Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YouTube is apparently a dangerous place to be ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YouTube is apparently a dangerous place to be ...

I posted a link to a funny YouTube video on my FB page today and somebody responded with the comment they'd heard that some YouTube links can allow hackers access to your FB page. Can anybody enlighten me on this, please and thanks?

Not least because I am on YouTube a LOT.

If it matters, I have a Mac.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Is this same 'source' that repeats the dreck about putting a 'FB, you no has rights to my content' messages up actually does anything?

Still, if a link goes to Youtube.com, it's fine. A link to youtube.com.jibberish.net, is NOT fine, as it goes to 'jibberish.net', not YouTube. It's just easier to wave hands in terror than actually educate oneself about how the 'net works. In the mean time, these individually will keep blindly clicking links because they are there.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification and the quick response.

I don't know if this person has ever put up that "privacy" crap ... I've never seen anything to suggest he's a conspiracy nut, but who knows?

I will be very wary of any youtube.com.SOMETHINGELSE links (don't think I've ever even seen such a thing ... so far, anyway.)

The link in question led directly to youtube.com.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Some people I know think the ads on youtube are full of malware and viruses. Sad thing is that my antivirus has never gone off on a youtube ad, but it has many times when on FB.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
          Is this same 'source' that repeats the dreck about putting a 'FB, you no has rights to my content' messages up actually does anything?

Still, if a link goes to Youtube.com, it's fine. A link to youtube.com.jibberish.net, is NOT fine, as it goes to 'jibberish.net', not YouTube. It's just easier to wave hands in terror than actually educate oneself about how the 'net works. In the mean time, these individually will keep blindly clicking links because they are there.
          I see a distressing number of companies who seem to be genuinely outsourcing their E-mail via something like bankname-email.com. Given the way DNS works, that's barely more plausible than bankname.wescrewyou.com. And the only reason it's even slightly plausible is that for a second-level domain, the bank can complain to (or sue) the TLD registries about misuse of their trademarks.

Comment

Working...
          X