This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth dalesys View Post
    Jester's parodies are ever ready... they've got lots of sustain...
    Thanks.

Back in the mid-Nineties, I was THIS close to a local radio station producing a parody I had written. And when I say "THIS close," I mean that producers from the station actually called me and talked to me about it after I had submitted it.

Still want a local act to do my parodied version of one of Jimmy Buffett's most famous, iconic songs. Of course, I have to finish the parody first....

(The local act in question, while fantastic musicians, do perform silly stuff like this....many of their biggest hits are themselves parodies.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Strangely enough we had something similiar happen last night.

The customer wants to order the following for some family gathering (50 - 60 people) at a nearby hotel:
      17 large pizzas of various makes and toppings
      20 pans of pasta
      total bill with tax = (approximately) $325

When the totall for the "order" is given, they exclaim "THAT MUCH FOR ALL OF THAT???????????" and prompty cancel the order.

That breaks down to $6 or $7 per person. not a bad price at all.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth zigcat View Post
        If I want a good hearty burger I'll go to the local burger joint where I know I'll be spending upwards of $10 for a combo meal. If I want something to just fill the gullet, I'll get something off one of the national chain's $.99 value menu. But I'm not going to tell the local burger joint they're too expensive or that I can get it cheaper somewhere else.

You really DO get what you pay for.
        Exactly - the Redneck Woman was wrong when she sang "Victoria's Secret, their stuff's real nice, but I can get the same damn thing on a Walmart rack half price". I guess she doesn't mind the ends of the "invisible thread" (a.k.a. fishing line) poking her in a VERY sensitive place.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Exactly - the Redneck Woman was wrong when she sang "Victoria's Secret, their stuff's real nice, but I can get the same damn thing on a Walmart rack half price". I guess she doesn't mind the ends of the "invisible thread" (a.k.a. fishing line) poking her in a VERY sensitive place.
          Though these days the quality of the PINK store has gone down so badly that I switched to the red bullseye store because their quality is better.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth zigcat View Post
            Speaking of song parodies, I came up with a Midnight Oil inspired parody about a co-worker addicted to Twitter. It's short but to the point

"Why does he text while the pizza's turnin'
            How can he tweet while the breads are burnin?"

OMG! That is hilarious!!! I LOVE that song! my dad hated that song, but I absolutely loved it!!
            "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
              17 large pizzas of various makes and toppings
              20 pans of pasta
              total bill with tax = (approximately) $325

When the totall for the "order" is given, they exclaim "THAT MUCH FOR ALL OF THAT???????????" and prompty cancel the order.
              Fucking idiots. 17 large pizzas with toppings! 20 pans of pasta? How much did they THINK it was gonna cost?

Yes, moron, it IS that much for ALL OF THAT, since there is a lot there in all of that.

And even those familiar with rudimentary math can figure out rather quickly that that comes to less than ten bucks for each pizza and pan of pasta. Personally, I think that's one HELL of a fucking deal.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I see a lot of this where I work. People will just grab a whole bunch of crap, and then promptly forget that they only had, "that much" in their account....and look at me with puppy dog eyes to try and court me into lowering the prices. I admit, I have the ability to override the prices, but I never do, unless it's something like a sale that just won't go through the system.

This is why, whenever I go shopping (grocery, clothes, etc), I give myself a set amount of CASH only. If you have a card, you're too tempted to spend and spend and spend. If you have a finite supply, then you're less likely to get carried away.

Comment

When I read the title, the Boston song was the first thought in my head, but you guys beat me to the punch on making a parody. Great job of it!!! My friend and I were always into Weird Al when we were young, and would re-do song that he never did, turning Duran Duran "New Moon on Monday" into "Too Soon on Sunday", etc.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    Thanks.

Back in the mid-Nineties, I was THIS close to a local radio station producing a parody I had written. And when I say "THIS close," I mean that producers from the station actually called me and talked to me about it after I had submitted it.
                    Back in the late Eighties, an Arizona radio station (I think it was KZZP) did play a song parody my husband wrote. It was a song about then-governor Evan Mecham to the tune of the Eagles' "Desperado".

Back OT, people are always shocked at the price of fabric at my store, despite the fact that the price is prominently written on the label on the end of the bolt. Even worse, sometimes we get a bolt with a yardage sticker (usually bright orange and saying something like "9.375 yardage") and the customer thinks that is the price. Well, let's see, there's the word "yardage", the total lack of a dollar sign, the fact that prices don't go to three decimal places and the fact that there is a price on the bolt, written as "$12.99/yd". Selective Reading Disorder strikes again.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      Back in the late Eighties, an Arizona radio station (I think it was KZZP) did play a song parody my husband wrote. It was a song about then-governor Evan Mecham to the tune of the Eagles' "Desperado".
                      Ah, yes...Evan Mecham. The man responsible for me going from a politically apathetic teenager to politically active young adult. Oh, the stories I could tell....

But speaking of stories, do tell more about this parody. Specifically, do you have a copy of it that you can upload to the site for us to peruse? Or at the very least, a copy of the lyrics?

Don't remember KZZP....wonder what station it was. (Though of course, not every Arizona station was based out of Phoenix....)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Nope. I did as well. And that inspired THIS:

"I called up this evening but Zigcat was gone.
                        Ordered a pizza to start my night.
                        I lost myself cause I ordered it wrong.
                        I opened my mouth and started a fight...

It's more than a pizza, because I ordered it with random shit (more than a pizza).
                        I wanna be eating (more than a pizza).
                        'Till I see the pizza guy walkin' this way.
                        I see my pizza guy walkin' this way..."
                        That is GREAT!

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                          All you gotta do is put the numbers in and hit the little + or - buttons.
                          I agree with you, but I have to gripe that prices in the US should include tax. After living in Japan and Europe, that fluctuating price at the register surprises me every time. It has not come to a point where I do not have enough at the register, but it has changed some of my plans for later on.

That being said, I tend to round up for everything in a feeble attempt to be surprised when there is money left over.

Comment

AG, I've said it before and I'll say it again....there is a huge difference between what "should be" and what "is." You may not like the way the American pricing system works, and you may think it should be set up differently, but the fact remains that it is set up the way it is, and is highly unlikely to change significantly anytime soon. Anytime you live in a culture, you need to adapt and adjust yourself to the way things work in that culture, if you don't want to be constantly confused or inconvenienced by it. Just as you would not expect the Japanese system to change itself to accommodate a relocated American, the American system is not going to change to accommodate others. This has nothing to do with what is fair or right or logical or just or intelligent. Just with what is. Since, as I said, there is a huge difference between what "should be"...and what "is."

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              But speaking of stories, do tell more about this parody. Specifically, do you have a copy of it that you can upload to the site for us to peruse? Or at the very least, a copy of the lyrics?
                              Somewhere in the decades of debris we've racked up, there's probably a notebook with the song lyrics. It may take a few years to find it. I know it started with "Evan Mecham / Why don't you come to your senses / You've been on the defensive for so long now..."

I'd be very surprised if there was an audio copy anywhere. He didn't sing it, a female friend did.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

But how did he not get a copy of it?

While I have no idea where they are now--probably somewhere in my storage unit in Phoenix--I made a point to get a copy not only of the awesome radio station ID I co-voiced with Bart Simpson (and some amazing editing on the part of yours truly), but also of the radio okay that I produced and edited, even though I was not one of the voice actors in it.

I just can't understand how someone could right a parody brilliant enough to get produced, get it produced....and not get a copy of it.

Hell, I even have a copy of the tv show I appeared in at my bar, even though my screen time is maybe 15-30 seconds of the entire 22 minute show, with only one spoken line making the final cut.

Hell, I almost forgot...I even have a copy of the A&E (or was it Biography?) program that was shot here in Key West about pirates, in which I appeared as an extra, but did not even make the final cut. Though I am mentioned in the final credits as one of the extras, and thus can, in fact, be found in imdb.com. Which is funny, really...I've been on tv twice (once in the aforementioned program that filmed at my bar, with a speaking line), and once on the news in Phoenix during the Evan Mecham debacle--and was even mentioned by name in the news years later when I ran in--and lost--a mayoral election, and yet the only mention of me on imdb.com is for a show that no one can ever see me in.
                                Last edited by Jester; 08-21-2013, 05:44 PM.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X