This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guild Wars 2

Does anyone play? I took advantage of the free weekend they just had, liked it and so I upgraded to a full account.

I have no idea what I'm doing. I played WOW for 6+ years. Its similar enough to WOW, but different enough that I remember...I have no idea what I'm doing. Lol.

What world are you all on?

Any tips for what class/race to get into? I've lightly tried a Norn Elementalist, an Asura Engineer and a Human Necromancer (my fave so far). Hubby has not decided if he wants to get into GW but played a Norn Mesmer over the weekend and loved it.

I play on Millersund [Miller's Sound], a German server. I am purple, frondy and like photosynthesis... Asura necromancer. [OK, maybe I am a fungus? Don't fungi live off dead stuff?] I use the name Aruvqan

To be honest, I have not been playing EVE much since Sean died. I enjoy my necro quite a lot. At 80, I have all the 'spells' and tend to play with 5 minions, I am a party all by myself! I am now working on maxing out jewelrymaking and cooking, then I will change out cooking for weaponmaking so I can make some legendary goodies for myself.

My word of advice is to save and salvage everything even if it is a tradeskill mat you don't use. Stuff autostacks in the bank in stacks of 250, you can pop the stacks when they get full into the overflow part of the bank so you can keep autosaving stuff to the bank. And I adore the auction system, you can pop stuff into the auction house while running frantically away from some undead maniac midget!
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Altara Cogbinder (or the other way around). Sylvari engineer, Underworld server (Euro one). More a weekend player than anything else, but I tend to make time each day for the dailies.

I have a few minor characters and am starting to really like the mesmer. However, flamethrower almost all the way.

Rapscallion

Comment

...I have no idea where I am, but I play a human thief. I'm still trying to figure out how to play....so far as I can tell, I'm somehow level 48. In a level 25 zone. Wat.

It's a lot of fun, though. I like how bouncy the thief is, reminds me of my warrior from TERA. My only grief is that GW2 isn't idiot-friendly, and I tend to bounce off of cliffs. A lot. Like, a whole lot.
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Tarnished Coast (North America's Unofficial RP server) Look for Selena Naryen (my ranger) or Nathan Kol (Warrior).

And yes, gravity is the leading cause of death in GW2. That and getting flattened by the Claw of Jormag whenever it gets its wings shot off, and you don't move out of its normal landing spot (10-point achievement).

As for advice? Try out all 8 classes, then make a decision on what seems most FUN.

Warriors and Necros have the most Hitpoints, Rangers, Mesmers, and Engineers are the most flexible (in a game where flexibility is paramount, that's saying something), and the Elementalist, Thief, and Guardian are very much glass cannons in the funnest way possible.

Comment

Returned my digital copy for a full refund after the dungeon gear fiasco and the utterly disgusting cash grab events. -.-

Loved it at first till I slowly learned how many things were utterly broken and how little effort they were putting towards fixing it. Then the cash grabs started and it seemed like they were devoting all their efforts to seasonal events rather than adding to or fixing the base game.

Mainly play the Secret World now. Albeit not too much lately. I rigged it up to play with a controller on the couch, but I'm still not at a point where I can't sit at a desk for very long yet.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
              Returned my digital copy for a full refund after the dungeon gear fiasco and the utterly disgusting cash grab events. -.-
              I missed this, what happened?

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                I missed this, what happened?
                They added a gear treadmill after swearing up and down they wouldn't the entire time they were developing the game.

Then the events....during the big seasonal events there are custom weapon skins and stuff you can get that they advertise heavily. But you only have a chance of getting them from Black Lion chests. Which can only be opened with Black Lion keys.....that you have to buy from the cash shop.

Basically they put a lottery in the game, then didn't disclose the odds of winning like lotteries are legally bound to do. Caused a huge hit storm on the forums. Especially after people started number crunching and realized the drop rate was like 0.5%.

So, at about $1.20ish per key I think it was... ;p
                Last edited by Gravekeeper; 04-26-2013, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Oh wow. Yeah I didn't realize that. I haven't paid much attention yet to gearing up and whatnot. Kinda just dinking around doing events and exploring for now.

I also didn't play the seasonal events....I'm still like WHERE IS LIONS ARCH AGAIN WHERE THE HECK AM I oh god why is the sheep killing me. So, yep. Also didn't notice that.

Hi, I'm Seraph, and I'm living under a rock in GW2. Go me.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                    Oh wow. Yeah I didn't realize that. I haven't paid much attention yet to gearing up and whatnot. Kinda just dinking around doing events and exploring for now.
                    Yeah, the game certainly has some good ideas and mechanics, but so so many of them are broken or out of balance. Its pretty good at first but the higher you get the more the frayed edges start to show.

It became especially frustrating in the later game with the balance/broken class abilities. For a game that's suppose to have the PVP pedigree of Guild Wars 1, it was pretty sad. I waited months for them to fix even the simplest bugs with my Ele and Necromancer.

Then one of the designers identically let slip on the forums that they only had 2 people working on class balance/bugs the entire time since release despite there being classes with bug lists 6 or 7 pages long on the forums. That was around the point I gave up ;p

It seems like their development focus is churning out big cash grab events over fixing the base game, sadly.

Comment

Working...
                    X