This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why I hate being helpful

A few days ago I was on my lunch break, decided I was tired of frozen meals (hey, they are $0.88 a piece, low in calories, and easy to make, perfect for lunch at work) and decided to go to our deli to get a slice of pizza for lunch. Now, company policy is that you wear your name badge whenever you are on the clock, even on break (they are paid breaks and you are allowed to add the time you are helping a guest to the end of your break)... a guest flagged me down while I was walking past the machine they were playing on and informed me that they were having problem with their free play. I offered to find them a slot tech, their response was "you work here, you can help me." I explained that as a finance employee, I legally cannot touch the slot machines, that at best I could suggest some basic troubleshooting that they can try themselves, but that it would be better to get a slot tech. They persisted that it would be better service for me to do it, so finally I just replied "Your right, but tell you what, since I'll lose my gaming card I'll make it worth my while by telling the meter that you won half a million jackpot, print out the ticket with my name on it, but leave the win on your W-2g, because I totally have the ability to make those adjustments." Which, for the record, all I could really do is screw up his W-2g, overriding a meter is nearly impossible to do without collaboration with the slot office... but enough of it was true that I could pull off the bluff and he gladly let me find him a slot tech to help him.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

"You work here, you can help me"... I like his logic. I think I'll try it out next time I go to the doctor's office, just demand that the receptionist help me - after all, she works there. While I'm at it, it'll be a heckova lot easier getting support at my local electronics store: while other schlubs are waiting in the endless lines over at customer service, I can just flag down a janitor and he has to be able to help me - after all, he works there. This will cut hours off of my wait times everywhere. Genius.

Comment

"I'm sorry I'm already getting something for another customer" best phrase ever. When I'm going to the break room or getting on/off the clock and someone waves me down I say this and just don't even give them a chance to answer.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Working...
      X