Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When they start to haggle, I wonder how many of you could get away with replying, "Ok, what you're trying to do is actually layaway, and we can do that. When you pay the amount in full as set by US, then you can take it home..."?

Comment

With big purchases I usually try to haggle in some way
      Ie: when I bought my washer and dryer, I figured the models I wanted, and visited all the local stores, inquired about upcoming sales etc. at the second to last store I went to, the salesman actually looked at my notes from all the stores, told me if I waited to the sale at his store (1 month after the store I was thinking of buying with) he would throw in free delivery and a gfi extension cord. Deal!

It really does pay to haggle but being a dick about it like the people in the OP, that just makes people not want to help you.

And who goes to a KFC and tries to bargain?
      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

I get hagglers all the time. I don't mind the nice ones. It's the "I know the quilt I want is $500 and I only have $100 and that's more then fair, since the quilts at the big box store are $80!" that piss me off.

Of course now I just offer them payment plans.
        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Assuming you work at the same chain I do, we had a guy come in and ask for £300 off a £900 TV because "The Customer is always right", oh how we laughed.

Comment

Actually, thinking about it, another one that made me laugh was a guy I had a conversation with over a washing machine. The machine was £349 but he wanted 20% off (obviously we only get 10%) I said I was unable to do that, and after a bit of him haggling to no avail he said "It must be really hard to sell washing machines" quick as a flash my response was "Not really"

Comment

Quoth static
              The worst haggling SC I ever got was as follows.

Me: Okay, so that's €XX

Haggler: I shouldn't have to pay that.

Me: Uh... why?

Haggler: Because I don't want to.

I know it doesn't look that bad in writing, but the arrogance with which she said it boils my blood even now. Another time I had woman in who, upon being told that our prices were set and non-negotiable, told me to "use [my] initiative and make up a new price".

Personally I would have felt inclined to use my initiative and offer her a higher price.

Comment

Quoth Supernautus View Post
                Personally I would have felt inclined to use my initiative and offer her a higher price.
                Ah, the patent-pending Jester method of negotiating with a cheapskate.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                  Please do, if you're ever able. [/pimp]
                  Hm, how long does it take to get there from London, and what is the best way? We are doing our best to get to WorldCon in London next summer ... and I am willing to forgo some Con time for something like that.
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

To Eastleigh, it seems that trains leave regularly from Victoria station (in the south part of the city) and take about an hour and a half. http://nationalrail.co.uk/

Comment

Quoth static
                      The worst haggling SC I ever got was as follows.

Me: Okay, so that's €XX

Haggler: I shouldn't have to pay that.

Me: Uh... why?

I know it doesn't look that bad in writing, but the arrogance with which she said it boils my blood even now. Another time I had woman in who, upon being told that our prices were set and non-negotiable, told me to "use [my] initiative and make up a new price".
                      I can see the arrogance even in writing. He shouldn't have to pay full price because he doesn't want to? um, that's not the way market forces work exactly. ( basically, the price of an item should be set at the level which provides the most total profit per year. ( for example, if your costs were 50p per item, and you could sell 1,000 at £1 per item, but 100,000 at 75p per item, the 75p price is better. prices DO have to cover costs, though.) In short, no individual customer can set the price, only the customers as an entity.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                        To Eastleigh, it seems that trains leave regularly from Victoria station (in the south part of the city) and take about an hour and a half. http://nationalrail.co.uk/
                        Hm, I think this definitely hit the to do list for the trip!
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth static
                          "Well, you certainly don't have to."

[Static puts item back on shelf or under counter.]

"Next customer, please!"

We get that too. How I respond depends on how they ask.

A nice customer who wants the product and says they can't afford it at the going price? I'll tell them to check eBay to see if anyone is selling it used or try calling some dealers who may discounted prices (we're a manufacturer and we CAN'T undercut MSRP and be fair to resellers). Or see if they qualify for financial assistance from another party.

Someone who arrogantly states, "I'm NOT paying that!"? I'm still polite: "I understand. I'm very sorry to hear that. Chances are the price will go up if you wait, but I'm happy to hold today's quote for x weeks for you to think it over. Is there anything else I can help you with? No? Have a good afternoon and thank you for your interest in [product]!"
                          Last edited by Dips; 08-15-2013, 12:04 PM.
                          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                            Hm, how long does it take to get there from London, and what is the best way? We are doing our best to get to WorldCon in London next summer ... and I am willing to forgo some Con time for something like that.
                            You'll want Southampton, not Eastleigh Eastleigh's just a little railway town. Trains go to Southampton Central (not Airport Parkway!!) direct from London Waterloo; it takes just under 90 minutes and costs about £30ish return. Then you need to get to Ocean Village, and I think there's a bus or if that fails a taxi. Opposite Ocean Village should be signs that point to Solent Sky.

"...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth Supernautus View Post
                              Assuming you work at the same chain I do...
                              I thunk there was pretty much only one mahoosive national chain in this market nowadays but my discount budget is nowhere near the 10% you mention in a later post. I basically have to fiddle the computer system and exploit loopholes like hell to get any more than a 0.5% budget.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                                And who goes to a KFC and tries to bargain?
                                Former coworker J would do that. I don't think he ever tried it at KFC, but he did do it once or twice at the deli around the corner. He would go in there around lunchtime, and try to "negotiate" the prices on $5 sandwiches. He really saw no problem with it, even after the shop owner told him to "either pay up, or get the fuck out." Then he'd come back into the office, and ranting about "those assholes around the corner." At least he got into trouble when he tried that shit at the coffee shop across the street. Seems that the owner told our boss...and when he heard about what J had done, he confronted him. Naturally, J lied about it.

Back on topic, I usually don't try to negotiate prices. On things like cars, sure. But...not a damn sandwich.
                                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                                X