This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammers and Pranksters

I am so so so so happy that school is starting back up.

Currently I deliver pizzas for a living. Not much, but hey Im making my own way.

Over the summer we get a rash of scammers and pranksters.
    Pranksters are almost always younger teens who have to little to do with their time. I guess playing outside just isnt enough. About a week all on the same day we got at least ten calls from the same people (kids). In the first call they were asking for orange chicken. I told them that no, we are a pizza place and do not have orange chicken. This was just the first call. I was then giving them the benefit of the doubt that they may have just been very confused. Eventually I told them that if we received anymore calls we would involve the police and it stopped.

All the calls involved a variation of asking for something a pizza place simply would not have. Normally chinese themed food.

We have also had far more scammers than usual. Once a week is about average. The past month though we have had as many as six a week.

They call in and tell us the order was wrong in some fashion: it was burnt, wrong toppings, wrong crust, something missing. Many of these calls have one thing in common. We have NO record of the order. Anywhere. We won't even have a name or address associated with the number. So no order has been placed from the number for a very long time.
    The other common scammers are those who placed an order and then attempt to call back two or more days later claiming something was wrong. If we have no record of them calling in to tell us the same day, or the next day in case it was a late order and we had closed then we wont replace those orders either.

The worst are the ones that do call back right away. Normally what happens in these cases is that they order one medium pizza and find that it will not adequately feed the 10 people they have in the house. I often find myself knowing when we are going to get a call back as soon as I leave a house because I can hear/see a lot of people there.

Not saying we dont make mistakes. We do. But they are generally due to a miss communication and we are happy to fix those Heck, we had a rather nasty one a few months back, someone got a new cell phone and who ever took the order didnt bother to confirm the address... took me a bit of detective work to fix that one since I had to find the original order.

And these people's "ethics" drive up the price for the rest of us. Glad your management doesn't cave on the more obvious ones.

Comment

Yer lucky, bar. Good ol' DaddyJim's would fold like a house of cards at the slightest hint of displeasure, falling over themselves to give out Free Cards to people who had allegedly gotten a wrong order months and months prior...Oddly enough, these people continue to order from us, and complain again once their stock of freebies have run out.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Wait, if someone doesn't order enough people to feed their horde of friends, how is it YOUR fault? I can see them calling back and saying they need a couple more pizzas, but do they actually try to get something for free because they didn't order enough food??
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Yer lucky, bar. Good ol' DaddyJim's would fold like a house of cards at the slightest hint of displeasure, falling over themselves to give out Free Cards to people who had allegedly gotten a wrong order months and months prior...Oddly enough, these people continue to order from us, and complain again once their stock of freebies have run out.
          It is not just DaddyJim's that does this, even with "phantom" orders. All of the major pizza companies train their managers (and to a certain extent the peons) to "just give scammers free shit to keep them happy and 'quiet' and employees are not allowed to complain".
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Wait, if someone doesn't order enough people to feed their horde of friends, how is it YOUR fault? I can see them calling back and saying they need a couple more pizzas, but do they actually try to get something for free because they didn't order enough food??
            They'll make up something wrong with it, or bemoan an imagined slight from the delivery person, and try to score a free replacement to increase the available food.
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
              They'll make up something wrong with it, or bemoan an imagined slight from the delivery person, and try to score a free replacement to increase the available food.
              Right, and unless they are habitual we wont ask for the pizza back.

Comment

Working...
              X