This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So that's why he was overdue...

So one of my cousins had her baby this morning.

Despite the fact that she was not fond of having a c-section or an epidural (she was squicky at the idea of a giant needle in her back) she ended up having to have both.

Good reason too.

I present to you William Kelly (not sure of a middle name) born at 7:41am Australian Central Standard Time. 9lb 4oz. Basically about the same weight as my sister when SHE was born.

Mother is quite happy to have him out.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Grats on the family addition! That's a big baby!

Comment

Any pics?
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
        That's a big baby!
        No kidding!

I remember my mum saying that my sister was huge*. I went and found the little cards that they hang over the bassinets in the hospital. Turns out that my sister was 9lb 9.5oz.

In comparison I was 7lb 10oz. (nearly all the hospitals nowadays practice rooming-in with mum and bub apart from the babies needing extra support. Back then it was more nursery)

*=Mum initially needed a C-section with me because I was a stubborn wee fireheart who refused to turn around. The "official" reason I've heard mum needing a C-section with my sister was because she was big. The actual reason I also suspect is that the hospital she was giving birth at did not allow VBAC's as a policy. (I was in the public hospital where she DID have the option, my sister was born at a private hospital near home. That hospital is now a nursing home/hospice)

ETA: Pics will eventually be a-coming when she puts more up. She has ONE so far, but I figured I'd let mum and baby have some getting-to-know you time
        Last edited by fireheart; 04-15-2013, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I was 3lb 7oz when I was born, and, just to predict what a pain in the arse i'd be, I was born right around when my mum should have been having her tea. and I was 6-8 weeks early.
          I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
            My son was 2 weeks later and weighed in at 9lbs 13oz so I defiinitely feel your cousin's pain, fireheart! I gave birth naturally, without an epidural...my doctor wasn't expecting my son to be as big as he was and apologized profusely.

Congrats on the happy addition to the family!
            That's gotta hurt. I think my cousin would've been glad for a C-section!

This one was about a week overdue. A lot of docs will induce at around 41 weeks since 42 weeks is absolutely pushing it.

Comment

My mother, before she had babies, weighed 95 pounds, soaking wet. I weighed 10lbs 12oz. Yup. Definitely a C-Section. My babies were all preemies. The first two were big for their gestational ages. #1 was 8lbs 8oz at 36 weeks, #2 was 5lbs 4oz at 32 weeks and #3 was 504 grams (between 1lb 1oz and 1lb 2oz) at 24 weeks.

Congrats on the new family member!
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Sadly, this particular branch of the family tree all live out north from the town, so I don't see them so much. Usually it's for Christmas. (We rotate between who does Christmas lunch.) so by the time I will get to meet him, he'll be around 4-5 months old.

Luckily I will have my other cousins to play with. (2 4-year-olds who are about a week apart and 1 2-year old)

Comment

And here is a pic! I tried to pick one where mum wasn't in the photo and he was sorta active...

Comment

Aaaaaaawwww *melts* What a cutie!

Comment

I had a friend in college whose head was 14 cm when he was born. Think about that....14 cm coming out of a 10 cm opening Apparently his mom broke the cast on her arm because she banged her arm down so hard during the delivery.
                      Dance is the breath-of-life made visible-Charles De Lint

Comment

Congrats!

And, um.... I just tried to put Li'l Zel's weight (4,620.00 grams) in a metric converter... can it really be true that he weighed OVER TEN FRIGGIN POUNDS at birth and I handled it with only laughing gas and a couple of stitches afterwards?! (Not playing the hero here - I ended up ROARING for drugs but I was too dilated for that and it wasn't an emergency)
                        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I also didn't want an epidural or a c-section, had both. It wasn't so bad...they get you higher than a hippie at Woodstock before they start cutting.

9 lbs isn't particularly big to me- I guess I just know people who have big babies (Khan was 8 1/2 lbs). In addition, her being overdue probably contributed to his size; just because your due date has passed doesn't mean the baby stops growing!

He is cute...funny how they say 'that's a big baby' but they still look so small.
                          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Higher than a hippie at Woodstock...

My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

He's cute! And has red hair!

Give him a hug from us!
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X