This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why we can't have nice things in the library

This has me shaking my head. Really..Seriously. I honestly think there's something wrong in the home if the son lost his mind and the mom is making it a personal crusade. I heard about this from my weekly e-mail newsletterfrom Robert's Anime Corner Store.

http://www.waltonsun.com/news/son-85...k-therapy.html

Margaret Barbaree, founder of a citizens’ group called Protect Our Children, presented examples from a manga book to the Crestview City Council last week that she described as “graphic” and “shocking,” taken from material she said is “available to children” at the Crestview Public Library.

“My son lost his mind when he found this,” Barbaree said of the manga book from which her examples were taken.

She said her son had removed the book unsupervised from the library’s general stacks last summer and put it in his backpack. She has kept it ever since.
    The manga in question that made him "lose his mind" :

Psychic Academy (rated 13+) and Gantz (rated 17+)

So rather than deal with the fact that he stole the books from the library and disciplining him, she decides to form a group to deal with the evol manga. My suspicions are that she decided that he must be sick and managed to get him committed somewhere. Wow..
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Peole today.

*le sigh*

I haven't read Gantaz, but I have read Psychic Academy.

The Mother needs extensive therapy herself.

Is this a new take on censorship? My child has gone insane so we need to take this stuff off the shelves!

Thank goodness I'm not living in Crestview ... that woman and I would be having words.

Comment

Yeah, okay, whatever. Kid would probably lose his mind if exposed to Paris Hilton, Growing Pains reruns, and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Fail mom fails at parenting.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Oh, god I saw this on fark the other day. Ridiculous.

Anyone else notice that they stole the book, too? The article sounds like the kid stole it in the first place, but mom still has it.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Psychic Academy doesn't really have a lot in it from what I remember. It was more to do with demons and the occult than really anything else.

Gantz got its' rating because of the violence more than anything else.

I really feel sorry for the kid. This is the kind of thing my mother would have done if she thought she could get away with it. I'm so glad she didn't care what I read. If she'd known what I'd gotten when I was younger, I know she'd have burst a vessel or two freaking out. Of course, back then Elfquest was the bad thing to read because of the sex, and there was a lot of it. I don't remember which volume it is, but there's a huge orgy scene and I know my mom would have had many litters of kittens if she'd seen that.
          Last edited by fma_fanatic; 07-10-2010, 05:19 AM.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

i bet she would hate fake voilence, cops, and gay sex.
            I may like girls but i love a good romance too lol.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              Anyone else notice that they stole the book, too? The article sounds like the kid stole it in the first place, but mom still has it.
              I was wondering if I was the only one who caught that.
              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Yep, its pretty clear that he stole it but she's strategically turning him out to be the victim.

As FMA pointed out - they're both out of his age range. Would she let him go to a R or NC-17 rated movie and then complain about the movie itself saying all movies like that should be banned?

She also misrepresented her petition - it sounds like she would have had a fraction of the signatures if they knew what it was really for.
                Last edited by draggar; 07-11-2010, 12:51 PM.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Epic parenting fail....IMO.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

FAIL on so many levels, I don;t know where to start. The kid stealing the book, the mom holding on to it, the "trauma."

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                      Would she let him go to a R or NC-17 rated movie and then complain about the movie itself saying all movies like that should be banned?
                      Quite probably, yes.
                      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
                      X