This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Note to self

Make sure hand is dry before unplugging computer.

And don't grab the prongs if they're still in the socket a bit.

My hand is now pleasantly tingly. Lol.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

At least you didn't electocute yourself, causing a 3rd degree burn and puncture wound to the bone, which would engender tachycardia and a $725 ambulance ride.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My hand is still tingly. Heh.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I once cooked on an electric stove with a hot spot on the burner, that melted through my pot and shot flames and electricity through my pot of gumbo. Of course I grabbed it and moved it quickly, with potholders even, but there was a wet spot on one of the potholders. It shocked me and I had that tingly feeling for a little while afterwards...

Comment

I got shocked once, a little more severely. I was picking up a topping warmer at work (fast food) to clean under it, and apparently there was an exposed wire on the underside and I touched it. Couldn't move for a few seconds until it stopped, and it felt like someone had hit my arm with a sledgehammer for a couple minutes. Amazingly though, just a shock, no burn.

Comment

Worst shock I had was when I was lifting a saddle over the fence to my mom. The rivets on my Levis touched the hot wire. I've had great respect for electric fences since then.
            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

ouch, been there before. At least it was momentary contact, when you stick and it courses through you for any significant amount of time it generally sucks.

I was getting ready to wash my car and was in the process of plugging in the power washer. Unlucky: didn't know or realize the cord end was frayed. Lucky: was squatting, so my knee and elbow were touching. Because of that, the current ran through my arm to the elbow, then through the knee and down through my foot, rather than through the heart or something such. Not sure just how long I was energized, but it's 15 years later and I still only have about 70% feeling in my left pinky.

Comment

When my brother was little, he stuck a hairpin into an outlet. My mother never let him forget about it, not that he needed the reminder. Or maybe he did....Many years later he used to change the fuses on our ancient electrical panel in the old house, without turning off the power. Crazy person.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I hope people are remembering to switch the power OFF at the wall before pulling plugs out of sockets....
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I'm glad yer alright, and intact, even if a bit *brrzt* tingly o_O

Oddly enough, when I saw the title, it reminded me of something I used to do back in ye olde days...I always kept a text file on my Desktop named "NOTE TO SELF". Three guesses as to its content. I even scrounged up a pic of the desktop with that on it...circa 1995 >_< I still kinda do it, but my "Sigs & Links" text file has kinda taken over that duty.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                      I hope people are remembering to switch the power OFF at the wall before pulling plugs out of sockets....
                      We don't generally have that set-up in the US. I know they do in the UK and I guess Australia, too. But here if you want to shut your power off you do it at the circuit breaker panel or in really old buildings that haven't been converted, at a fusebox. I don't know of any place in the US that has individual shut-offs at the wall (there may be some, anyone else know?)
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

MC - I have been in a couple houses where the wall switches control some of the wall sockets (invariably in the kitchen), but it seems to be an exceptionally rare setup. In each of those cases, the "controller" switch was distinct from the light switches, and the residents had taken to labeling each one, so as not to get them confused.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          We don't generally have that set-up in the US. I know they do in the UK and I guess Australia, too. But here if you want to shut your power off you do it at the circuit breaker panel or in really old buildings that haven't been converted, at a fusebox. I don't know of any place in the US that has individual shut-offs at the wall (there may be some, anyone else know?)
                          Other than the GFCI outlets with the test/reset buttons that are near my sinks (one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom), I've never seen outlets that can be shut off at the wall.
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

My ex has one in his apartment. I took great fun in showing it off to him when he got home from work one day. We never did figure out what one of those switches did.

Comment

Working...
                            X