X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Glorious Day and Some Misc. Stories- long

Coupon Trouble
    So, The past week I was on vacation for the most part. 4 Day weekend, yeehaw! So, obviously, there were things I wasn't told. We have a fantastic deal on soda going on. 5/$12 bucks. Well, its 4/$12 but we have a coupon that makes the 5th free. Apparently we had to keep the coupons. I was not told this, didn't think to ask. Thankfully it was my STL (acts like a manager, but mostly works inventory) and we are good friends. More like a lesbian mother figure so to speak. I told her why I haven't kept any. Hopefully my other managers will feel the same. Not like we can't get anymore printed up anyways.

Register Trouble
    Now, my love affair with my our new regsiters has returned. Except when it does not wanna work for me. Also the SC's fault, mostly Joey's and mine though. They never warn me they want something else, after I hit the "Payment" button. It usually lets me go back to add said item. When I tell the customer that I have to do another transaction, they get so pissed off. I should learn not to be so gun-ho with the Joey .

The Line That Never Ends
    OMFG!!!!!!!!!!! For a straight hour, my line was non stop. I kept calling for help, no one budged. So when people wait for so long, they get into SC mode. Poor Joey got tapped more than my dog's loofah in an hour .

Misc. Story 1- IDing for Smokes
    My personal favorite favorite story from the past:
    Lady walks in with her 16 year old daughter. This takes place
    Mom- What cigarettes do you want
    Daughter- *cheap disgusting brand* is this price, I'll take those
    M- Ok
    *walks up to me*
    M- I will take a pack of *cheap disgusting brand* please
    Me- Ok, I will need her ID, though *points to D*
    M- Why, they are for me?
    Me- I heard you talking to her about what kind of cigarettes she wanted
    M- No, I asked her what the prices were
    Me- No can do
    M- Shes 16, just give me th cigarettes, here's my ID
    Me- Sorry, can't sell it to you. And I don't need your ID
    M- Let me speak to your manager
    The Ninja*- What's wrong ma'am?
    M- She won't let me buy the cigs
    *Ninja looks at me for the reason, I tell story*
    Ninja- Sorry, we can't
    M- What if I walked out and came back in?
    Ninja- Theres a 24 hr cool off period, sorry, we can't. She would get fined, I would get fined and the store would get fined. And possible jail time.
    M and D walk off.
    *Ninja was basically Mr. Clean with the blue button down manager's shirt and blue tie and a goatee. Miss that man. Too bad he transfered. He also disappeared and reappeared out of nowhere.
    Disclaimer: I would have sold her the smokes if they didn't talk about purchasing it for the daughter. Her excuse was she lets her daughter smoke, she should be able to buy it for her. People are such idiots (yes, I ahve known that since I was like 3). I don't give two s***s who smokes or not, except when I can't sell due to the law.

Misc. Story 2- The Dude Who Can't Carry Objects
    Guy comes up with 10 sports drinks weighing prolly a good pound each. Finish ringing him up and he said in a really ticked off mood that I make the bag light cause he can't carry heavy things. When done, he grabs all of the bags with one hand and walks off in a huff.

Misc. Story 3 a&b- Mr. I'm Gonna be a Rude Man
    One of my regulars who finally calmed down (or laid off the liquor):
    Part One:
    Comes in asking about a cologne. One of my ex coworkers was helping him out. He then asked where the shoe insoles were, so I showed him then walked back. He comes back, with the insoles in his shirt and I let the ex CW help him while I took care of another customer. Here it is:
    RM- I was here first
    ECW- I am helping you, she is using the other register to help the other customer
    Me- She can still help you, sir
    *RM walks off*

Part Two:
    RM comes up to buy a newspaper. This is 7 am. I'm not even awake, but somehow moving around. When he finished paying, he walked out. Figured something was wrong and comes back in and shoves the damn paper in my face . I asked what was wrong, but he said nothing for like a min. He then gets irate and says that the thing should be 2 bucks not 3. Ok, we can get that fixed, BUT USE YOUR WORDS. Wish I coulda yelled that.

Misc. Story 4- Really, I am not an Idiot, Lady
    Bah. So, last year we took our coin machine away. It was my first love, even before working for my store (used to frequent it ages ago). When it first got taken away, people were like "Oh, its gone? Since when?" One lady took it too far. She goes in this snobbish attitude and says "Oh, you can count." I just gave her a look of disbelief.
    A. The only register that had the machine was the front
    B. I am quite the math wiz, suck at grammar (if anyone can't tell )
    C. That is one of the most ignorant things you can say to a cashier. Coins isn't the only thing I handle. Dollar bills are just basically big forms of cash (of course more worth, but thats not the point). They go into 1's 5's and 10's. Easy to count.

Well, I think thats all I can think of right now. Gonna take my last day off until Wed to de SC myself a little. And also, de-egg myself. I had enough with the damned Easter eggs already.

Quoth cashierbex View Post
    Misc. Story 4- Really, I am not an Idiot, Lady
    Bah. So, last year we took our coin machine away. It was my first love, even before working for my store (used to frequent it ages ago). When it first got taken away, people were like "Oh, its gone? Since when?" One lady took it too far. She goes in this snobbish attitude and says "Oh, you can count." I just gave her a look of disbelief.
    "Yes, I CAN count. I can count the number of rude customers and customers I won't help anymore... ..one."

Comment

This may vary from state to state, but I seem to recall it being legal for a parent or legal guardian to purchase cigarettes for their child. Perhaps the law has changed in the last several years, though, but I remember the law wasn't as strict about cigarettes as they are about alcohol.

Still, it's pretty bad to, as a parent, enable their minor to smoke like that.
      Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
      Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
      Fiancee: What?!
      Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Guy comes up with 10 sports drinks weighing prolly a good pound each. Finish ringing him up and he said in a really ticked off mood that I make the bag light cause he can't carry heavy things. When done, he grabs all of the bags with one hand and walks off in a huff.
        I've had people tell me that the bag makes the goods lighter to carry. Not sure how that works, especially when they then put it in a canvas shopping bag after.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
          I've had people tell me that the bag makes the goods lighter to carry. Not sure how that works, especially when they then put it in a canvas shopping bag after.

Rapscallion
          Yeah. In a way that makes sense. But carrying 10+ pounds worth of liquid plus the weight of the bottle and some added weight of the bags, in one hand does not make it lighter.

Comment

If the bags were the typical plastic bags my grocery stores use, I would also want lighter bags to keep the bag handles from breaking. But that does not appear to have been that guy's problem.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post

Rapscallion
              If you ever figure that one out, let me know. I'm still boggled by that one as well.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

if he only had 2 pounds of drinks to carry... what exactly does he call "heavy" lifting?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  if he only had 2 pounds of drinks to carry... what exactly does he call "heavy" lifting?
                  I don't know either.

The way my math works, 2 lbs even divided up will still weigh up to 2 lbs altogether. Maybe it's different in the SC world?
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

It was more like ten. If he had a cart, that would show he can't lift it. But to grab em with one arm with complaining them to be too heavy, thats a WTF moment.

Comment

ID

Quoth thehuckster View Post
                      This may vary from state to state, but I seem to recall it being legal for a parent or legal guardian to purchase cigarettes for their child. Perhaps the law has changed in the last several years, though, but I remember the law wasn't as strict about cigarettes as they are about alcohol.

Still, it's pretty bad to, as a parent, enable their minor to smoke like that.
                      Even then I am sure that you have the right to ask for ID to ensure that the younger person is related/guarded to the older person.

Comment

I've had a person who asked for ciggies and was refused sale, due to looking younger than twenty five (yes, I know it's eighteen they have to be, but we are operating under Think 25) actually say in front of my till to their friend, "OK, you buy me my cigarettes cuz that cow won't sell them to me."

I took great pleasure in refusing that sale, too. Proxy sales are not allowed, m'kay; if you're going to get someone to buy you your smokes, then at least hold the conversation someplace that isn't right in front of me.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                          I've had a person(...) actually say in front of my till to their friend, "OK, you buy me my cigarettes cuz that cow won't sell them to me."

I took great pleasure in refusing that sale, too.
                          I had that too - wouldn't let a 20ish year old buy a bottle of Cava to 'anoint her best friends baby's head' only for her to try to add it to the alcohol her Grandmother was buying with her shopping. Grandmother was lucky she got her own alcohol purchases at that point!
                          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
                          X