This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's shop during a tornado

We had a bit of a surprise tornado warning today. I was ringing up a customer and I heard the announcement come over the mall PA system. I finished their transaction and told them where to go to stay safe. I then started to evacuate my store and tell those customers where to go. As I am herding them out, a woman walks in. I just stared at her for a moment, and then said, "Ma'am, there is a tornado warning. You need to go to the nearest safe place."

She kind of shrugged and kept walking in to the store.

"Ma'am. You need to leave my store and go to (place a) or (place b) because there is a TORNADO WARNING and it is not safe to be in my store.

At that point she left, but I was just like, really? What shoes can be so important that you're just going to shop through a tornado warning?

Hey, take a look at this.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

This reminds me of a Sighting I was meaning to post...

The short version is, people tend to brush off warnings as "Oh, they're just being paranoid, it's not going to happen to ME" and...well. Yeah.
      "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

And there she is!

I also had to kind of yell at my employees... after it was all over, I heard that the tornado touched down near where my parents live. I asked E to take over for me at the register so I could call my parents and make sure they weren't blown away. Then I realized the phone wasn't up front, so I told E to go do something in the back that she needed to do but to please bring me the phone. Several minutes later, I am still on the sales floor alone (well, not alone... we got really busy). When I had a break in customers, I ran to the back and said very loudly "IT'S REALLY BUSY AND THE TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN WHERE MY PARENTS LIVE! PLEASE GO OUT ON TO THE SALES FLOOR SO I CAN CALL THEM AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT DEAD."

(My parents were fine)

Comment

Or maybe it's this one.

Stupid tornadoes, ruining golf and shopping and homes.

Comment

When the sirens go off we shut down all the registers and inform customers they can leave or go to the safe part of our building. We get the ones who decide to stay settled back there and just as quickly they start wandering off to other parts of the store. Then it's like herding cats.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              Then it's like herding cats.
              This made me laugh. I had a vision of little gi joe dolls riding dogs with lassos.
              But seeing as how there is a cat currently in coma mode on my bed, I know how pointless it is to try to get even ONE to go where you want, let alone a whole herd.

Comment

Quoth NotAlBundy View Post

What shoes can be so important that you're just going to shop through a tornado warning?

Ruby slippers?
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                  Ruby slippers?
                  Good point, but even then you're still going to get blown away and have to deal with the wicked witch (me, if you don't get out and let ME take shelter) before you get to go home...

Comment

There was one time Mom, sis and I were shopping at the local Target.

As it was spring on Oklahoma, a thunderstorm nearby sprung up a tornado.

The employees gathered everyone up and we huddled in the men's underwear section until our area got the all clear.

I still have no idea what was so important that we were shopping in a thunderstorm.
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Hey--that's where we go: the men's underwear. I guess if stuff is gonna fly around and hit me, I'd rather it be soft. But shoes are across tha aisle....

And barainga: one of my greatest pleasures is making people laugh. I have to admit I picked up that phrase from someone here.

Comment

The tornado shelter areas at the swamp are:

1. the optical center, or
                        2. the public bathrooms

I have been at work when tornado warnings were issued for the county, but have never seen the tornado procedures actually carried out. Just an announcement made over the PA that a tornado warning was issued and we're watching the weather conditions and will move people to the shelters if the weather gets worse.

Comment

My sister and I were once walking through the mall while a torrential downpour went on outside. You could hear it pounding the hell out of the glass roof. Had us trying to figure out where to run if the glass panels got smashed....and all around us were stores with floor to ceiling glass fronts...
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Oh, our mall has those ceilings, too. Uh oh. Well, there are certain hallways.

Comment

Once at the Hut of Pizza a tornado touched down several times near town.

The local PD pulled their vehicles off the street, I pulled my drivers in, and, since it was close to closing anyway, started shutting things down.

Then Buddy called.

Buddy couldn't believe that we were letting a storm, with continuing significant property damage around town stop us from delivering pizzas.

I didn't even want to sell him a carry-out order. What kind of idiot dodges downed power lines and trees to get a twelve dollar pizza?

Buddy did.

So we made it.

He arrived, and in turns accused us of being "cowards" and "stupid" for not delivering him a pizza, and berating us for "making" him risk his life and safety picking up a pizza.

He had a very punchable face.

I consider that one of my life's great missed opportunities.
                              I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X