Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because I don't spend the next x number of minutes chatting doesn't actually mean I hate you. It means that you are just as important as whoever is waiting for you to be done. If I chat with you, I'll be unkind to the next guy. So...no chatting. Keeps it fair for everyone.

Why is that terribly difficult to understand?
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Sorry my ex, Whiney Bitch, called you. I was certain he'd never even get the gonads to order something over the phone.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Even at a pizza place there are metrics they measure. Things like production time, delivery time, etc.

One they do not kill us on is call length. The POS at my company does track it but we are not counseled or "coached" if our call time exceeds a reasonable time (say 3 minutes or so)

Between customers who take literally 10 minutes to decide what to order to those who want details on EVERY menu item to those who "group order" during a party sometimes our phone time sucks.

I am NOT there to be their therapist, nor do I want to be their bartender nor do I like the Miss Manners customers. I want to take their order and get off the phone as I HAVE OTHER THINGS TO DO like say delivery their order or clean so I can go home.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          Whenever someone asks how I am, I actually cringe, because it's happened more than once that I gave a socially acceptable answer, such as "Fine" or "I'm alright," and was argued with about said answer. "Are you really fine?" So I answer the question and it ends right there. I don't ask back; I want no part of this fake social pleasantry.

I think maybe the next person to argue with my answer should get a "I'm fine; I didn't get shot in the stomach at the local Malwart today" or "Well, my pain level is only at a 7 today." But of course they'd get all nosey at the latter.
          I've had people question the default responses too many times, so I trained myself to never say "fine." The best they'll get is "good enough", with "getting there" a close second

I have a few regulars who will ask me, or I'll ask them, and it'll be genuine interest so they'll get a more candid (but still usually less than honest) answer.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

As a cashier we're supposed to greet the customers so depending on circumstances or my mood or whatever, sometimes I'll say "Hi there, how are you today?" or just a friendly "Hi!". Every once in a while I'll get the customer who asks me "So how are you today?" in a weird tone like they're annoyed that I didn't ask them how they were. People are never satisfied, it seems. I've never really been one for pleasantries and small talk so sometimes it's a challenge for me and it gets old after asking dozens of people all day how they are when I pretty much don't care.
            Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

http://xkcd.com/222/

My go to response is "tired". It's usually true enough, and even when it isn't people usually accept it as honest without being an "I'm going to lay all my problems on you" response.

Comment

Quoth MelindaJoy77 View Post
                I've never really been one for pleasantries and small talk so sometimes it's a challenge for me and it gets old after asking dozens of people all day how they are when I pretty much don't care.
                Same here; that's why I usually say, "Hello, did you find everything today?" rather than "Hello, how are you?" More neutral yet still polite. Nobody's taken offense to it, though I'm sure it will happen eventually.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Yeah, outside of work, my default response to "How're things?" is "Eh, you know." If someone asks, "How's it going?" the answer is "It goes."
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    ... If someone asks, "How's it going?" the answer is ...
                    They won't let me unzip my pants in public to see if it still does.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

No one is fiiiiiiine. Hair is fiiiiine. When ever i get asked that i switch it up...ive been moderately neato before. Apologies to the great carlin.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                        Whenever someone asks how I am, I actually cringe, because it's happened more than once that I gave a socially acceptable answer, such as "Fine" or "I'm alright," and was argued with about said answer. "Are you really fine?" So I answer the question and it ends right there. I don't ask back; I want no part of this fake social pleasantry.

I think maybe the next person to argue with my answer should get a "I'm fine; I didn't get shot in the stomach at the local Malwart today" or "Well, my pain level is only at a 7 today." But of course they'd get all nosey at the latter.
                        Try "I'm not unwell, thank you," - it works surprisingly well, I think because the double negative brings their brains to a screeching halt.

Comment

I've always wondered about customers who think it's a good idea to harass the people who handle their food.

Comment

Note to Etiquette Assholes: I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS HOW YOU ARE!! Get your shit & get out.

That having been said, I usually say "Finethankyouhowareyou"
                            Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

Working...
                            X