paws OFF, Lady!

I work security at an apartment building full of seniors. A good many of them are pretty cool, one even gave me a quick intro to Arabic writing.
    Most of the tenants are pretty cool, there's a few I'm wary of though, because of their predilection for gossip or drama.

Well, last night another one made my shit list. You see, we're allowed to read, sketch, or write between rounds (no electronic stuff though- laptops and DVD players are out), so I bring my sketchbook, and reference pics for whatever I'm working on at the time. So last night I was sitting in the office right off the building lobby, and had gotten my desk set up for the night. Sketchbook on one side, our report sheets on the other, and the newspaper I was reading.

One tenant comes in, walks into my office, and starts talking at me. No, she didn't have a security concern, she just wanted to talk at me. Partway though this, she reached over my desk, and without so much as a "May I?", grabbed one of the pics sitting on top of my sketchbook. And she was not in any way gentle- she grabbed it in such a manner that she almost bent it double, and was creasing the paper. I do confess, my response wasn't the most diplomatic.
    "Stop that, you're manhandling it!"
    She made a catbutt face at me and said something I couldn't make out. She seemed quite put out that I would take offense at her hamhanded grabbiness.

So she's offended? Tough! The things on my desk aren't for other people to grab at, whether it's our paperwork (not intended for the eyes of tenants), building property, or our own stuff. Seriously, what made her think it was okay to just grab and manhandle somebody else's belongings like that?

I probably would've reacted the same way. Few things bother me more than people just snatching up my stuff without asking. Hell, even when asked, I prefer to hand people whatever it is of mine they want to see so it doesn't get damaged.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Seconded on reacting the same way.

People tend to think that just because you're an artist (be it visual or literary) that you want them to snatch yourself and look at it. I was gobsmacked one time when someone argued that I should let them read my (very, very, very rough draft) of a story because "As a writer {artist} you're an attention whore so you should WANT me to see your stuff."

Or it's just that people think that just because you're there it's totally okay for them to snatch at your stuff.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

And when you get offended, they act as if it's all your fault. "You shouldn't have it out, then!" or "You value stuff over people" or some such horsedook.

Comment

Its quite the reverse with artists. You grab something off my desk I'll be annoyed, sure. But if you snatch my sketch book I'll cut a bitch. ;p

Comment

"you shouldn't have it out then" - i bed they'd be crying a different line if it was their items

Comment

Yeah, I got that a few years ago- a friend and I attended a local fireworks display in costume, and some teenager ran over the hem of my Jedi cloak with her stroller, and proceeded to have a hissy fit when I said something like "Oh hey!" to get the attention of whatever was weighing it down. (It must have slipped down off my shoulders enough to drag on the ground a bit).

She freaked, saying that if I didn't want anything to happen to it, then I shouldn't have it out. Oh how I wished for somebody to toss a bottle of bright red cream soda all over that skimpy little white shirt she was wearing. "Oh, your shirt's stained? Sucks to be you, you shouldn't have had it out!"

I also got it on another security site- I was working at a grocery store under renovation, sitting in the closed off area being worked on. 12 hours just sitting there. So I brought things to help pass the time, contained in a duffel bag along with my work gear. One night, one of the workers got a little too close to my space, driving some sort of small forklift like an idiot, banging into things everywhere. I barely had enough time to get out of the way, let alone move my gear. Yes, I said something. "Hey watch it, my stuff's there!" One of the electricians got all bitchy, saying I shouldn't have any personal effects at all. My answer? "Excuse me, I sit here in one spot for 12 hours, am I supposed to stare off into space?"

Comment

yeah that's just a copout to excuse themselves of bad behavior.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  "you shouldn't have it out then" - i bed they'd be crying a different line if it was their items
                  Exactly. I'd love to see how these people would react if someone started grabbing at *their* stuff.
                  "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

"you shouldn't have it out then"
                    Shall I channel Sheldonrs with this one?
                    "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

Do it! Seriously

Comment

"Stop laughing at my extreamely small manhood!"

"you shouldn't have it out then"
                        ......../\
                        ....../__\
                        ..../\...../\
                        ../__\../__\

Comment

Talk about unzipping your fly*

*A line I've been wantonly stealing from The Hunt for Red October.

Comment

Because it's out on the counter, SURELY you wanted people to just grab it and take a look! *unpushes sarcasm button*
                            Never stand between a computer technician and their morning coffee.

Comment

Quoth ComputerWrestler View Post
                              Because it's out on the counter, SURELY you wanted people to just grab it and take a look! *unpushes sarcasm button*
                              That's because they cannot believe something that small exists.

All behold the power of microtechnology . . .or is that microbiology?
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X