This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry for taking a lunch break..

I've been lucky enough to work in the pharmacy over the last three weeks as opposed to cashiering, a job I happen to despise.

Anyway, this happened a couple of days ago. The pharmacy where I work is required to close for lunch from 1:30 to 2 pm every day. We have signs up that say it, and we are careful to inform customers that we will be closing. It's not as though we're lying to customers or not telling them.

So, the other day, we got hit with a huge line of customers wanting to pick up their meds around 1:00. Myself and one of my coworkers were covering the window, doing our best to get people in and out quickly and in time.

But of course it didn't happen, so we had a couple of customers left at 1:35. Once they were gone, we adjusted the sign to say we'd be back at 2:05 because we wanted our full 1/2 hour break.

We figured no one would care, and we did put the new time on the sign, but when we came back there was a line and, joy of joys, there was a disgruntled customer standing at the window.

When he sees us coming, this happens:

Disgruntled Customer: Hey, how about some CUSTOMER SERVICE here?! It's way past 2!

We just walk past, not saying anything to DC. The General Merchandise Manager stops T, one of our most experienced technicians, to tell her that DC accosted her, demanding that she call the store manager.

Guess what he wanted?

He wanted GMM to call SM and have him order us to "get our butts down to the pharmacy and get him his meds." Yeah.

God forbid we should take our full lunch break. We're allowed a 30 minute break and that's it. We were held up past 1:30, so it makes sense that we'd adjust the time, right? DC was out of line.

Hooray for entitled customers, they must have their item NOW and if you are on a break or it is Christmas time, who cares. Of course if you had been waiting for them, then it would have only been a couple of seconds but since they had to wait for you, it was at least 10 minutes.
    "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

DC, like all SCs, can't read signs. He's probably used to the 1:30 pm - 2:00 pm schedule, and was too lazy to read the new sign which clearly stated you were coming back at 2:05 pm.

Comment

I guess that I should stop expecting SCs to read signs and use common sense. But I just hope that one day, there will be more people who don't think that reading signs is below them.

Comment

Used to get this back when I worked in the charity bookstore after leaving college. I often volunteered to work all day, opening and closing, cuz they were short of staff. Cuz of the staff shortage, this meant that I had to close the bookstore from 12 to 1, in order to go and get some lunch. The amount of idiots who moaned at me for doing so was unbelievable; firstly, this is a flipping charity bookstore, there's nothing there that you simply have to get in that time. Second, I am not a robot, I am a human being and do occasionally need to eat, drink or use the loo. Sometimes I'd nip off to go to the loo and return a couple of minutes later to a sulky customer whining, "I've been waiting for hours!" Um, no you haven't.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Sorry, five minutes past 2:00 is not "way past two." I loathe customers like this.

I once had a guy on my FIRST call of the day at 8:30 AM start off with, "Are you all finished with your break now?" I coldly informed him that I start work at 8:30. Naturally he didn't apologize.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Customer time strikes again.

I used to work for a YMCA preschool that held a giant rummage sale every year. We opened at 9. By 7:30, there'd be a line outside the gate. They'd start screaming about 8:50. "IT'S 9 OPEN THE GATE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE OPEN WHARRGBBRRLLL".

Comment

I was at a church-run charity booksale and there had been people lined up since before I arrived (twenty minutes before the doors opened). One man demanded to be let in early "since he would know straight away if there was anything worth him buying". He was refused and went in with the rest of us. I had been told about a special book that had been put aside for purchase and went to look at it. Five minutes later this man stormed up towards the doors and spat at a whole group of elderly volunteers something about "I told you I could just have looked. Thanks for wasting my time!" and stormed out.

I have to admit that he was roundly mocked after he left... There is nothing funnier than hearing a group of prim and proper church volunteers getting their revenge on someone by being super-rude about them.
                "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Working...
                X