X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Steals Handicap Scooter & Other Stories

Oh yeah, this was an interesting day!

10 minutes after clocking in I had a call for a disorderly man refusing to leave one of our stores. I get there with a coworker and here's the deal. Man bought and paid for part Q that had to be ordered. Man got call that part Q had come in. Man then asked 'oh, I also want part X.' Man is told 'Ok, we'll have part X for you when you pick-up Part Q, you can pay the $25 for part X then.' Man comes to store to pick-up parts and refuses to pay for Part X, claiming it was included in what he originally paid even though receipt shows ONLY PART Q. Man refuses to even take part Q and says he will come back and speak with the manager, which is what happened when he came-in today loaded for bear and ready for a fight. He pretty much told the manager that the store lies, the employees try to rip people off, and he wants a refund - only he didn't use such polite words. As a result, manager told him to leave the store and he could call in his refund over the phone. Man called the cops, manager called us, etc. Manager agrees to do his refund now, but man is NEVER welcome back in the store. Que man bitching about how he's a business man too, this isn't how you run a business, etc. (I looked him up, he runs a small company that I will be sure to never use now!) Police ensure man is satisfied, I make sure man leaves store. Phew. It takes a LOT to get this manager upset, so that man must have been ready for a fight when he got there.

Coworker sees a lady on an electric scooter from Mart of Wal aaaaallll the way on the other side of the mall headed towards the road. Coworker watches her, because as soon as she hits the property line we're calling the police. Cue the cart's power running-out juuuust before she makes it Cue lady trying to scoot cart along with her feet (the wheels pretty-much lock-up without power). Cue lady trying to physically push cart off-property, then getting pissy when she sees coworker watching her. Cue lady grabbing half her shopping bags and powerwalking into the nearest mall entrance, and us trying to figure out how to get this dead cart to the other side of the mall. Then, an ambulance pulls-up to the store closest to the entrance that lady walked-into. The EMTs tell us that they had a call for a woman wanting to go to the hospital who would be waiting at that entrance The employees at that store help us look for anyone needing assistance. Nobody did, the ambulance left. Coworker has a hunch that the lady called an ambulance either to try and get a free ride home or, as it seems now, to distract us while she tries to take another electric cart and ride it off-property. He finds the woman has already made it back to Mart of Wal, but when she sees him, realizes she won't be able to get away and sits at the bus stop to pout. By this time Mart of Wal carted the scooter back with a truck, with the rest of the lady's groceries in it, which they bring to customer service. Coworker tells lady that her groceries are at customer service so she can pick them up. Lady ignores him and waits for the bus, leaving while never claiming 4-bags of groceries. We figured that she might have stolen the stuff to begin with and wasn't going to risk going back into the store.

Cleaning found a beach bag in the lady's room containing a half-dozen plastic alarm cases that video games come in, along with the packaging for a set of screwdrivers I went to the game stores trying to figure out whose cases they were. They ended-up belonging to Mart of Wal, and were still active. So someone walked-out with a bag full of video games, took them out of the cases in our bathroom, and either left with them or sold them to one of the game stores. Oh, and the beach bag was one of Mart of Wal's too and very eye-catching, so at least they have a time frame and something to look for while they try to find video of who stole the games.

The icing on the weird cake was a small store employee (who I'm told has commented that he thinks I'm weird) randomly told me how earlier he thought he only had to fart, but accidentally sh*t his pants instead. Thanks dude, you're cute and all, but I really didn't need to know that!

And it's only Tuesday!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

He tells you he crapped his pants and he thinks (wrong word there I am sure) YOU'RE weird. boy is he off

Comment

Oh. My. What a day! Craziness all around!
      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
      What's the difference?
      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

That entire story of the woman is just.....odd. Imagine, world's wildest police chases going after a woman on a scooter.

I've seen people adament to get away with something, but never heard of someone trying to sneak off in an ambulance. Other than on Die Hard. Seriously. Or, trying to take off on an electric scooter, and honestly believe they'll get somewhere quickly, unnoticed.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

At the supermarket, someone tried to steal one of the wheelchairs once. O_o

There are about three wheelchairs which are kept at Customer Services for the use of anyone who needs one to do their shopping; they can also have a staff member go about with them to help them. A guy of around twenty grabbed one and tried to make off with it out the doors; he was sitting in it and wheeling it like crazy. The security guard nabbed him just as he got thru the doors.

Another time, I was putting stuff back on the shelves when I came accross a wheelchair abandoned in an aisle. I told my supervisor, who reckoned that some kids had probably taken it for a joyride.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

There should be a special spot in hell reserved for anyone who leaves a scooter at the far reaches of the lot and out of power. Those things are heavy and our local Mart of Wal does not have a truck. That's right, the cart guys have to drag/carry the damn things.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

How about an electric scooter that was somehow able to be ridden up onto and ditched on a huge, multi foot high snow bank?

I'm sure the person who did that was truly, truly handicapped. In the head.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                Another time, I was putting stuff back on the shelves when I came accross a wheelchair abandoned in an aisle. I told my supervisor, who reckoned that some kids had probably taken it for a joyride.

When I worked at Kohls a few years back we kept our wheelchairs by the entrance doors. We'd have kids all the time taking the things for joy rides. It was crazy!
                "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I wish the cops could have been called, at least get a report with this woman's name and address on file for any future reoccurrances. And a ban might not be a bad idea either.

And _nobody_ abandons 4 bags of groceries. I agree they were probably stolen in the first place.

Your mall does seem to attract some real nutjobs...

Comment

The scooters need to have this feature, just like on Don Garlits' dragster:

http://youtu.be/C0KmGfBCJtQ

Comment

No way would that ambulance ride have been free. The one time I was rushed to the ER in one, the bill was $500!

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                        When I worked at Kohls a few years back we kept our wheelchairs by the entrance doors. We'd have kids all the time taking the things for joy rides. It was crazy!
                        I just don't see the appeal myself... well, they do say that little things please little minds. XD
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                          The scooters need to have this feature, just like on Don Garlits' dragster:

http://youtu.be/C0KmGfBCJtQ
                          Not to derail, but that was one of the coolest wrecks I've ever seen! (Thank god (spoiler, highlight) nobody was hurt."

Comment

Working...
                          X