This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    Their non-emergency number is 305-809-1111." (Yes, I know the Key West PD number off the top of my head. I see it all the time on their cars!)
    It's 911 here >_> Yes, for non-emergencies. I have even gone and looked up a direct line before and called it, and when I said why I was calling, they told me to hang up and call 911. Maybe they just wanted to keep it simple for the sake of the Stupids.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      " Feel free to call the police. Their non-emergency number is 305-809-1111.".
      Makes me wonder if they ever had 5-digit dialling on the Island, in which case it would have been just 91111 until mandatory 7-digit came in.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
        I'm thinking more along the lines of dressing up like the Blues Brothers.

Now that would give that guy a good reason to pee his pants.
        But I want to be a pirate
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          A question to all readers, has anyone ever got into trouble from a SC calling the cops on them for doing their job?
          There are several posts in this forum about SCs calling the police when denied something at a store, only to be arrested because they had outstanding warrents against them. I think the Gord had one or too like that also.

As for the OP, too bad that guy's car had a permit on it.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I feel the need to point out that Argabarga is not actually searching cars, he is merely checking them for the proper parking permits.
            And more importantly he's looking in through the glass windows without touching the cars. That is perfectly legal and doesn't require any permits from the landlord or warrants from a judge. Even a cop can do it *without* probable cause.

"I can drink more booze than YOU can and get more chicks than YOU can, therefore I'm a badass, ergo, YOU can't make ME do anything!"
            off topic but I knew a guy who use to "bank" on that attitude. he'd challenge guys in that age range to drinking contests. If they won he'd buy them dinner. But if HE won they'd have to enlist. None of the young men ever won... but one of them DID pay up on the agreement and showed up at the recruiter's office. not sure if he made it in though.

but yeah... snooping-man seems to me like those types that think they're right so they're going to argue you until you die of old age... until you call their bluff and say "OK call the cops" cos ... they're expecting it to be the trump card, and they're not expecting you to not care (mainly because you already know the cops will take your side)

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
              But I want to be a pirate
              You can still be a pirate if you want. But a pirate with cool shades.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Pirates are in this year.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
                  And we have a winner!
                  Slid right by him with that one, did you?
                  Sometimes you see cars with license plates that say "Kent" in odd places....

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    Makes me wonder if they ever had 5-digit dialling on the Island, in which case it would have been just 91111 until mandatory 7-digit came in.
                    I am sure they did.

Hell, when I first got here years ago, most of the landlines had prefixes of 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, etc. So a lot of the locals would give a phone number of 296-1234 as
                    "6-1234." And the "29" was understood.

Of course, you still had to DIAL the initial 29...but I would not be surprised if that all stemmed from a prior situation where five digit dialing was normal.

With the growth of cell phones, the influx of more non-Key Westers to the island, and the general addition of more numbers for various reasons, no one really ever gives out numbers in that old 5 digit method anymore. While I am tempted to do it sometimes, I know most people just wouldn't get it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                      interestingly back in high school one of my classmates remembered when 5-digit dialing was still available. i mean obviously we were already on 7 digit (70s or 80s) but the phone company hadn't actually disabled the former numbers.

She loved it cos with the old system her number was pretty interesting. instead of being #abc-cccd it was #cc-ccd and that it freaked out people to see her dial it

course back then... i still remember party-lines too (one of the neighbors had one in the 70s)

Comment

In some places in Britain, people still say "Littleborough 4567", since that was what you had to tell the operator before the automatic trunk system was introduced. If you were already in Littleborough, you could dial 4567 straight away. Local delivery vans and shop premises still often use the old system for advertising.

Nowadays, what you have to dial is more like 01706 824567. If you are already local, you dial 824567, since the 01706 area code covers a decent chunk of the Pennine industrial belt, not just one or two towns. Fortunately the phone directories in Britain have an index for converting the old exchange names to the new prefixes.

Comment

I still get the occasional person who will give me a phone number in 7-digit format. Usually if I know where they're calling from I realize why - they are in a location where the population is sparse and everyone has the same area code still. Most of us here in the US and even Canada, though, almost always have to use our area codes now, so it's just natural to give the whole thing to someone.
                          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

For some reason, I keep thinking "Transylvania 6-5000" every time I read this thread. Been a loooong time since I last saw that movie, too...
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              For some reason, I keep thinking "Transylvania 6-5000" every time I read this thread. Been a loooong time since I last saw that movie, too...
                              ...Which is, of course, a poke at PEnnsylvania 6-5000...
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

They may not do it anymore, but whenever someone had to give out a phone number in The Simpsons, they used to use numbers that were expressed as "KLondike - 55555" , a joke on the fact that "555" is a fictional phone exchange in the US and only ever gets used in fictional works where someone needs to discuss a phone number, but they don't want to use a real one that people will then pester the real owner of just to "see if it works" and that it meant Springfield had a horribly antiquated phone system using 1950's opeator patched tech in the 1990's, this being before widespread cellphone use, everyone still had a land line and probably "got" the joke that nowadays would just go over your head if you didn't know a little history.

When the song "Jenny" came out in 1982, the unlucky few who had the number 867-5309 in an area where that was a valid exchange quickly had to change it, for obvious reasons.
                                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X