This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DM stood up for me!

Today I had a "lady" come through the drive thru with an expired coupon. The coupon in question expired 5 days ago and was one from corporate, not a store coupon. Store coupons we do not get reimbursed for so we tend to let expirations slide on those, but corporate coupons we do get reimbursed for, so we are more strict on those.
    I instructed the crew member not to take it and I instantly hear the lady yell "HAVENT YOU HEARD THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT?!"
    Oh boy.
    So I go speak with her. I wish I remembered the conversation better, because this lady was a real winner, but sadly I don't, so I'm not going to try and butcher it. I explained to her that we couldn't take the coupon and that it was expired and I do remember her saying things like:
    "It's not that expired."
    "You can still take it." and
    "So you're telling me no!?!"

I explained to her how we do not get reimbursed for the expired coupons and that I couldn't take it. Then I see her take her phone out and get down the number to our corporate office. Ugh. You see, my bosses are spineless and even though I'm falling policy, if she complains I will still get in trouble for having a customer complaint.

So I caved. I tell her that what I'm going to do is get one of the coupons I have from my personal collection that isn't expired and use it for her today, but she will have to keep in mind that we will not take expired coupons in the future.

She still calls. Stupid bitch. Might as well not have done anything nice for you. I hate your face!

Anyway, I tell my DM about this and suprisingly, she takes my side!
    She gets the name and number of this lady from the complaint she filed and the DM calls her and totally takes my side to the customer!
    It was the best thing I ever heard, because even though I couldn't hear the customer anymore I could tell she was pissed! DM was explaining that we don't take expired coupons and that furthermore, her complaint that I was rude to her was invalid, because DM was 10 feet away from me at the time and heard the whole thing! (I don't think she was really paying attention, but still, nice to have someone have your back sometimes.)
    The customer interrupted her many times to inform DM that the customer is always right and that I gave poor customer service in refusing her expired coupon. DM informed her that if anyone takes an expired coupon that they are doing it out of the kindness of their heart and are not obligated to. She further explained how businesses are there to make money and not give away free product and take a loss on it.
    She also told the customer (but in much nicer words) that she wasn't even sure why the customer was complaining since I had taken the coupon anyway.
    Customer asked for her name and postion and threatened to call the 800 number on her.

I really wish I could convey in words the attitude this woman had. She was the single most entitled person I have ever dealt with at work and she really seemed to think she could get us in trouble for not giving her free food, because she possessed a worthless piece of paper. It was like she was really bitter about stores not giving her free stuff so she decided to have the biggest attitude in the world in order to get it. Her voice was threatening, condescending, and entitled all rolled into one. It is really frustrating to me how I cannot seem to describe the pain this woman was.

But anyway, my boss might get a 800 complaint, because she defended me! (Don't worry, she won't get in trouble.)

Oh, don't worry, we can all imagine her entitled tone of voice quite well, as we've all heard it! It's great that your manager stood up for you. Wish that happened more often.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Why is it always "bad customer service" when we don't cave and just give them whatever?? Maybe they are of the generation that raised itself, and had whatever it wanted because the parents weren't around/felt guilty.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

it's because they're still in "fight" mode and refuse to calm down. and because they think "i'm angry" means "you have to do more for me"

same reason why we see letters at PFB where people get complete comps for meals and they're still upset... therefore the company owes them something

Comment

DM = District Manager to me.

If I am reading that right, DMs wages are partly reflected in how much money the stores make. Store freebies cut into the DM's income.

Comment

Ah yes, the "No = Rude" attitude. Too bad we can't complain about these entitlemoos to anyone.
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
              DM = District Manager to me.

If I am reading that right, DMs wages are partly reflected in how much money the stores make. Store freebies cut into the DM's income.
              This is true, but customer complaints cut into the DM's job security.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Wait until that same customer comes back demanding FREE food. After all, the customer is "always right" and she's given your location "a lot of money" so she'll feel entitled to get a free meal every now and then just because she decided to grace you guys with her presence.

I can't wait to hear her complaint story on THAT!

Comment

You know.. I got a beef with this "the customer is always right" shit. Pardon my language.. I'd love to explain this to a smart mouth who spits out, "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT"

I'd say, "Do you work at a Ferrari dealership? Please say 'yes'... Ok. Let's say that I go to your dealership, and I buy a Ferrari keychain. That makes me a paying customer, right? Right! Ok, don't interrupt me. Moving on... So I'm a paying customer since I bought a Ferrari keychain. Then I can say I've loved Ferraris since I was a kid, always read about the history and the newest cars, always urged my friends to buy one at your dealership, so that makes me entitled to a brand new Ferrari, because I've paid my dues in life and have spread good word about Ferraris, and I'M A PAYING CUSTOMER AND THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!!

Now there.. do you still think the customer is always right? Where do you work at again? I'll be paying a visit there for free stuff.."

Comment

Working...
                  X