This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales From Department 5 vol. 2

Wow. I have not posted in here for YEARS. And there is SO MUCH to vent about.

I can't be bothered to ask for help!!

This was about 2 to 2.5 years ago. Pretty busy Saturday at Wal-Shart, but most customers either don't want help or don't need help. So I get into a conversation with a few coworkers. Not really something I should be doing, but I'm also keeping an eye out for shoplifters/customers.

My thoughts in italics

All of a sudden, from about 10 feet a way:
    SC: "Are you gonna ask if I need help or just let me wander around like an idiot?!?!"

I turn around and see a man with a face that has the texture of a summer squash. Not red in the face angry, but almost there.

Me: But you seem to be so good at it "Sorry about that. What do you need help finding?"

SC: "Shit Talk $45 cards!!"

Me: *Moving over to our prepaid phone aisle* "Well we have two displays.One over-

SC: "THAT ONE'S EMPTY!!"

Me: *Doing my best to be frustratingly casual* "Then we also have this one over here." *Leads him to the very large display with BRIGHT GREEN signs on either side*

CS takes card and stomps off. Later I went to the first "empty" display to find that the $45 card spot just had a single $30 card in the front. Surely no one has ever put a card in the wrong spot! Such is lunacy! This large Stack of cards on this hook under the $45 price tag must ALL be $30!!!

Like, reading is hard

This is a more recent tale of customer idiocy, and my own sarcasm.
    I return to me department after examining a serial number on a returned television (Because Customer Service Associates learn to read after they get the job) to find two sophomore or junior aged high school girls waiting at the counter.

Me: "Hi.. How can I help you?"

DG (Dumb Girls): "Yeah, we got this Shit Talk phone and card and haven't activated it." *Shows me phone, card, and the instructions for activation*

Me: Really? They couldn't possibly be this dense, right? Is there something wrong with it?

DG: We were wondering if you can activate it for us?

Me: So you're asking me to follow the printed instructions? So you're asking me to follow the printed instructions?

DG: Yes, please?

Me: Okee. *activates phone and sends them on their way*

That's how price tags work

I have a frustratingly constantly large number of customers either asking if the price tag under/over an item is the price for that item. Granted, sometimes an item gets moved to the wrong place and sometimes a price changes, but this is an almost every day event. Even on items that are in LOCKED cases or pegs.

Example 1:

Coworker and I are working freight. There are only three of us on the floor, and we barely have 1/4 of it done. Teen Girl walks up (She's of Hispanic heritage. I'm not making any racist remarks. My experience in this store shows me that there is a high probability that this particular demographic in this town will need/want a translator. I've no big deal with that, but I do have a problem with people asking me or a translator to read them the price tags. Dude. Really?)

TG: Where are your iPods?

Me: *pointing to case with GLOWING sign* Right over there. Let me know if you need one unlocked.

TG: *walks over, LOOKING at the case* And how much are they?

Me: *small smash and thud in my head as the brain-to-mouth filter breaks* Price tags are right next to them. Numbers are the same in all languages."

CW: *Looks up from his sorting of over stock* I love you.

Example 2:

Family of customers ask to see the DS Systems. I'm a little stoked because this was back when I had something resembling enthusiasm and was hoping to get a chance to show how much I know of the product.

Me: "Right over here!" *Leads them over*

Father Customer: Stares blankly at them items in the case for a few moments, then says something to Mother Customer in Spanish*

MC: "You speaka Spanish?"

Me: "No, Uno momento." *Gets Photo Associate who does to translate*

MC/FC: *asks questions in Spanish*

PA: *Answers in Spanish*

Me: *waits patiently, wanting to help (Oh the naivete of two years ago)*

Family leaves.

PA: They just wanted to know the prices.

Me:

You're making me buy this!!

Had a customer a few months ago who wanted to purchase a television. Unfortunately my store gets frustratingly long stretches where we have very little to no televisions in his preferred size range. This was one of them. Each television he asked about, I would got to the back to look, and find none. His frustration grew with each no go. And so did his shitty attitude. I was willing to call other stores for him. He just blew me off.

SC: You guys never have these in stock, and the ones you do have look like shit! *waves to the displays*

(Our displays showing the Corporate Store Content have a pretty fuzzy picture. This is a problem originating with a shit signal from the home office, and compounded by the fact we split this signal up between more than 20 televisions. Store performance is NOT an example of home performance)

Me: not bothering to waste the effort educating this asshole on this fact.

SC: I'll just take this one, then! Since I don't have any other choice!

Me: Wow, did I get magic "make customer forget how to leave the store" powers? Worst. Power. Ever. I'll get a cart.

I retrieve cart and load up his TV.

SC: So what do you do in this situation?

Me: What do you mean?

SC: When you sell out like this.

Me: High five each other on our ability to move product? There's nothing we can do.

SC: I know there's nothing YOU can do for me.

Me: Oh look at that; My Give-A-Damn busted *rings up television wordlessly from that point, hoping I can get someone else to do the carryout when the customer answers my silent prayers and lugs it out in his own arms. Good thing too. I hate when people insist on help with 42 inch sets*

What the fuck did he want me to do? Tell the previous person to buy a television not to?

"I'm sorry, Sir. I can't sell you that. Someone else might want to buy it later."

Fucker.

I'll post more later in Volume 3
    Last edited by Dracalous; 03-26-2013, 08:31 PM.

I think what the guy in the last story wanted your to do was to give him a discount for his "inconvenience."
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
      I think what the guy in the last story wanted your to do was to give him a discount for his "inconvenience."
      That was another possibility that occur ed to me. Had he said that, i might have broken the filter again.

Comment

Oh look at that; My Give-A-Damn busted
        I WANT THIS ON A T-SHIRT!!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          I WANT THIS ON A T-SHIRT!!
          Here you go:

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/9893936/...ns-pink_tshirt

Or how about the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFG9dwolo3Q

Comment

Quoth Dracalous View Post

Like, reading is hard

This is a more recent tale of customer idiocy, and my own sarcasm.
            I return to me department after examining a serial number on a returned television (Because Customer Service Associates learn to read after they get the job) to find two sophomore or junior aged high school girls waiting at the counter.

Me: "Hi.. How can I help you?"

DG (Dumb Girls): "Yeah, we got this Shit Talk phone and card and haven't activated it." *Shows me phone, card, and the instructions for activation*

Me: Really? They couldn't possibly be this dense, right? Is there something wrong with it?

DG: We were wondering if you can activate it for us?

Me: So you're asking me to follow the printed instructions? So you're asking me to follow the printed instructions?

DG: Yes, please?

Me: Okee. *activates phone and sends them on their way*
            That's a little tough to determine. Maybe they actually didn't know how to read, but how do you ask tactfully, "Do you know how to read?" without sounding like a jerk? You're not there to teach them, but it might be embarrassing for the customer to tell the clerk, "I'm sorry. I don't know how to read" (yet, if they can't read, I would assume they're not buying a smartphone since everything has labels and are not just symbols).

Comment

Great googlies.. I was very glad I didn't actually work the floor when I worked at the Mart of Hell. It was bad enough doing set up and threatening to get the stapler from sporting goods to staple towels together to keep custies from unfolding them. And even threaten to staple said custie hands to towels (and I wonder why the personnel manager loved me.. it was her department at the time!) Mind, I could understand asking prices in that situation, where we were moving product around like hockey pucks and price tags were often wrong.

The only time I ask for the prices is if a) I can't find the tag, b) found the tag but the UPC didn't match, c) can't bend down to read the tag and d) the price scanner thing is either busted or non-existent.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

One of my favorite songs.

Comment

Quoth Rodimal View Post
                  One of my favorite songs.
                  Yep - one of the first songs I got for my iPod.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                    That's a little tough to determine. Maybe they actually didn't know how to read, but how do you ask tactfully, "Do you know how to read?" without sounding like a jerk? You're not there to teach them, but it might be embarrassing for the customer to tell the clerk, "I'm sorry. I don't know how to read" (yet, if they can't read, I would assume they're not buying a smartphone since everything has labels and are not just symbols).
                    It was a smart phone. And they both spoke English as a first language.

Comment

I retrieve cart and load up his TV.

SC: So what do you do in this situation?
                      ME: Me? I shut up and allow the nice associate who volunteered call the other stores to see if they have the precise TV I want in stock so I neither waste my time running from store to store nor waste my money on a set that I don't really want. But hey, that's just me.
                      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Me: Oh look at that; My Give-A-Damn busted
                        As I like to say, my Give-A-Shit's not only busted, it's sitting in the junkyard waiting to be parted out. >_<
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I am SO buying that shirt. And maybe the song too.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            I am SO buying that shirt. And maybe the song too.
                            Needs more sarcasm...

Comment

Working...
                            X